Ardelyx is focused on enhancing the way people with kidney and cardiovascular diseases are treated by developing innovative first-in-class medicines. Ardelyx’s pipeline includes tenapanor for the control of serum phosphorus in adult patients with CKD on dialysis, preparing for NDA filing mid-year, and RDX013, a potassium secretagogue program for the potential treatment of high potassium, or hyperkalemia, a problem among certain patients with kidney and/or heart disease. In addition, Ardelyx received FDA approval of IBSRELA (tenapanor) on September 12, 2019. Ardelyx has established agreements for tenapanor with Kyowa Kirin Corporation in Japan, Fosun Pharma in China and Knight Therapeutics in Canada for the development and commercialization of tenapanor in the respective territories.
VP, Information Technology
Purpose of the role:
Ardelyx is seeking an experienced leader to oversee enterprise Information Technology (IT) strategy and vision and drive cross-functional IT needs in the role of VP, Information Technology. This role is a key leadership position that will interact with all levels of management. The right candidate will combine relevant experience both in the life sciences industry, preferably biotechnology and/or pharmaceuticals, and ideally with small to mid-sized public companies. The VP’s goal is to deliver an architecture that supports the most efficient IT environment meeting current needs while preparing for future growth and development. The role requires a hands-on, can do attitude and the ability to juggle IT requirements with the additional demands of a growing organization. The successful candidate will be well versed with industry trends and cutting-edge technologies and be responsible for the development and execution of the enterprise IT strategy, including IT governance, risk & compliance, technology due diligence and selection, project management, and service delivery models. Key to this role will be balancing the technical aspects of this position with the ability to integrate the company’s corporate strategy with IT priorities, taking operational, cybersecurity, data privacy and compliance risk into consideration, while balancing fiscal responsibility.
- Develop and execute IT strategies, schedules, policies and programs for the organization’s data processing, network communications, business operations, telecommunications, computer services, and management information systems
- Create, direct, and own strategic and tactical goals, policies and procedures for the IT department. Work with QA to establish validation scripts, protocols and reports as needed.
- Create, review, and maintain all IT Policy documentation, including and not limited to the IT security plan, change management procedures and disaster recovery strategy
- Establish and manage IT vendor relationships
- Responsible for the design, development, implementation and qualification of organizational information systems, software applications, IT support, and infrastructure systems.
- Identify and analyze emerging information technologies to be assimilated and integrated within the organization
- Manage technical aspects of IT projects and maintenance activities and direct allocation of staff time
- Create business case justifications for IT solutions
- Communicate practical implications of IT system selection and implementation, architectural decisions, issues, and plans to senior management
- Assess and make recommendations for improvements in regard to enterprise data architecture strategy and manage enterprise-wide storage, backup, integration, accessibility of data, and business continuity plans
- Establish programs to monitor/maintain application patches, updates, releases and manage day-to-day IT Operations and escalations, storage, security, enterprise architecture, and telecommunications infrastructure (including phone and video conferencing)
- Develop and implement cyber security strategies and procedures
- Establish strong working relationships with senior leadership team and department managers, in the capacity of a trusted advisor on IT matters
- Responsible for the hiring and training of the IT staff
- Oversee availability of all core IT systems
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, advanced degree a plus
- 10+ years as an information technology/information system leader, with significant senior leadership experience
- Prior management experience in a pharmaceutical, biotechnology or related life sciences environment, including infrastructure and platform development
- Experience transitioning from pre-commercial to commercial stage within an organization a plus
- Experience working in a regulated environment (GxP, (GAMP 5), FDA, SOX)
- Proven experience in IT planning, organization, and development
- Knowledge and practical experience across a formal systems development life cycle including qualification, validation and obsolescence.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Highly detail oriented, with an analytical approach to supporting strategic decision-making
- Ability to align key stakeholders toward a common goal and drive results and facilitate change
- Experience in deployment, integration, and on-going management of enterprise applications
- Experience negotiating with vendors; ability to manage external relationships with contracting firms and application developers
- Active listener with the demonstrated ability to proactively and confidently engage with key stakeholders to gain an understanding of the business' evolving IT needs, develop and recommend innovative and cost-effective solutions, and explain technology-related issues to non-technical audiences
- Experience with systems design and development from business requirements analysis through to day-to-day management
- Excellent understanding of project management principles
- Experience developing, leading and supporting an IT vision and direction including demonstrated experience developing long- and short-term strategic IT plans, developing the associated financial analyses and translating budgeted plans into tactical, actionable operational initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to apply IT in solving business problems
- Demonstrated leadership experience managing, coaching and developing direct reports.
- Technical capability
Experience in cyber securityston, MA or Fremont, CA) with domestic travel up to 25%.
As a member of the Ardelyx team, you will help us in developing and bringing to market first in class medicines to better the lives of underserved patients with cardiorenal diseases. It’s the patients in need that motivate and inspire us to be relentless and work hard every day. They push us to maintain a clear focus on scientific and clinical integrity with a commitment to medical innovation so that we can deliver exceptional medicines.
We are seeking the best in class scientists, advanced thinkers, and people who thrive on collaboration to co-create the future. You will be working with some of the industry's best scientists in a team environment focused on world class research. Ardelyx offers a competitive total rewards package, perks and an innovative and dynamic culture and research environment.