The Vice President of Healthcare Quota Share Reinsurance Underwriting leads, manages and direct profit/loss accountability for Employer Stop Loss accounts and key clients of the Group Re - Healthcare Quota Share team. Directs staff performing underwriting or other services. Leads and manages activities using expert-level of marketing and underwriting risk assessment skills and experience; evaluates and classifies reinsurance risks/cases. Acts as the main client contact on quota share programs as well as liaison between Actuarial, Account Services, Medical Management and Claims departments. Recommends and participates in the development and implementation of process improvements that may extend beyond the area of oversight. Serves as a member of the leadership team providing strategic direction and fostering a spirit of cooperation and coordination among all work areas.
- Appraises and underwrites risks for healthcare and employer stop loss reinsurance with approval authority up to given parameters. Ensures underwriting quotes are sound, competitive and profitable to RGA Re. Makes exceptions within approval authority and RGA philosophy and practice, balancing attention to client relationships and profitable business.
- Develops and manages client relationships by: involvement with business development, providing underwriting solutions through partnering with clients to identify unique, creative ways to solve their problems and improve their business results; effectively communicating, negotiating and selling underwriting decisions; developing, communicating, and implementing innovative audit processes; and developing programs for tracking client exceptions, special programs, and trends in risk selection.
- Performs management duties including, but not limited to, hiring, training, evaluating, coaching, and providing oversight for direct reports. Fosters a positive and engaged work environment. Mentors associates and gives guidance on associate development.
- Performs data analysis for clients, senior management, sales/marketing and actuarial departments by summarizing data resulting in meaningful reports, comparison grids, scorecards, audit planning and result reports. Assume full accountability for audit results and action plans.
- Leads and manages ongoing team/department special projects and organizes or participates in committee meetings as subject matter expert, leader, or team member; client audits and client presentations as required.
- Leads and manages work area activities including, but not limited to, team/department workflow; establishing and monitoring production and quality goals; periodic review of team’s underwriting to ensure adherence to RGA guidelines; and co-signing underwriting risks over Underwriter’s approval authority.
- Contributes actively to and supports the leadership team in developing plans, coordinating activities and in assuring all departments are aware of key activities in the department. Ensures work area goals contribute to accomplishing departmental and RGA objectives.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent related work experience
- 15+ years healthcare related underwriting experience
- 7+ years management experience
- BS/BA Science or Business
- ACS, ALU, FLMI, FALU, or CLU accreditation or progress towards accreditation
- 20+ years healthcare related underwriting experience
Skills and Abilities
- Intermediate Word, SQL/Query and Excel skills
- Highly advanced ability to comprehend and interpret insurance and contract documents.
- Expert ability in implementing change within an organization, ensuring understanding, participation, and ownership.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills including presentation skills, demonstrating the ability to convey information in a way that is meaningful and well received by stakeholders and team members.
- Highly advanced ability to adapt new methods; work under tight deadlines and stressful conditions.
- Expert skills in managing multiple projects and/or sub-teams simultaneously
- Expert ability to work well within and manage a team
- Expert ability to foster a teamwork and customer service focused environment
- Expert ability to liaise with individuals across a wide variety of operational, functional and technical disciplines
- Expert persuasion and negotiation skills when working with internal/external customers to resolve issues/problems
- Exceptional people management skills, demonstrating the ability to lead, mentor, and develop associates; including the ability to delegate key areas of responsibility
- Exceptional ability to make timely and effective decisions and produce results through strategic planning and the implementation and evaluation of programs and policies
- Exceptional ability to implement organizational, divisional, and/or departmental vision and goals that result in achievement and success through exceptional leadership skills, collaboration, creative thinking, maintaining focus and persistence, even under adversity, while maintaining the confidence of management and associates
- Ability to work online, either at home or remote
- Ability to travel as required