Additionally, s/he/they will provide support and leadership in advancing the company’s public policy agenda by helping to design, implement, and coordinate the company’s strategic direction as it relates to outreach, messaging and engagement with elected officials, government officials and their staff, third-party allies, and industry partners on specific, high priority initiatives.
- Assist in the development and implementation of effective advocacy strategies for key business priorities requiring advocacy in the U.S. (U.S. business, enterprise, and international business priorities). Ensure the Company is among the leading voices in public policy debates affecting its interests and businesses.
- Coordinate advocacy efforts effectively with Government Relations peers in a high-performing, collaborative team environment. Manage outside consulting and trade association resources to achieve MetLife’s legislative and regulatory goals.
- Deliver timely communications to internal stakeholders regarding regulatory/legislative/policy developments that could impact the business to ensure an opportunity to influence outcomes. Executive-level writing skills are essential.
- Establish trusted relationships with key business partners across the company to inform U.S. advocacy priorities. Key internal stakeholders beyond the Government Relations team include leaders in the following areas: U.S. Business, Tax Department, Law Department, Investor Relations Department, Corporate Affairs Department, and the CEO and executive leadership team.
- Build a strong network of support among key external stakeholders (Congress, U.S. Administrative and regulatory agencies, trade associations, and third party influencers) to enhance advocacy efforts.
With a minimum of eight to ten years of relevant government affairs experience, candidates will have expert familiarity with Capitol Hill and the legislative process. A strong understanding of regulatory process is also needed. Candidates’ experience would ideally include exposure to policy and legislative activities specific to the insurance, healthcare and/or financial services sector.
- Experience as a senior government relations specialist with a global company is preferred. Congressional, agency and/or White House experience is also highly valued.
- A team player with a proactive approach to people and issues management. Must partner with others across the organization with candor and transparency.
- An understanding of substantive domestic and international policy issues in the insurance/financial services/healthcare sectors. Deep functional experience in government and public affairs, with proven relationship and coalition building skills.
- Deep functional experience in government and public affairs, with proven relationship and coalition building skills.
- A thorough understanding of the legislative and executive policymaking process, including an understanding of the roles and decision points in the legislative and executive bodies, as well as the role of think tanks, associations and related organizations; A sophisticated understanding of the interrelationship between the legislative and regulatory processes across all levels of government.
- Significant political relations expertise, including exceptional contacts with current Senate majority leadership and Committee Chairs. Strong bipartisan House and Senate contacts also needed across specific committees of jurisdiction related to insurance, healthcare and financial services issues.
- An ability to effectively interact with business clients, including executive leadership and senior management; able to effectively influence and manage key relationships with a keen focus on collaboration and open communication.
- Ability to deliver timely, executive-caliber written and verbal communication to the Office of the CEO, Executive Group and other senior business partners across the enterprise.
- An inherent sense of ownership in managing objectives, staff, and stakeholders (internal and external).
- An ability to anticipate emerging government, public or community/social issues of importance to the industry and to position the company effectively to handle such issues in all aspects.
- A proven track record of strategic planning and developing a defined vision for carrying out an organization’s goals.
- Strong analytical ability and oral and written communications skills.
- An understanding of compliance laws regulating political activity.
- Strong organizational skills; Able to manage multiple long- and short-term projects with overlapping deadlines.
- Highly self-motivated work ethic; demonstrating sound judgment, trustworthiness, initiative, and an ability to manage multiple priorities with a sense of urgency.