This position is an excellent opportunity to oversee the North American General Ledger Close team, Reinsurance GAAP team and Financial Controls Unit (FCU) at Chubb.
- The General Ledger team is responsible for managing the General Ledger Close process, balance sheet management and internal reporting packages for our North American business.
- The Reinsurance GAAP Team is responsible for running process to evaluate the Reinsurer Bad Debt Provision as well as public filing disclosures and press release preparation related to Reinsurance.
- The FCU is responsible for managing the quality control review function for key internal controls. The group ensures development of internal controls, testing and sampling strategies and deployment of testing, while driving compliance with SARBOX requirements.
Successful candidates will receive competitive compensation, the challenge of working across many departments, a vast variety of experiences and the opportunity to work in this world recognized leader in the insurance industry. We offer an opportunity to learn about both the organization and the industry while applying accounting, finance, reinsurance and internal audit / control concepts and theories.
RELATIONSHIP & SCOPE
The VP of General Ledger Close and Internal Controls will generally report to the SVP of Finance & Accounting and will be responsible for establishing the strategic direction, people strategy and managing the day to day operations of the department. This candidate will interact with a diverse group of matrix partners, including Internal Audit, Corporate Accounting, North American Finance and Accounting leadership and otherfinancial professionals, technology experts and functional staff. Execution of key deliverables, process improvement execution and talent development are key priorities for the teams.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Establish and drive the strategic direction and people strategy for the department; manage the day to day operations of the department.
- Oversee identification and execution of process improvement, technological solution and value added analysis opportunities.
- Oversee G/L Close Process, ensuring optimization of resources and identification, resolution and communication of issues. Review highly visible deliverables (e.g. public filing disclosures, balance sheet fluctuation analysis, press release preparation, etc).
- Oversee process to evaluate Reinsurer bad debt provision as well as public filing disclosures and press release preparation related to Reinsurance.
- Develop strategic direction for quality control review function, including internal controls, testing and sampling. Ensure Chubb remains compliant with SARBOX requirements for applicable controls. Work with internal audit, external auditors and other key constituents to escalate and resolve issues, while promoting best practices in the organization.
- Oversee FUC, ensuring optimization of resources and identification, resolution and communication of issues. Review highly visible deliverables (e.g. dashboards, exposure memorandum, etc).
- Cultivate a cohesive, high performing culture where strong talent management is employed across all levels.
- Manage relationships with key stakeholders; develop network and leverage to promote effective communication and problem resolution channels.
- Manage external and internal resources to document and understand a diverse array of finance processes.
- Evaluate existing processes and develop implementation plans to improve efficiency and effectiveness while adding value to the organization through enhanced analytics.
- Apply resource management and technology solutions to enhance existing processes.
- Oversee management of ad hoc initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, major in Accounting or Finance.
- 12+ years in progressively responsible leadership roles with familiarity in operational, financial, quality assurance, and human resource procedures.
- Comprehensive experience in accounting, finance and / or internal controls environments.
- Public Accounting experience and CPA designation preferred
- Strong problem solving and creative skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
- Insurance experiencepreferred; preferably experience working with a commercial P&C, Life, or A&H carrier. Financial services and service industries desirable.
- Mastery of end user applications (e.g., Microsoft products such as Excel, Powerpoint, Word, and Access)
Required Personal Skills:
- Strong communication, interpersonal and influencing skills
- Strong leadership and management skills; demonstrable experience driving high performing cultures and cultivating talent.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize time effectively
- Strong organizational skills with proven ability to work independently
- Ability to work effectively in a matrixed environment with all levels throughout a large organization
- Enthusiastic self-starter
- Demonstrates integrity and dedication