- Strategically and financially it is a very important time for CRH as it continues to rapidly growth the Group. We are therefore seeking a high caliber finance leader with strong commercial capabilities to fulfil this role. The Vice President of Finance provides leadership of the finance function in accordance with CRH reporting standards.
- Responsibilities include financial leadership, coaching to the company Controllers, effective communication and implementation of policies and practices, detailed oversight of the managerial reporting process and problem resolution. S/he, in support of the Division CFO, will build genuine credibility with the AMAT CFO and business leaders. This will include supporting the business in the overall development of strategy, performance delivery and optimizing trade-offs for capital allocation.
- S/he will also be responsible for providing a high level of assurance to the divisional CFO, divisional President and AMAT CFO, relating to divisional performance and profitability. S/he will drive an effective management of costs and the establishment of a finance, BI, procurement, risk and IT strategy across the Division. This will ensure that the team is prepared to provide optimal support to meet the needs of the ever-changing Division and Group.
- Candidates will likely come from complex, multi-national listed companies of commensurate scale when compared to CRH plc. Exposure to a multi-site, highly distributed industrial manufacturing environment and/or the building products sector would be advantageous. Candidates must bring a strong financial bias combined with a track record of handling a broader remit. First and foremost, we are seeking a commercial business partner to both the divisional CFO and the President, AMAT North Division, who can support on strategy, drive the performance of the business and bring a strong mind-set around cash and cost. Candidates must also be strong financialtechnicians, able to deliver assurance to the division’s President and AMAT CFO around the accuracy and reliability of divisional performance and profitability.
- Public company experience is required, with candidates having ideally spent a period of time at the corporate headquarters of a listed company, thus bringing a strong understanding of the governance and requirements that listed companies are bound by. Strong capability in financial planning and analysis as well as a strong working knowledge of SOX compliance is preferred. Above all else, the VP Finance AMAT North Division should be a well-rounded leader who can make a company-wide impact, able to spot the opportunities and the issues, make recommendations and drive change in collaboration with other leadership team members.
- Candidates will have managed P&Ls within complex businesses and will have worked within a high-performing finance function of scale and be able to bring the necessary leadership skills to further develop CRH’s AMAT North Division. S/he shall lead by example and take on a hands-on approach wherever required. S/he will bring a positive and upbeat approach that builds morale, as well as an ability to attract, retain and develop top talent.
- Cultural fit will be essential. Candidates must be able to demonstrate an adaptability and flexibility of style and an ability to work in a high energy, low ego environment. S/he must be able to succeed in a collaborative, dynamic, fast-moving company where there is a need to take a hands-on and detailed approach to move the business forward, while simultaneously having the smarts to take a higher-level strategy view of the business, spotting potential areas of opportunity for sustainable growth/value creation. This needs to be balanced with a calm and collected demeanour and the appropriate gravitas and communication skills. The divisional VP Finance needs to be a team player with a positive and up-beat approach that fosters enthusiasm and commitment from peers and team members.
The divisional VP Finance AMAT North Division will report to the divisional CFO CRH AMAT North Division.
Commercial Finance Business Partnering/ Performance Management
- Work in support of the divisional CFO CRH AMAT North Division to help define and develop the division’s strategy while supporting the effective management of the P&L.
- Act as strategic business partner to CRH AMAT North Division’s business leaders on key finance decisions, providing insight, independent perspective, support and oversight on all aspects of business.
- Work closely with the business unit leaders/CFOs to drive performance.
- Understand the company’s business model for generating value and translate the operational metrics into key performance indicators.
- Deliver successful business performance driving top and bottom line improvements.
Business Strategy and Planning
- Contribute to the strategic direction of the overall business through the creation and delivery of an effective business plan. Play a key role as a member of the CRH AMAT North Division Management Team, challenging peers constructively.
- Review the business case for any major investment decisions and strategic initiatives in light of AMAT and Group strategy and estimated return on investment. Assess and fully understand the financial requirements of these plans and communicate them clearly to senior management.
- Understand the market, competitor landscape, trends and macro-economic backdrop.
Financial Planning and Analysis
- Support the development and delivery of a 3 – 5 yearfinancial plan so that it supports the initiatives of the CRH AMAT North Division and serves as a playbook for the growth of the business.
- Manage the budgeting process. Deliver accurate forecasting, spotting trends and issues early.
- Produce excellent management information with clear and transparent KPIs. Use management information and financial analysis to make commercial recommendations and deliver better visibility and insight.
Financial Accounting Reporting, Controls and Governance
- Oversee and have final responsibility for all aspects of accounting operations including establishment and enforcement of accounting policies and procedures in accordance with SOX, GAAP and IFRS requirements, ensuring the integrity of the company’s financial data and financialreporting.
- Ensure a cash and working capital focus across the business, educating employees on the importance of cash focus, driving down inventory and debtor days whilst also maintaining strong creditor and debtor relationships.
- Continuously upgrade and improve financialreporting and control processes.
- Optimize the cost base of the business and effectively control any capital expenditure.
- Coordinate corporate taxation compliance and planning, minimizing exposures and identify potential opportunities.
- Oversee responsibility of all legal and compliance issues.
Relationships with Internal & External Stakeholders
- Develop and cultivate strong relationships with all stakeholders including business unit leaders, operational leaders and auditors, as appropriate.
- Play a critical role in supporting the Strategy and Development Director in driving an M&A strategy for the division.
- Support in the completion of transactions including due diligence, negotiation of sale and purchase agreements and management of external advisors.
- Support in the planning and execution of post-merger integration including delivery of cost synergies, systems integration and headcount rationalization.
Development of the Finance Organization
- Help to build the finance organization required for CRH AMAT North Division, ensuring all individuals are capable of fulfilling their roles.
- Develop a finance function which is business enabling and not purely a reporting function. Drive consistency and best practice across the finance organization.
- Promote and enable key talent management activities including development and coaching of finance talent, succession pipeline management, recruitment etc.
- Play a key leadership role as a member of the CRH AMAT Finance Leadership Team, identifying common goals and working as a collective to share best practice across AMAT and the Group.
- Identify the risks associated with the division’s operations.
- Ensure that the CRH AMAT North Division team is fully appraised of current performance, trends, deviations, threats and opportunities.
The division VP Finance will need to become grounded in the CRH AMAT North Division quickly. He/she will need to develop their internal reputation as a decisive, passionate, inspirational, hands on leader who is a true business partner to the division’s CFO and President, trusted by the AMAT CFO and who can demonstrate strategic and commercial capabilities.
Skills and Leadership Characteristics
Candidates should bring the following skills and experience:
- Sector Experience: Candidates will come from complex, multi-national listed companies of commensurate scale when compared to CRH plc. Exposure to a multi-site, highly distributed industrial manufacturing environment and/or the building products sector would be advantageous but is by no means essential.
- M&A Experience: Desired but not required is a proven track record of M&A transactions. A deep understanding of the mechanics of the M&A process including valuation, due diligence as well as post-deal integrations.
- Public Company Experience: Public company experience is required. Ideally candidates will have spent a period of time at the group centre of a listed company and will thus bring a strong understanding of the governance and requirements that listed companies are bound by. A strong working knowledge of SOX compliance is preferred.
- Future Potential: Candidates will be bring the required gravitas, pedigree and credibility along with the necessary experience and leadership skills to further develop within the finance function at CRH.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated competencies in the following areas:
- Proven Results as a Financial Leader: The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate broad based functional competence with a proven track record of results in public companies. CRH is looking for a highly intelligent self-starter, an individual with a strong set of organizational values, and someone who readily assumes responsibility for driving strong financial and operational performance. The individual will have implemented financial or cost-containment programs and improved financial system/control environments. The ideal candidate has been an outstanding performer in a dynamic environment where s/he had a strategic and analytical operations- focused approach to finance.
- Strategic Orientation: The successful candidate will be creative and capable of thinking broadly about business- not just financial issues. The candidate will demonstrate the ability to work with the leadership team to help CRH’s business and financial strategy. S/he can demonstrate the ability to partner with and provide thought-leadership to senior management and business unit manager, providing them with insightful, value–added advice, drawing on the information and analysis of the team. This involves active management in real-time, not just reporting the performance after the fact, questioning broad strategic plans and results, partnering on developing improvements and enhancements and challenging assumptions.
- Collaboration and Influencing: Key to success in supporting CRH’s drive for results will be the ability to work effectively with different constituencies. S/he will need to communicate to external parties clear, accurate and timely information relevant to CRH’s strategic decisions. Internally, the successful candidate will need to demonstrate that s/he can influence a firm’s decision-making process as a result of his/her functional expertise, but also from demonstrating leadership and initiative. This will require the selected candidate to work collaboratively with the ideas of others, while influencing decisions.
- Team Leadership: The ideal candidate will build deep organizational strength to impact the future growth and profitability of the business. He or she should be focused on coaching and mentoring his or her senior leadership team and consistently bring in best-in-class performers to ensure continued growth and success of the business. The candidate will possess the ability to effectively motivate others to achieve goals and objectives.
- Education: Bachelor's/University Degree
- Additional Education Preferred: Master's/Graduate Degree
- Preferred field of study: Accounting/Finance
- Work Experience: 7 or more years of related business experience and managerial experiencerequired.
Job ID: 145900