- Support of Segment President in growing value of Segment: Through an in-depth financial knowledge of the segment, the VP of Finance is constantly looking for ways for the segment to improve its financial performance. This will include, for example, analysis of financial performance of products and clients, guiding profitability analysis in conjunction with other departments, for example actuarial, especially focused on new product opportunities.
- Communication to senior management: The VP of Finance will be the primary financial contact to all business leaders in the segment as well as the financial spokesperson for the segment as concerns senior AIZ management. The VP of Finance leads preparation and communication on segment forecasts, presenting to key stakeholders (e.g. internal management committee, senior executives).
- Analysis of the Financial Performance of the Segment: A core responsibility and requirement to perform all responsibilities is a deep knowledge of the financial performance of the segment. The VP of Finance is responsible for analyzing and communicating the key aspects of the performance of the segment (and its parts), including key financial levers of the business, identifying emerging issues, threats and opportunities.
- M&A: Provides financial leadership to support M&A and divestiture transactions (e.g. financial modeling, finance diligence, strategic fit); Ensure financial synergies & targets are met post integration.
- Expense & Profit Margin Management: The VP of Finance will be responsible for analyzing the expenses and identifying and proposing actions to optimize the expense base of the Segment and its LOBs.
- Planning: The VP of Finance leads the Planning process for the Segment.
- Delivering Plan: The VP of Finance is responsible for delivering the annual Plan as approved by the AIZ CEO. In this role he/she should be constantly looking for adjustments during the year that would help mitigate any off-sets or provide clarity on the use of amounts leading to an excess over Plan. The role will be responsible for supporting the President in any “course correction” actions needed during a given year.
- Return on Investment: achieving a satisfactory and optimal return on its investments in the Segment is critical to growing the value of the segment and for AIZ. As such the role will be involved in all material investment or expense decisions and the tracking of their performance once made. Investments included all types of investments including but not limited to commercial development (products, clients), headcount, operations, IT, M&A etc. As such, a key component of the role will be in advising the President of the segment and AIZ Finance Officer of those investments that are not meeting its requirements and providing recommendations including slowing or stopping investments.
- Risk Assessment: The VP of Finance will work closely with the Risk area in order to have a clear understanding of the risks of the business and ensure that these risks are identified, quantified and known by senior management. Understands financial implications and risks related to key business issues.
- Responsibilities for the work of others: Direct management of teams within scope of responsibility and need to develop a trusted relationship with segment business leaders
- Financial Responsibility: Budget for Business Segment finance team
- 15 years progressive business and finance experience
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Master’s Degree and/or CPA or other advanced financial certification e.g. FSA
- Experience in insurance products, preferably in Property and Casualty
- Superior communication skills, both oral & written. Ability to make & execute against decisions
- Strong analytical ability
- Ability to lead cross functional enterprise projects in support of finance initiatives with a strong collaborative style
- Able to think with a forward looking trajectory understanding cause and effect
- Travel up to 25%