The Vice President of Engineering is accountable for the performance of all Engineering related activities by providing strategic leadership, and establishing and directing all aspects of B&W’s engineering policies, objectives and initiatives based on long-term product and profitability goals.
The Engineering Leader’s primary responsibility is to lead the engineering in a matrix organization to efficiently develop appropriate project solutions, advance critical technology enablers, and execute projects that serve the customer base. This leader will inspire the engineering organization to operational excellence by balancing a strategic vision with an understanding and appreciation of the technical details of project execution.
This position is also responsible for supplying and maintaining adequate resources for all engineering functions in the pursuit of B&W Power’s strategic goals and operational plans.
The position requires strong interpersonal skills and flexibility to manage multiple customer requirements and geographically disperse staff seamlessly. This leader is responsible to balance the level of engineering resources with an uncertain near and long term work load forecast through constant interaction with Business Segment Leaders. The successful candidate is an experienced technical and business professional who is open minded and able to focus simultaneously on near and long term objectives.
- Provide strategic leadership to the engineering organization by monitoring and guiding all Engineering Initiatives throughout B&W’s Power Segment ensuring a chain of accountability runs from the division leads to the department managers and to the individual Engineers.
- Lead the execution of product and project design to meet company financial objectives and develop and exercise controls to ensure compliance with company standard and quality requirements
- Manage complex competing goals, involving difficult choices, higher level of conflicts
- Develop clarity of roles & responsibilities within the engineering organization and maintain accountability tied to the roles
- Work across functions, negotiate commitments for the organization and hold Engineering responsible for meeting commitments
- Adopt a collaborative leadership approach and cultivate partnership relationships both externally and throughout B&W’s functions and business segments at all levels
- Manage and insure projects are properly defined in scope and guide respective manager to ensure projects are properly resourced. Drive technical and execution excellence in the performance of engineering tasks, beginning with adherence to the schedule and the budget allocated to these tasks to foster efficient execution. .
- Champion data driven design over graphics driven design by leading the transition from the current 2D environment to the determined 3D design world. 3D design must be inclusive of all of Engineering
- Develop and support a culture of measured continuous improvement and best practices.
- Cultivate a climate within the engineering organization that fosters a high level of employee motivation, performance, collaboration and commitment.
- Develop relationships within the larger B&W organization to define, develop and leverage B&W core competencies necessary to meet critical business needs.
- Conduct ongoing skills assessment and proactively address potential skills gaps. Lead and mentor the engineering management team to continue to develop strong technical leaders.
- Act as the objective decision maker for high level / high impact engineering issues within the segment.
- Advise each VP of Business on all technical matters including problem resolution to complex issues.
- Provide for the complete technical reviews of key strategic proposals.
- Provide supporting analysis as required to segment leadership for potential merger and acquisition candidates.
- Represent B&W with major customers and stakeholders.
- Provide summaries to complex technical problems to non-technical audiences that include customer and government senior leadership.
- Attend trade shows, conferences, and exhibitions that are aligned with segment growth strategy.
- All other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering field; plus a minimum of 15years applicable work experience within an engineering organization; with proven experience leading an engineering organization
- Must have previous experience leading in a matrix organization, and the ability to coordinate and administer programs and activities within the engineering organization. Must manage resources, monitor activities and assess execution risk, advocate for safety, and ensure quality control associated with all organization activities.
- Extraordinary dynamic leadership capability including demonstrated ability to be a change agent and influence the direction of the organization while maintaining a culture where employees are recognized as important assets to the organization
- Ability to link technology vision and strategy with overall business objectives and communicate rationale in a compelling, concise manner
- Capacity to maintain a big picture, strategic outlook while having the ability to iterate from company strategy to product development and planning
- Master’s degree a plus
- Professional Engineer Registration is a plus