We are looking for an experienced technical leader with deep domain knowledge in professional developer tooling, distributed systems, and building platform-as-a-service offerings. The ideal candidate is someone who thrive's when leading a team that collaborates as a community and is distributed across the globe. We need someone who is comfortable with scaling engineering and organizations. Establish architectural principles, identify cutting-edge technologies and patterns to leverage, and continue to increase the talent density on this already strong team. Keep high performers engaged and motivated to continue doing their best work.
Partner with customers, partners, and internal stakeholders to develop and drive strategy:
- Learn and understand the near and long term needs of our customers, partners, internal stakeholders
- Develop and champion the near term targets against long term strategy for how developers build applications.
- Partner with peer organizations to develop long term strategic technology plans
Build a world class engineering team:
- Foster and facilitate the professional growth and development of our engineering staff as well as lead effective cross-functional collaboration across groups within the organization
- Build organizational capability within these teams by recruiting and retaining outstanding talent and providing mentoring, training (internal and external), and other opportunities for professional growth and development
- Partner with peer functions and organizations to deliver the training and enablement the team requires
- Lead, motivate, and challenge a diverse distributed team
Ensure that your products and systems are trusted:
- Meet/exceed the security, reliability, performance and scalability requirements required to continue to be the most trusted service in the industry.
- Deliver best in class products that developers and customer love to use because they can be trusted and easily integrated into their process and tooling.
Communicate, Collaborate, and Deliver:
- Deep understanding of segmenting monolith in to smaller microservices and able to lead the team through strategic architectural decision making and technical challenges in implementation.
- Communicate design and decisions and influence technology and product direction of peers and executive leadership
- Make and meet commitments. Communicate change in plans whether they be design or timeline modifications honestly and transparently
Implement best engineering management and organizational development practices:
- Lead through organizational scale and priority changes
- Streamline and deliver greater efficiency in the engineering organization, both in software development and operational activities
- Drive continuous systems improvement for managing, documenting, staffing, and reviewing engineering projects and services
- Reflect best practices back into our products and recommendations for customer implementations
- Inspirational and results-oriented leader capable of articulating the vision, and earning trust/ respect
- High EQ (low ego); Collaborator with a transparent approach; A thought leader who will bring an entrepreneurial, problem-solver mentality to drive cross functional teams to get things done
- Hands-on without over-reliance on delegation; Ability to understand the tactical details & the complexity of SquareTrade business
- Track record of building and sustaining high performing teams, as well as transforming underperforming teams
- A people leader who has a reputation for being a strong mentor and developer of talent
- Understands how technology creates business value – effective at partnering with other execs
- Successful project management experience – keep projects on track, on budget, and makes decisive corrections when needed
- High integrity. Great judgement. Persistent. Winning Attitude.
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science or Engineering
- 10+ years experience as a hands-on software development manager
- 5+ years engineering leadership of distributed systems, platforms, and services
- Experience managing teams of 100+ people
YOU ARE OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE IF YOU ARE/HAVE:
- Demonstrated experience driving technology roadmaps, microservices architecture, Devops & CI/CD, Test Automation
- Hands-on full-breadth (architecture, development, program management, QA, performance, and operations) expertise
- Strong orientation to user needs and experience
- Demonstrated expertise at navigating complex organizational issues and driving results collaboratively and/or through directive management
- Experience working in high growth companies and the ability to identify and build new capabilities as the scaling needs arise
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills of teams across multiple geo-locations.
- Exceptional communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to work under tight deadlines while being flexible and responding to changing business and technical conditions
**THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO CANDIDATES IN SAN FRANCISCO OR DENVER**
SOME OF THE BENEFITS OF WORKING @ SQUARETRADE INCLUDE:
- Not feeling stuck! This team has exposure to many different parts of the business, making transitioning easy...we work on developing careers based on what people enjoy!
- Competitive salaries, benefits (medical, dental, vision), flex PTO, 401k matching
- Respect for your work-life balance
- A paid volunteer day to give back to the community
Who We Are:
SquareTrade is the fastest growing company of its kind. We’re revolutionizing a $30b industry with service innovation and attention to customer satisfaction. We partner with some of the largest, most sophisticated retailers and carriers in the world (Walmart, Target, Amazon, Costco, and T-Mobile to name a few), consistently win industry awards, have received tens of thousands of 5-star reviews… and we’re just getting started. A member of the Allstate family, SquareTrade has headquarters in San Francisco and London.