The Director Software Engineering will have the responsibility of people leadership, with all the responsibilities that people management and leadership entail and will interact and influence leaders across the organization drawing connections to all strategic priorities. The main responsibilities will include developing and coaching employees, removing impediments to performance, developing ways to enable collaboration, being a leader of the software engineering craft, sharing best practices and executing insourcing strategies. The Director will handle performance review, compensation and other core human resources processes for their team. Will need to work collaboratively across the Technology team and other internal groups The incumbent will typically supervise a number of individual’s contributors and at times may have managers of others reporting to it.
Responsible and accountable for the identification of risk by openly exchanging ideas and opinions, elevating concerns. They personally follow policies and procedures as defined and are accountable for always doing the right thing for customers and colleagues. The incumbent ensures that their actions and behaviors drive a positive customer experience. While operating within the Bank's risk appetite, the role achieves results by consistently identifying, assessing, managing, monitoring, and reporting risks of all types
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and coach their current employees to meet the needs of the organization while balancing personal development of the employee.
- Will actively participate in the hiring of experienced and college graduate level employees.
- Solicit feedback from key team members to understand performance of his/her team members and provide that feedback to the employee in a timely manner.
- Work with other leaders within the organization to identify and problem solve issues that are preventing employees from performing effectively.
- Identify organizational needs/gaps and propose solutions to resolve.
- Be a leader of their particular craft to provide insight on best practices and provide insight on future direction of the craft for the organization.
- Apply and deploy multiple approaches to remove organizational impediments (e.g. cultural barriers, logistic challenges, mindset shifts, etc.)
- Facilitates communication, cooperation, and collaboration across the organization, including continuous feedback loops.
- Works to improve the effectiveness of all roles of the organization, fostering self-organization, learning and growth
- Challenge current processes, identifying current opportunities for process improvement, efficiency/effectiveness and consistency to drive continuous improvement in results.
- Builds a trusting and safe environment where issues are resolved in a safe environment
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Duties include, but are not limited to performance management, focused investment in people growth and direction, feedback coaching and disciplinary activities (if needed), succession planning, recognition of employees, etc.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Typically, will have at least 6-10 years of combined people leadership and hands-on experience in their particular craft.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in Computer Science/Information Systems or equivalent combination of education and experiences.
- Must have 5+ years leading software engineering in the public cloud (AWS, Azure, GCP).
- A passion for guiding, teaching, mentoring, and leading people.
- Position requires the ability to establish self as a leader, to not only perform in a leadership role, but to also be recognized by other divisions and business partners as a leader.
- Strong presence and credibility with excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills which are effective and impactful to a range of audiences. Demonstrated ability to communicate complex information in a simplified way and meet fast-paced deadlines.
- Experience communicating and removing impediments at both the team level and organizational level, fostering collaboration across organizational boundaries.
- Deep understanding of all software lifecycle development disciplines - Project Management, Requirements Management, Analysis & Design, Quality Assurance & Testing, Implementation, Deployment, Configuration & Change Management
- Critical thinking and creative problem solving skills
- Understanding of agile principles and ability to reinforce the establish of teams with the right people.
- Ability to lead self-organizing teams and drive change through influence.
- Ability to build a sense of trust and rapport that creates a sustainable & effective workplace