The VP will contribute to fostering and growing a diverse and inclusive work environment and developing a slate of content reflective of those priorities. The VP of Development will work directly under the EVP of Entertainment and develop concepts from the origin of idea & creation of pitch materials, through the pitch process and any development steps upon sale. Candidate must be able to think outside of the box while remaining conscious of the creative mandates of networks and studios.
- Has strong relationships with content buyers and receives regular updates on what they are looking to buy/acquire.
- Generate interest in our developed slate of content.
- Consciously and actively engage in promoting diverse storytellers, employees and talent.
- Work with development team to generate original formats and innovative show concepts for US and Global audiences, as well as potential Brand Partners.
- Assist in formulating and maintaining a strategic development slate for US show concepts, Global formats and Brand Partners.
- Contribute to the vision of TSL’s growth in the US and international markets, specifically European and Asian territories.
- Maintain and foster relationships with network executives and contacts within the entertainment industry.
- Provide the most current information to the team on the ever-evolving market demands and trends on an ongoing basis.
- Proven track record with original concept sales on linear and streaming platforms.
- Manage multiple projects throughout the development process, network development steps and pilot production.
- Generate relevant sales materials including rip reels, sizzle tapes, interview tapes, pilot presentations, etc.
- Seek out new on-screen talent for new concepts, package relevant talent to feature in existing formats, and develop original vehicles around established on-screen talent
- Thoroughly monitor and understand creative trends, social media and new technologies to find ways to identify and create new revenue opportunities
- Sources nonscripted and scripted concepts from external Producers, Talent and Writers for potential brand partnerships based on Dentsu client RFPs.
- Works with internal colleagues and departments – Dentsu Brand Strategy Teams, TSL Leads in Global Territories, Brand Partnership Team and TSL US Head of Production to share relevant information on development, sales and partnership opportunities.
- Make recommendations to EVP of Entertainment on content investment opportunities for internal and external concepts. Work with Finance Team to generate business cases and sales strategies to support concepts.
- Collaborates with EVP of Entertainment and Business Affairs to formulate shopping agreements, co-production deals and talent agreements with partners.
- Manages and develops staff.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- At least 7 years’ experience in the television industry.
- In-depth knowledge of television and streaming programming and previous experience of a similar, level in a development role.
- Strong, credible relationships with networks and other peers within the entertainment community including network executives, agents, talent, writers and production companies.
- Stellar writing skills and producing instincts.
- Familiarity with customary business practices in unscripted television.
- Experience in finding talent and relevant, impactful stories and developing innovative TV concepts in a diverse range of genres.