The VP, Corporate Communications works closely with senior executives and across functional areas to accomplish its role. The VP and communication team support not only the Lowe's brand but the corporate enterprise, working with international and allied businesses units, as needed.
- Leads the development of an overall strategy for corporate communications including corporate, brand/product public relations, internal employee communication, corporate events & activation, corporate digital content and executive communication.
- Responds to complex and dynamic issues by creating solutions in a highly organized approach and ensuring the validity and effectiveness of communication surrounding each issue to minimize negative exposure.
- Liaises closely with the Lowe’s executive leadership team and Investor Relations to promote industry-leading communication strategies, message development, and project coordination, focusing on providing accurate information to the market in an effective manner.
- Prepares and coaches executives to speak to the media or other key audiences to ensure message consistency and reinforce our business strategy with confidence and clarity.
- Plans communication with an understanding of Lowe's business strategy and the key information needs of Lowe’s diverse employee population, creating an overall calendar of communication events and developing ad hoc messages, as necessary, throughout the year.
- Promoting and Protecting the Brand - Oversees the preparation for future initiatives or issues and directs the function in preparation for communication programs that are aligned with Lowe’s overall strategy and purpose. Drives strategy and intent of messages to deliver creative and innovative messages that result in positive earned media for the company and amplifies those opportunities via social and paid digital media, including bloggers. Ensures Lowe’s reputation is the key and leading emphasis surrounding any communication activity and develops a team to leverage proactive opportunities for increasing the positive exposure of Lowe’s actions and anticipate and deliver messages in response to crisis situations, leveraging external agency partners, as needed. Establishes a broad and thorough understanding of Lowe’s financial activities and ensures consistency of corporate messaging, both internally and externally, on financial, corporate governance and policy issues. Oversees the development and execution of activation plans with key community partners to promote Lowe’s brand in the community. Establishes communication approach for sensitive business initiatives with business leaders across functions, ensuring a collaborative approach to the creation of messages and the media for distribution.
- Employee Communication - Establishes an internal communication strategy and works with executive leadership to determine message content pertaining to Lowe’s purpose and values, human resources initiatives, change communications and communications that enhances employee engagement with the company. Works across functions to establish messaging for all employees, throughout all channels, regarding the direction the organization is moving, employee impact on the success of the strategy, and the benefits and value of working at Lowe’s. Manages service providers and oversees content delivery to Lowe’s intranet and employee portals. Leads the department to develop and implement consistent internal communication programs.
- Leading Others - Develops an industry-leading communication team that understands the value of an engaged and relevant communication strategy and influences the development of programs. Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members and peers. Provides guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring subordinates’ progress. Identifies developmental needs of others on the team and coaches to improve their knowledge or skills. Creates a climate of engagement and productivity by empowering others and encouraging them to contribute ideas and make decisions. Inspires productivity by establishing a clear vision, maintaining two-way communication, and distributing the work load in an organized manner. Enables and promotes an inclusive and diverse team and working environment.
- Develops and leverages personal influence to build a highly skilled and engaged workforce by ensuring resource plans drive business strategy; developing strategies for performance management; closing talent gaps; providing feedback to Directors and Managers; empowering and inspiring others to perform at their best.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism, or related field
- Master’s Degree in Communications, Business Administration, or related field, preferred
- 15+ years of experience in corporate communications
- 7+ years of leadership experience managing corporate communications, marketing, or creative professionals
- 5+ years of crisis management experience
- 5+ years of experience within a Fortune 500 corporate environment
- 5+ years of experience prioritizing and managing multiple large projects simultaneously
- 5+ years of experience working with executive leadership
- Experience within a retail environment, preferred
- Experience developing communication that supports employee engagement, preferred
- Experience in a multi-channel, matrixed environment, preferred.
Job ID 1371487BR