Macmillan is a group of media companies in the United States held by Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck, based in Stuttgart, Germany, which publishes a wide range of books, magazines, and digital products for the consumer and education markets. Our American publishers include Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Henry Holt & Company, W.H. Freeman and Worth Publishers, Bedford/St. Martin’s, Picador, Roaring Brook Press, St. Martin’s Press, Tor Books, Hayden McNeil, Macmillan Children’s Group, Flatiron Books, Macmillan Audio and Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences --race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective — in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Holtzbrinck Publishing Holdings LP. Requirements
Reporting directly to the SVP Finance, this person will be responsible for the general accounting operations of the company including producing the monthly & year-end financial reports, maintaining an adequate system of accounting records, maintaining an adequate system of internal controls designed to mitigate risk, enhancing the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensuring that reported results comply with international accounting standards. Responsibilities also include supporting the migration from legacy financial systems to a new SAP platform
• End-to-end responsibility for all general accounting functions.
• Full ownership of month end close process including bank reconciliations, balance sheet reconciliations, fixed asset and associated depreciation schedules.
• Manage preparation of monthly financial statements, including balance sheet and income statement accounts; ensuring all schedules are up-to-date and maintained in an “audit ready” form, which includes being proactive in resolving any open items.
• Manage preparation of annual statutory report, including balance sheet, income statement, cash flow and footnotes.
• Ensure good internal control practices exist within the accounting groups.
• Interact with external auditors as the primary point person to ensure a smooth and efficient audit. Ensure all requested schedules are produced in a timely fashion and proactively resolve any open items.
• Ensure new accounting and closing procedures take full advantage of SAP’s functionality.
• Work with accounting departments in other regions to ensure accounting consistency and comparability.
• Work with parent company Controllers group to develop global accounting practices that conform to any new international accounting standards.
• Assist with due diligence on potential acquisition targets on an as needed basis.
• Assist with the purchase accounting and integration of newly acquired companies on an as needed basis.
• Various other ad hoc projects, including working on future implementation of additional SAP modules.
• Manage staff of 5 accountants.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Understanding of international accounting and finance concepts
• Project management
• Expert in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Basic understanding of the publishing industry; experience in Publishing a plus
• Experience in global environments / financial systems
• Good management/people skills
• 10+ years of relevant work experience in a Finance & Accounting roles
• CPA or CMA certification
• Media experience preferred
• Participation in one or more relevant ERP project implementations a plus
• Familiarity with SAP ERP system a plus
Educational Background Required:
• Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or other relevant degree preferred