The VP, Commercial and GTM Strategy, is responsible for developing, driving and executing the go-to-market (GTM) strategy and commercial success for Elsevier Nursing and Health Education.
In collaboration with colleagues from Strategy, Product, Content, Pricing, Finance, Marketing, Sales, and Operations teams, the VP of Commercial and GTM Strategy ensures the portfolio is optimally developed and deployed. The VP, Commercial and GTM Strategy, identifies market-driven opportunities based on customer needs, specifies business requirements for new product offerings, determines and prioritizes new business models to expand market reach and revenue capture, optimizes pricing and channel distribution, and drives overall GTM execution to reach market penetration, revenue and profit expectations.
Key Result Areas and Responsibilities:
Customer Segmentation and Product Needs
- Develop customer and white-space segmentation and prioritization while determining market opportunities.
- Identify portfolio gaps across the learning workflow and adjacent market-expansion opportunities with mission alignment; inform partnership and M&A targets.
- Develop, own and communicate customer insights to inform product roadmap for meeting customer needs. Based on segment insights, set high-level product strategy; collaborate with Product and Content teams to prioritize product pipeline and guide commercial release dates.
- Collaborate with Product team to construct investment cases as needed.
- Create segment-specific product positioning and value proposition based on customer insights.
- Establish differentiated positioning from substitutes and alternatives.
- Specify marketing strategy and jointly with Marketing define marketing plans
New Business Model Development and Implementation
- Identify new enterprise business models and solution opportunities that deliver higher levels of customer value at the Higher Education institutional level.
- Develop new models for expanding market reach and recapturing sales from secondary market.
- Create market-driven strategy for B2C models to address student needs for self-study.
- Optimize business model mix, forecasting and product development to respond to market trends and opportunities.
- Prioritize new business-model opportunities and inform market-driven business requirements for new commercial offerings.
- Collaborate across Strategy, Product, Content, Marketing, and Sales teams to guide new product or service development, build scalable implementation infrastructure, set pricing and GTM strategy, and lead overall execution for commercial success.
Distribution Channel and Pricing Strategies
- Define channel strategy and mix of indirect resellers versus direct sales.
- Collaborate with sales leadership to establish account management, customer engagement and customer success strategies.
- Inform pricing strategies working closely with Strategy and Pricing teams.
Indirect Distribution Channels: Reseller Strategy and Account Management
- Build strong c-level engagement and strengthen channel partnerships at indirect distributors including Amazon, Barnes & Noble Education, Chegg, and Follet Higher Education.
- Innovate with channel partners to drive win/win revenue-growth opportunities. Work closely with sales leadership team to implement sell-through strategies that increase revenue capture.
- Lead account management team assigned to all resellers, retail and wholesale. Schedule and lead quarterly business reviews with key channel partners.
- Establish consistent and aligned terms of sale for all indirect distributor types (retail, wholesale, returnable, non-returnable, etc.).
- Control negotiations and drive terms of sale that maximize revenue while reducing returns. Ensure contracts are in place and updated as needed.
Direct Distribution Channels: Institutional and eCommerce Strategy
- Develop direct channel strategy to significantly grow direct purchasing with institutions and students.
- Define eCommerce strategy and inform business requirements for Product and Engineering teams.
- Guide marketing and sales strategies to drive growth agenda.
- Work closely with Product, Marketing and Sales teams to define plans for ensuring go-to-market execution.
- Drive use of customer insights in Product, Marketing and Sales decisions and strategies.
- Jointly work with sales leadership to develop account strategy, team assignments and coordination to drive growth and execute plans with eBooks, eSolutions, HESI and new commercial offerings.
- Collaborate with Marketing team to create an integrated demand creation plan including SEO for driving direct eCommerce sales.
- Provide active sales support and participate in sales pitches as agreed with Sales; actively participate in strategy and execution for large enterprise deals.
- Present at relevant conferences and other public events.
- Participate in the planning of sales training as appropriate.
- Communicate customer priorities to customer support and engagement teams.
Financial Forecasting and Management
- Work closely with indirect distributors to influence, monitor and track OTD and transactional ordering, inventory, and returns.
- Work with Finance to strengthen forecasting based on OTD and transactional sales, inventory levels and timing of return. Provide regular sales reporting and forecasts as required.
- Establish robust transparency and relevance to eCommerce KPI metrics, tracking and forecasting.
What you should bring:
For this role, we are looking for an accomplished and visionary commercial leader who can significantly accelerate our success, motivate teams and inspire action. Important characteristics include:
- 10+ years of experience in higher education, healthcare markets a plus.
- Bachelor's degree; MBA strongly preferred.
- Proven track record of commercial success and senior-level experience in Sales, Product, Strategic Marketing, and P&L management roles.
- In-depth experience in U.S. Higher Education industry with extensive background in leveraging technology to expand business models and revenue.
- Deep understanding of retail, wholesale and distributor environment and customers at all levels.
- An entrepreneurial and creative approach to developing new, innovative ideas that will stretch the organization and push the boundaries within the industry.
- Demonstrated ability to build C-level customer relationships and win complex institutional contracts.
- Strong strategic thinker and leader with a track record of execution; ability to solve complex problems.
- Motivated self-starter who is relentlessly driven to produce results.
- Resourceful and agile leader with experience leading business transformations.
- Exceptional communicator with demonstrated ability to collaborate successfully in a matrixed organization.
- Problem solver who pro-actively and continuously identifies areas for improvement and implements solutions.