This position manages all phases of planning and administering large and complex outsourced accounting engagements. Extensive knowledge of several upstream oil and gas accounting department specialties including General Ledger (e.g., period closes, audit support, GAAP entries for ARO, Depletion, Hedge mark to market, impairments, etc.), A/P & JIB (e.g., COPAS standards, coding, allocations, controls, etc.), and Revenue (e.g., severance taxes, production allocation, royalty burdens, native lands, ONRR, allowable royalty owner charges, etc.). Responsible for all aspects of staff development and performance. Hands on with projects, process improvements, staff planning, and profitability.
Client Service Delivery
- Plan and manage service delivery for multiple clients, independently and autonomously. Direct staff, assign responsibilities, implement controls, prepare billing, and manage profitability of each client engagement.
- Act as trusted advisor to senior executives in client organizations.
- Implement client service processes for each of your accounts. Oversee adherence to processes and controls.
- Setup and configure software to match client’s business process.
- Maintain close and active relationships with client.
- Respect the confidential and independent nature of the client relationships.
- Exhibit a sense of urgency and commitment to quality and the timely completion of duties.
- Provide client service at the highest level.
- Understand and diagnose client issues effectively and efficiently.
- Maintain active communication to control expectations and ensure client satisfaction.
- Manage all business drivers in a professional services organization to operate efficiently and effectively: labor, utilization/capacity, and expense management. Review and/or manage client billing process for each engagement on a timely basis. Actively manage financials, WIP, AR, and planned vs. unplanned write downs.
- Ensure appropriate resources and team members are scheduled for each client team.
- Identify organizational inefficiencies and communicate these to management along with a proposed solution.
- Accountable for client engagement preparation activities, where needed. Ensure deliverables meet quality standards, Ensure that individual / team work is in compliance with firm / team quality and risk management standards / practices.
- Develop and implement model procedures for major functional areas (e.g., A/P, month end close, financials preparation, etc.). Document certain aspects of service delivery, including client workflow, processes, controls, and period close.
- Demonstrate analytical, organization, interpersonal, project management, communication, and trouble shooting skills.
- Take on occasional special project work with the ability to manage the project from start to finish.
- Investigate / implement automation and offshoring to improve efficiencies and margins.
Develop our People
- Engage staff productively in service delivery and professional development.
- Provide performance feedback and coaching. Review performance counselee time budgets and performance and development goals.
- Train in processes/procedures, accounting software use, and oil and gas revenue
- Act as and be perceived as a positive role model and leader within the team.
- Act as a mentor and resource for staff.
- Prepare or modify training materials on occasion.
Maintain Oil & Gas Accounting Expertise
- Keep current in COPAS and primary oil and gas producing states’ accounting / reporting / filing statutes.
- Leverage your expertise through developing staff and implementing processes to imbed knowhow.
- Bachelor’s degree in a specialized field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of related experience; previous related upstream oil and gas industry and consulting experience highly preferred; a minimum of five (5) years of supervisory responsibilities highly preferred.
- Demonstrated management, analytical, organization, interpersonal, project management, communication skills, and highly developed Microsoft Suite skills (Word, Excel) required.
- Exceptional leader with demonstrated ability to motivate, inspire and elevate team performance. Ability to lead and supervise others, provide exceptional client service, demonstrate commitment to continuous learning in order to stay current regarding applicable strategies, see the "big picture" as well as the details, display appropriate ethical knowledge and commitment, and exhibit a sense of urgency and commitment to quality and the timely delivery of client services and projects.
- Ability to decompose scope into detailed activities and deliverables, then conduct work package handoff to delivery resources from Baker Tilly, client team, and third party vendors.
- The highest levels of technical competence in upstream accounting specializations.
- High level of ethical knowledge and commitment.
- Superior ability and proven effective oral, written, and interpersonal skills computer software skills appropriate to the specific field.
- Proven organizational and problem-solving skills.
- A sense of urgency and a commitment to timely completion of projects.
- Attention to detail along with a commitment to quality and confidentiality.
- Flexibility to travel to client site as needed and work outside of normal business hours due to client demands.