Role Value Proposition:
MetLife is seeking a Regional Director to lead the Central Regional Office (CRO) of its Global Agricultural Finance group. The Regional Director (RD) has overall responsibility and accountability for the portfolio growth and asset management, comprised of agricultural mortgage loan production, for the geographic area encompassing a 23 state territory in North Central United States.
Reporting directly to the Managing Director and Chief Operating Officer for MetLife Real Estate & Agricultural Finance, the Regional Director will manage a team of approximately 15 seasoned professionals and work closely with other regional peers, regional architects, and asset class strategists. He or she will represent the senior “face" of MetLife Agricultural Finance in the Region, which includes direct external marketing of our Agricultural Finance products to the industry, as well as developing and maintaining long-term relationships with borrowers, brokers, and key clients. The Central Region is one of five regions in the U.S. and one international region through which Agricultural Finance sources and manages farm, ranch, agribusiness and timber mortgage investments.
The Agricultural Finance Central Region is responsible for growing and managing its $4.1 billion portfolio spread across a 23 state territory in North Central United States. The customer base includes private land owners and institutional investors. The primary objective of this role includes expanding the agricultural debt platform and seeking new opportunities across a multi-state territory. The Regional Director is responsible for sustaining and growing the Region’s peer-leading performance and aggressive AUM growth goals for the agricultural debt platform. The successful candidate will play a key role in developing a client-centric operating model for the region to support the MetLife Investment Management (MIM) platform.
- Set strategic direction and oversee performance of the Central Region, including loan production growth across a 23 state territory
- As a member of the MetLife Agricultural Finance senior leadership team, contribute to the development of departmentalinvestment strategies; communicate and oversee local execution of those strategies
- Manage the regional platform to ensure growth of assets and sustained optimal portfolio performance and net income growth for both the MetLife General Account, as well as MIM client accounts
- Oversee a consistent investment process; guide and implement investment decisions to ensure appropriate risk/return outcomes
- Set and deliver best-in-class standards for client service in the Region to support future AUM growth through long-term relationship-building with borrowers, brokers and partners
- Source and vet investment opportunities through Regional Investment Committee and Agricultural Strategy Group Investment Committee to ensure quality control of investments, deal structures, and appropriate risk/return metrics
- Manage mortgage portfoliorisk to maximize income potential and minimize credit losses, operating deficits, and income variances; proactively address potential loan problems to optimize economic outcome
- Mentor, develop and manage talent; ensure succession planning across the region
- Effectively lead staff in a manner that results in high productivity and performance; champion a culture of Continuous Improvement
- Aggressively manage the Regional Office budget and expense measures
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- 15+ years of relevant experience, ideally with regional agricultural investment leadership responsibility
- Deep expertise in agricultural loan production with track record of portfolio growth, while providing front end deal guidance to origination team with regard to loan pricing, structure and risk assessments
- Deep expertise in sector asset and portfolio management, including appreciation for ongoing risk management, portfolio surveillance, relative value analysis, superior knowledge of lending principles, credit procedures, collateral and credit analysis
- Approving loans within delegated authority and sponsoring loans for presentation to agricultural credit committee
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain customer and peer relationships
- Proven motivational leadership skills; track record of engaging, developing, and retaining top investment talent of diverse tenures
- Business & financial acumen; budget & expense management experience
- Organizational intelligence; adept at navigating a complex matrix
- Excellent written, oral, and presentation skills
- Travel requirements 10% – 30%
- MBA, CFA, or equivalentexperiencepreferred
- Thinks Strategically – Sets direction aligned to the company’s strategy, applying external and global perspective to meet local and global needs.
- Motivates People – Gains people commitment to achieve business objectives through clear communication of the company’s vision and flexing leadership styles to inspire high performance.
- Creates Partnerships – Authentically builds trusted relationships and collaborates across global, diverse and multi-functional teams to successfully drive business objectives.
- Seizes Opportunity – Seeks new opportunities and ways to create balanced business growth while improving operational capabilities.
- Grows Talent – Inclusively and pro-actively develops talent, empowers individuals and manages diverse teams to drive engagement and performance.
- Models our Values – Creates a culture that promotes the company’s values and standards through role modeling, accountability and ownership of decisions.
- Focuses on Customers – Promotes customer centricity and ensures focus on creating great customer experiences to achieve competitive advantage.
- Drives Results – Sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards.
- Reports to: Managing Director, Chief Operating Officer for MetLife Real Estate & Agricultural Finance
- Direct reports/team: Team of 15 across multiple states
- Key Stakeholders: Regional Director peers, Regional Architects, Agricultural Strategy Group, Legal, Compliance, Marketing, Risk, Research, Analytics, Portfolio Management, Finance, HR