The role of the Associate Creative Director (ACD) is to foster and produce creative and strategic solutions with a fresh perspective. An ACD must fulfill all criteria of a Group Supervisor in addition to understanding all aspects of the department’s needs. An ACD must participate in and run new business pitches while simultaneously maintaining group needs. They are responsible for following up on all production aspects of any given assigned projects. The Creative Director approves the hiring of freelance support.
Job Responsibilities (essential functions of the job):
- To master a knowledge of their assigned brand:
- the disease state
- specific brand
- marketing/advertising strategy
- tactical plan
- To fully participate in the strategic component of the development of creative briefs, market research, client input and job opening meetings
- To create images that are strategically on target using The Brand Footprint and Demand Strategy (to relay knowledge of brand and strategic processes in order to grow strategic talent within the group).
- To relay conceptual thoughts effectively in order to delegate big idea thinking and strategy
- To work closely with the copy writer and supervisor to generate original concepts that reflect product positioning
- To develop a variety of concepts for each assignment that display diversity between them -- attacking the creative problem from different points of view yet producing concepts consistent with the footprint and selling strategy
- To understand that concepts, while needing to be “original”, also need to be consistent with the brand
- To understand the objective (client/account team rationale) for the tactical elements that they will be writing
- Be able to discuss and defend these concepts to the brand creative team
- Be a resource for the account team in solving creative problems
- Work closely with entire internal team to develop effective, impactful ideas based on tactical plan.
- Work in conjunction with the studio to create full copy layouts when necessary.
- Supervise the execution of new art such as photoshoot, illustrations, digital imaging and the research of stock photography.
- Supervise development of the mechanical by working closely with direct reports.
- Supervise execution of final product by working closely with direct reports.
- Present creative to the client.
- Provide solid direction for video or rip formats to video team under supervision.
- Provide solid direction for interactive pieces to interactive team under supervision.
- Supervise pitch process (including strategy, concepts, video and tactics) under supervision.
- Develop a relationship with client(s) of assigned staff members by attending and participating in client meetings
- Establish and maintain a positive relationship with assigned clients
- Serve as a resource for the account team and the client in solving creative problems
- Accurately estimate all costs associated with individual projects to fall within
- Produce best creative solution within the estimated budget by having an awareness of end usage of that project
- Manage allocated hours on projects (must keep track of all ART hours i.e.,
Freelance, studio, any “art” related person billing to that particular job number)
- Alert Account Services if hours exceed estimated budget
- Recognize problems and provide solutions in day-to-day creative development
- Provide ideas and/or solutions to issues as they arise that may be outside the original scope of work (i.e., big ideas, interactive, or video solutions).
- Effectively manage workload and personal “focus” from a business perspective; prioritizing demands effectively.
- Ensure that the day-to-day expectations of the client are met by being prompt with deadlines (follow through with traffic and account services to meet client needs
- Adhere to client regulatory and approval processes
- Organize and prioritize the creative process so the approval process will not be delayed
- Know the competitor’s current advertising strategies by reviewing journals and article summaries supplied by account services
- Attend and contribute to internal tactical planning / brainstorming planning meetings
Internal Agency Skills
- Provide assistance with general workload when available
- Handle assigned new business pitches
- Alert supervisor of downtime and availability or if overloaded
- Conduct Employee Orientation Meetings as needed
- Handle and prioritize multiple projects
- Be able to communicate the status of assigned projects at all times
- Forecast, communicate and resolve unattainable deadlines
- Estimate and schedule time that may impact other departments with the department head or supervisor before committing their services
- Conduct well organized and timely group meetings
- Continually strive to foster a positive attitude within the group and the agency
Internal Agency Mechanics
- Adhere to and teach creative processes and procedures (i.e., how to supply the studio with a project, how to supply DIG a file, how to develop and update spec sheets, how to supply preflight files, conceptualizing before developing layouts, follow project through mechanical stages, photography and retouching, select freelance support (with supervisor’s approval)
- Write clear and concise internal and external correspondence
- Organize and write compelling oral presentations
- Present materials to both client and agency in an articulate and persuasive manner
- Capable of running a new business pitch meeting
- Communicate points of discussion clearly
Demonstrate proficiency with MAC based applications (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Accurately submit the following on a timely basis for self and direct reports: Time Sheets, Absence Request Forms
- Coordinate the approval and scheduling of all time off for assigned staff
- Coordinate reviews for group in timely manner (including promotions).
Team Consciousness – understands that one’s actions affects others and the agency as a whole and acts accordingly
Judgment / Critical Thinking – makes decisions and evaluations demonstrating maturity and business savvy
Accountability – takes responsibility
Leadership – demonstrates the ability to inspire others
Adaptability – remains flexible and focused in an environment of changing circumstances
Supervisory Responsibilities (employees, freelancers, temporaries, contractors and vendors supervised directly):
Assigned Art Director(s), Art Supervisors and Group Art Supervisors
Prerequisites (formal education, skills, job-related experience and technical knowledge):
Education: College level or comparative degree in Advertising / Design
Industry: Five Years of advertising agency experience.
Tracking Code 2987-094