Reporting to the Controller, plans and directs accounting activities by performing the following duties.
- Manage the daily accounting operations, including reviewing daily journal entries, general ledger and bancontrol reconciliations, nonposts, and system balancing etc.
- Manages monthly bankwide General Ledger certification process.
- Manages the bi-weekly payroll accounting process.
- Close the month-end books on a timely basis, including analyzing general ledger fluctuations, reviewing month-end reconciliations/certifications for accuracy, assessing accruals, prepaids, etc.
- Participates in the maintenance of the general ledger system, ensuring that account and cost centers are opened, deactivated timely, and organized appropriately.
- Maintains and understands the interface between loan/deposit system and GL system.
- Prepares regulatory reports and/or prepares supporting schedules for regulatory reporting.
- Reviews federal and state withholding returns
- Liaises with internal and external auditors, including performing walkthroughs, providing journal entries and other supporting documentation internally prepared.
- Actively trouble-shoots and problem-solves internal accounting issues through collaboration with other bank departments.
- Assists CFO, Controller, and/or CAO with special projects.
- Responsible for effective management, coaching and evaluation of staff.
- Responsible for adherence to all compliance programs, including but not limited to, completion of all required and assigned training modules by established due dates.
- Understands and complies with requirements of all laws and regulations applicable to position.
- Continuously finds opportunities to improve accounting processes to build more efficiency.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
Intermediate knowledge of spreadsheet programs (e.g. excel). Knowledge of Prologue and Fiserv Premier accounting systems is preferred, as well as applicable regulations governing areas of responsibility. Intermediate knowledge of other programs such as email and Microsoft Word. Knowledge of bank accounting and general banking operations is preferred.
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field with a minimum of 5 years of related accounting experience. Supervisory experience.