RGA’s culture stresses high performance and collaboration, and the company hires the smartest people in the industry. And, the smart people they hire are not just number crunchers. RGA values creativity and curiosity. RGA also values humility, and its employees work together without ego to bring value to RGA while revolutionizing the life and health insurance space.
The Asset-Intensive team supports the development and execution of GFS’ asset-intensive product strategy globally and develops tools and optimizes processes, which improve our business capabilities and competitiveness.
The VP Asset-Intensive leads and/or works on assigned projects and initiatives, helps setting the team’s agenda and supports the SVP Asset-Intensive in leading the function and delivering its objectives globally, with a focus on current key markets and identified emerging markets for our asset-intensive solutions.
- Identifies and develops new and improves upon existing strategies to deal with managing risks in asset-intensive business and optimizes our capacity against risk limits. Utilizes expertise to advise GFS senior management, in their roles as portfolio owners, on level and nature of key risks in proposed investment/ALM strategy during the transaction approval process.
- Identifies together with Business Development new asset-intensive market opportunities and strategies to write business in those markets. Enhances the asset-intensive origination targeting via development of opportunistic strategies for current and evolving environments, including communication to Business Development, Pricing, and GFS Risk Management to ensure an overall coordinated approach to market risk. Provides input into the global asset-intensive product strategy.
- Proactively engages with Investments in our continuous effort to optimize portfolios, to improve existing and develop new capabilities and client offerings. Contributes to the value management strategy and cycle management strategy for our in-force portfolios to ensure consistency with the new business approach.
- Engages with GFS Pricing and Corporate Risk Management on asset-intensive pricing methodology and assumption setting, to improve and share best practices, to foster global consistency and to ensure alignment between strategy and pricing. Maintains a constructive dialogue with Corporate Partners and other stakeholders (e.g. Corporate ALM, Enterprise Risk, Corporate Actuary, etc.) and advocates for the interests of GFS
- Makes sure that GFS associates have the right training and guidance to support the asset-intensive business
- Supports individual transactions by providing additional creativity to the structuring and pricing process on select complex transactions as needed.
- Enhances RGA’s brand externally by acting as a SME and carrying out branding activities:
- a. Participate in industry or professional working groups
- b. Present at RGA client events
- c. Make industry conference presentations
- d. Write journal articles & brochures
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in business, math, finance, actuarial sciences, statistics, econometrics or related field.
- 10+y of professional experience in financial services, such as insurance/reinsurance, investment banking, asset management or consulting, with a large portion thereof focusing on life insurance / pension investment management and/or ALM.
- Subject matter expertise in insurance ALM and investments including yield optimization and hedging strategies and their impact on the relevant KPIs.
- Experience in more than one function/role (e.g. insurance pricing and investment advisory)
- Actuarial qualification (fellowship level)
- CFA charterholder
Skills and Abilities
- Expert knowledge in life insurance portfolio management, ALM, LDI and derivatives/hedging strategies.
- Expert ability to translate expert knowledge into practical, efficient solutions at the transaction level.
- Expert level of investigative, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Proven track record of identifying opportunities and threats to the asset-intensive business and to turn such insights into action.
- Expert ability to work well in an environment with multiple stakeholders, decision makers and sometimes diverging priorities.
- Expert oral and written communication skills, demonstrating the ability to convey business terminology that is meaningful and well received.
- Expert ability to liaise with individuals across a wide variety of operational, functional and technical disciplines.
- Ability to operate independently with minimal required guidance in day-to-day operations.
- Expert persuasion and negotiation skills.
- Fluency in English.