The VP, Accounting Policy and Internal Controls is a key member of the accounting senior management staff, and is responsible for all accounting policies, internal control documentation, SOC 1 and compliance audits.
He/She will play a lead role on the accounting and financialreporting staff; assist in creating, implementing, and enforcing finance related policies and procedures; identify and implement financial systems, financialreporting and operational controls; assist in internal and external financialaudits; and lead special projects.
In addition he/she will:
- Research technical accounting literature and document accounting positions for application to financialreporting.
- Remain informed of current and proposed accounting standards/practices and assess the impact of accounting changes on financial statements, procedures, and internal controls.
- Provide accounting research and analysis of significant contracts and complex accounting transactions.
- Document accounting conclusions in formal memos and work with external auditors to support accounting positions
- Interpret contracts and prepare technical memos addressing accounting conclusions
- Assist with and provide support for SEC reporting process, including 10-K, 10-Q, and 8-K filings – contribute to preparation and review of financial statements, footnotes, and management discussion and analysis.
- Monitor, communicate, analyze, operationalize and implement new and emerging accounting standards (including system implementation if applicable).
- Work with business partners to develop deal structures which accomplish customer objectives while yielding desired economics and accounting outcomes for Mr. Cooper.
- Periodic training to update Mr. Cooper’s finance and accounting teams on new and emerging accounting standards.
- Develop, implement, oversee, and/or execute financial controls, as needed, including testing of controls. Prepare and maintain documentation on accounting systems procedures and internal controls.
- Ensure appropriate controls and financial procedures are in place across the accounting organization and are consistently enforced and that all financial functions are performed in compliance with current legal and regulatory guidelines.
- Play a key role in long-term systems planning and implementation in alignment with the Company’s strategic plans. Partner with IT in developing tools and systems to provide critical financial and operational information to the Executive Management Team/Top Team and the Board of Directors.
- Provide management with any and all accounting and financial information necessary for making policy decisions.
- Prepare and deliver various analyses reports and presentations.
- Miscellaneous projects as necessary
- At least 10+ years progressive accounting experience in a financial services company that has a lending business, with a CPA.
- Substantial experience in and working knowledge of authoritative U.S. GAAP technical accounting research and application
- Strong analytical, problem solving skills and collaborative skills
- Experience with SEC Reporting.
- Ability to multi-task on competing and deadline sensitive priorities
- Proven ability to excel in high-growth environment.
- Strong foundation in core financial concepts including US GAAPreporting and accounting standards. In depth understanding of SEC financialreporting requirements as well as SOX (or SOC 1) and internal controls over financialreporting.
- Experience with assisting in the preparation of all regulatory auditfinancialreporting requirements including Reg A/B, USAP, FNMA, GNMA, Freddie Mac, MBFRF, NMLS, and various state requirements.
- Ability to research and writing of technical accounting memos to ensure GAAP compliance, as well as monitor and implement emerging accounting pronouncements, and the maintenance of accounting policies. Collaborate with divisions to ensure compliance with accounting policies and assist in resolving questions.
- Experience assisting the SEC reporting team in the preparation of interim and annual SEC filings, primarily SEC Forms 10Q and 10K.
- Ability to work with external audit firm to support timely and accurate completion of quarterly and annual internal and external financialreporting requests.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; proficient in technical accounting writing ability
- Must be flexible and able to manage deliverables as requested, sometimes on tight deadlines. Executive presence with ability to represent the Controller in meetings.
- High energy, hands-on, and “roll up your sleeves” attitude with the ability to play a leadership role in a high caliber investment accounting team, operate in a quickly changing environment and self-initiate.
- Demonstrated ability to support a Controller and build relationships with executive management and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to inform and appropriately influence at all levels of the organization.
- Proven ability to analyze complex financial matters, simplify them down into concise recommendations and prepare reports/presentations for executive management.
- Motivational leadership style, with a penchant for leading by example, disciplined action and driving results. Balances internal management and external focus that consistently defines and resolves the business’ needs.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field; CPA required.
Job Requisition ID: 3421