The primary purpose of the Virtual Sales Consultant (VSC) role is to manage a “virtual” territory of advisors to drive growth and profitability across multiple business lines (advisory and brokerage). The VSC is an advisor’s single point of contact for all sales and marketing efforts and a subject matter expert on the features and benefits of LPL’s various advisory platforms as well as investment products such as insurance, annuities, mutual funds, and alternative investments. The VSC is also a source of holistic financial planning expertise and guidance for advisors to better serve the needs of their clients’ retirement and other financial goals.
Client Case Consultations - Provides subject matter expert consulting with financial advisors on new sales opportunities. This involves performing a detailed needs analysis that starts through a discover process of the prospect through analyzing existing account statements and performance reports, determining appropriate risk tolerance, identifying estate/trust planning needs and understanding short and long term goals for assets. Once a comprehensive needs analysis is completed, the VSC provides options for consideration relative to asset allocations and/or manager selections as well as product solutions including managed accounts and alternative investments. These selections are all highly customizable and require critical thinking to help the advisor identify appropriate solutions. If necessary, other departments may be consulted including research, Private Trust Company, Financial Planning, etc. A baseline knowledge of these other areas is also essential for the VSC.
Advisory Platform & Investment Product Training & Education - Consults with financial advisors about all aspects of the six LPL advisory platforms including positioning from a practice management perspective, economics, features and functionality of all six platforms, and ultimately provide portfolio considerations for advisors' prospects. Must possess the ability to articulate market and economic impacts as well as technical investment characteristics of portfolios and underlying securities. Consults on advisory platform technology including portfolio analytic tools, investor presentation and portfolio builder tools and LPL BranchNet management/trading tools. In addition to the advisory platform solutions, the VSC is also seen as a subject matter expert on investment products such as Insurance, Annuities, Alternative Investments, and 529s. The VSC is also required to have a solid foundational understanding of various Financial Planning concepts such as estate and trust planning, tax-related client needs and concerns, and other concepts. The VSC will also be expected to be able to discuss Advisor University and other training opportunities and help Advisors to determine how to best leverage those resources to grow their businesses.
Technology Training & Proposal Generation - Consult on product technology including portfolio analytic tools, investor presentation and portfolio builder tools and LPL BranchNet management/trading tools. Provides SME content and recommendations for training. Participates in proposal campaigns which includes leading webinars on IPPT, helping advisors identify prospects for advisory platforms, creating the proposal and helping the advisor understand the positioning.
Other Job Duties:
- •Use questioning techniques to diagnose advisor and client needs and provide appropriate options for consideration.
- •Provides financial advisors with analyses of existing prospect portfolios.
- •Works cooperatively across Advisory & Product Consulting to facilitate cross referrals.
- •Works cooperatively with other LPL departments to facilitate cross referrals.
- •Maintains current knowledge and understanding of LPL Research models and updates, industry trends, etc.
- •Bachelor's degree in Financial Services or a related field required
- •FINRASeries 7 and 63/65 or 66 required
- •Certified Financial Planner (CFP) or similar designation(s) strongly preferred
- •7-10 years of financial services, sales and/or consultation experiencerequired
- •Very strong knowledge of advisory/fee-based platforms, insurance, annuities, and other products
- •Superior communication skills, both verbal and written
- •Polished presentation skills, both live and via virtual webinar, are critical
- •Ability to interact with sophisticated clients and advisors
- •Creative problem-solving, effective decision making, ability to diffuse tense situations
- •Ability to multi-task, including strong follow-up skills and solo territory management
- •Upbeat and optimistic attitude, energetic, and strong passion to drive sales
- •MS Office proficiency required