Points of Light envisions a world where it is impossible to stand on the sidelines and individuals are empowered to act and lead a civic life. Our youth and family programs drive millions of hours of volunteer service proving every individual, no matter how old, can make a positive change in the world. Our recognition programs spotlight and celebrate powerful examples of every-day civic engagement and impact; they celebrate, create and connect a community of highly engaged individuals and provide exposure to issues and impact that would otherwise not have a platform. Together with our partners, our recognition programs demonstrate that what you recognize is a reflection of what you value.
This leader will be charged with bringing these ideals to life at Points of Light. Both the youth and recognition portfolios have significant growth potential and are import drivers of success in Points of Light strategic plan. Points of Light is seeking an experienced and energetic executive to provide strategic direction and leadership for this program department. The ideal candidate is a dynamic, dedicated and high-level professional with experience designing and implementing successful programs and building the infrastructure and partnerships to achieve measurable results. Leading a staff of 4 direct reports and large cross-functional teams, this department is responsible for the following core programs and partnerships:
Position Functions and Responsibilities include:
- Strategic Direction and Management
- Develop and execute department strategies that align with and further the POL enterprise strategy.
- Provide oversight for the daily and long-term activities of programs and initiatives.
- Leverage data and evaluation to drive decision making.
- Oversee key technology products and new product development to ensure scale of programs.
- Facilitate and Manage Cross-Functional Projects across the Organization
- Convene and manage cross functional and organization-wide activities to related to the deliverables of the youth and recognition programs.
- Team Development
- Managing staff to ensure that programs achieve their goals and satisfies commitments to funders.
- Attract, develop, coach, and retain high-performance team members, empowering them to elevate their level of responsibility, span of control, and performance.
- Work with staff to develop systems to ensure consistent, high-quality project management.
- Provide leadership in development of inter-team communication and cohesiveness, sustaining culture and supporting staff during organizational growth.
- Finance and Fundraising
- Demonstrate consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the program goals.
- Work in partnership with the Points of Light Development team, to identify fundraising and/or grant opportunities and develop implementation plans to enhance funding opportunities for the recognition program area.
- Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing programs and the growth of Points of Light; cultivate existing relationships and develop new funder relationships.
- Manage department budgets and partner with finance to forecast and reconcile budgets monthly.
- Partnership Management and Cultivation
- Manage and develop relationships with partner organizations in conjunction with staff that supports youth and recognition programs.
- Serve as program and relationship manager for a portfolio of presidential and corporate award programs.
- Youth Program Design and Execution
- Manage and develop program toolkits and curriculum that educate and engage youth in leading a civic life.
- Evaluate effectiveness of youth programs against program goals and produce summary reports and videos.
- Knowledge Management and Dissemination
- Develop the necessary systems, processes, and tools to better support the facilitation, collection, and sharing of knowledge that is generated by the programs.
- Develop and maintain ways to monitor and keep abreast of youth service trends and public service and private sector award and recognition programs.
- All other duties as assigned.
Core Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of grantmaking and program design best practices
- Proven relationship builder with government officials and corporate executives
- Superior communication skills
- Strong balance of strategic and operating skills
- Strong program and project management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects while meeting tight deadlines.
- Outstanding team leader and builder.
- A bachelor's degree, with a degree in business, marketing, or nonprofit management preferred
- Minimum of 12 years of relevant experience
- Strong professional leadership experience in the corporate, nonprofit, or public sector (a mix of nonprofit/public sector and corporate experience is preferred)
- Experience working with volunteers and in youth programming
- Ability to travel, approximately 5% if based in Atlanta, once a month if in DC or NYC