The Treasurer is responsible for the management of the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts (BCBSMA) investment portfolio and supporting related accounting/compliance/reporting, corporate-wide liquidity, cash management, as well as, relationships with all financial institutions and investment advisory. In addition, the Treasurer oversees all financing functions including bank credit facilities, leasing and other financing activities to ensure there is sufficient capital and credit availability to meet both operational and strategic needs. The role also chairs the Retirement Plans Investment Committee responsible for $1.2 billion in retirement assets and works closelywith the Human Resource Department to provide financial oversight of the corporation's pension and 401(k) programs. The individual also holds the position of Treasurer for the BCBSMA Foundation and is responsible for all financial functions including financialreporting, cash management and management of the endowment.
- Develop overall investment strategy and asset allocation plans for corporate, pension and employee savings planportfolios. Responsible for establishing portfolio structure, selection of investment manager(s), monitoring compliance and developing Investment Trading Guidelines for each manager/portfolio. Preparing short and long term cash flow forecasts and reallocation of funds among portfolio sectors to achieve desiredinvestment and liquidity objectives as well as enhance investment income.
- Actively manage fixed income portfolios up to approximately $300+ million to meet the daily corporate-wide liquidity requirements. Performance results are measured against Board approved benchmarks and performance objectives and must adhere to the Investment Trading Guidelines and Compliance Requirements of the BCBSMA Statement of Investment Policy.
- Overall Portfolio Management responsibilities include: Developing investment strategy/policy and asset allocation plans to realize maximum investment return relative to approved investment guidelines.
- Chair BCBSMA Investment Committee responsible for $4.3 billion in corporate, pension, strategic invested assets.
- Provide critical support to the Finance and Business Performance Committee of the BCBSMA Board of Directors, as well as, reporting on all investment activities and performance results.
- Establish and maintain appropriate risk-return levels within the investment portfolios to achieve stated objectives.
- Ensure compliance with the BCBSMA Statement of Investment Policy.
- Keeping informed of market trends and analyzing the effect of these trends on the investment portfolio.
- Maintaining relationships withtraders and other members of the investment community to execute investment decisions in a timely manner.
- Working closelywithothers in Finance to develop and maintain sophisticated cash forecasting and investment income models as part of the corporate financial planning process that enable the Company to operate with an appropriate amount of working capital and maximize net investment income.
- Develop integrated strategic plans, operational goals, processes, contracts and risk mgt. programs designed to protect corporate assets while minimizing liabilities.
- Provide overall leadership and management within the Finance Division and to the Treasury Team as well as strong functional leadership within the Company.
- Managing, developing, and motivating Treasury staff of 10-12associates to perform at high levels. This group includes professionals certified within their respective areas of expertise. Enables a culture of high performance and continuous development for experienced staff.
- Deep and broad understanding and experience in financial markets, health insurance and banking industry.
- Proven working knowledge of insurance, investment and banking industry rules, regulation.
- Exhibits strategic thinking and looks for ways to improve and innovate; anticipates change and risk; understands market dynamics.
- Team oriented/collaborative – ability to work with senior management team to ensure achievement of corporate goals.
- Display strong verbal, communication and presentations skills to all levels of the organization.
- Ability to influence others at various senior levels.
- Applies strong and insightful business judgement addressing complex and dynamic situations.
- Experiencewith Board interactions.
- Results oriented with a creative problem-solving ability within complex financial arrangement.
- Minimum of ten years of Corporate Finance Management experience.
- Minimum of ten years direct experience leading and managing experienced staff required.
- BA/BS required; MBA or other advanced degree in Accounting, Finance or Investments required.