Founded in 1967, W. R. Berkley Corporation has grown from a small investment management firm into one of the largest commercial lines property and casualty insurers in the United States.
Along the way, we’ve been listed on the New York Stock Exchange, seen our revenue soar well past $7 billion, and become a well-respected Fortune 500 Company.
Today, the Berkley brand comprises 53 Berkley companies worldwide. Still managed by our Executive Chairman, founder and largest shareholder, W. R. Berkley Corporation is well-positioned to respond to opportunities for future growth.
In April 2017, W. R. Berkley Corporation celebrated the 50th anniversary of its founding.
Responsible for overseeing all global treasury activities including: foreign currency management, capital markets and financing, cash management and forecasting, coordination of liquidity management with the Investment Department, and management of certain credit risks. Define and develop an optimal global capital structure through a comprehensive and actively managed financing strategy.
- Manage cash flow forecasts for multiple operating units globally and enterprise wide; develop understanding of cash flow trends. Monitor and manage firm's daily cash positions; responsible for collateral & cash management, including coordination of cash movements.
- Credit exposure assessment and analysis – credit, foreign currency and liquidity risk management
- Third party capital issuance / financing
- Performs financial modeling to ensure adequate liquidity
- Foreign currency management and experience related to accounting considerations
- Global capital deployment and required capital in local jurisdictions
- Development of policies & procedures, analytics, monitoring, and reporting capabilities across functional areas
- Effectively communicates treasury initiatives with internal and external stakeholders including company executives, investor relations, and bankers
- Support analytics and reporting related to the firm's capital, funding, and liquidity risks, including liquidity stress testing and funds transfer pricing. Review quarterly firm financials and provide supplementary information around liquidity and capital commentaries.
- Ensure Treasury activities are in compliance with Treasury policies, accounting guidelines, governance policies, and internal controls
- Manage and respond to all audit requests, work with external and internal auditors on supporting information requirements
- Maintain, promote, and help negotiate banking relationships, monitor bank fee analysis reports
- Support ad hoc projects and other requests from various internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure compliance with SOX internal controls, policies and procedures
- Oversight of Assistant Treasurer
- Recommend, implement and maintain process improvements and procedures
- Bachelor's degree in finance, accounting or economics, Master’s Degree preferred
- Certified Treasury Professional (CTP), CPA, and/or CFA is preferred
- 15 + years corporate finance and treasury experience.
- Experience in financial services industry, including the commercial property and casualty insurance area preferred
- Experience in Investment Banking preferred
- Advanced knowledge of capital markets and accounting principles
- Commitment to high quality and ability to adhere to tight deadlines.
- Critical thinking, attention to detail, communication skills, business writing, creative problem-solving and project management skills are important for this position.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, decision-making, strategic thinking and planning skills.
- Proficiency in all Microsoft applications including the ability to utilize pivot tables, creating financial dashboards, and managing large data sets
- Able to efficiently work with senior management