Vice President, Total Rewards-Utah
The qualified candidate will have a dynamic and challenging opportunity to transform compensation, benefits and HRIS – to expand the foundation & philosophy that will align with our business strategies. This requires an entrepreneurial approach - someone who can harmonize our company culture and business groups. They will be hands on, have solid business and systems acumen, and be able to manage competing priorities.
The Vice President, Total Rewards will serve as a strategic leader responsible for the strategy, design, management and implementation of creative, market-competitive total reward packages and HRIS for clients diverse employees. This includes leading the annual compensation review; developing and managing total cash compensation approaches; managing base, variable and bonus compensation plus a variety of rewards and recognition programs, managing employee benefit and retirement plans, and directing HRIS for our expanding workforce, that positively impact our business strategy and objectives.
Essential Job Functions:
- Define and execute on a compensation philosophy that will enable client to attract, develop, motivate and retain top talent.
- Provide subject matter expertise - accurately interpreting, counseling, communicating, and educating People & Talent (P&T) business partners, managers and executives on pay decisions, policy and guideline interpretations, and job evaluations for current and new positions.
- Partner with P&T colleagues on a collective effort to build and integrate job levels, compensation ranges, and promotion guidelines into the total rewards programs.
- Direct and conduct benchmarking efforts associated with the total rewards mechanics and programs and elevate our understanding of competitiveness.
- Accountable for budget, program and policy recommendations and short/medium to longer-term planning.
- Collaborate with Finance and Leadership to build and manage cyclical and non-cyclical compensationbudgets.
- Apply current and emerging market trends to identify and address potential opportunities and gaps.
- Partner with P&T colleagues to optimize all compensation processes including plan design, market competitiveness, distribution and sign off.
- Further refine clients employee benefits programs and policies, ensuring alignment and embodiment of cultural values, leadership principles and company strategy.
- Manage partnerships with third-party benefits brokers, vendors, consultants, and advisors to regularly review offerings, plan designs, eligibility requirements, and participation.
- Coordinate and lead the 403b administrative committee.
- Maintain expert knowledge of pay and benefit laws/regulations, providing oversight and guidance of internal procedure to ensure compliance and consistency. Partner with P&T Operations to ensure that all welfare and retirement plans (health, dental, vision, life, disability, FSA, 403b, etc.) meet legal, regulatory and audit compliance.
- Review benefit claims and utilization data on an ongoing basis; analyze and interpret data for trends, improvements, and efficiencies.
- Create and implement various wellness initiatives and programs; establish ROI regarding programs.
- Overall management of analysis, design, compliance, communication, implementation, administration, monitoring and reporting of health, life, disability, and other benefit programs.
- Work closely with P&T Operations, business partners, and other cross-functional teams on various initiatives to support the strategic business objectives.
- Collaborate with P&T colleagues to provide counsel and build solutions appropriately (manager training related to total rewards).
- Lead broader staff communications to ensure understanding of total rewards programs including annual benefits open enrollment.
- Build and manage a total rewards team of comp and benefit analysts/experts as required to support clients expanding business and employee base.
- Maintain comparative analysis of job levels. Evaluate and determine job levels based on position description, market data, and internal comparison.
- Direct and lead the HRIS group to drive and support the achievement of business deliverables. Accomplish this with the goal of using HRIS systems to identify trends and solve business needs/problems, research and resolve HRIS issues and/or process flaws and recommend solutions or alternatives to meet requirements and maintain data security.
- In partnership with the IT Department, identify, review, test, and implement HRIS system upgrades or enhancements, including maintenance of system tables.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Demonstrated experience in total rewards design and implementation role with company of at least 5,000 employees.
- Demonstrated compensationexperience in the following areas: executive compensation, base salary, market pricing, variable pay, performance management, job evaluation, data analysis, research and cost modeling.
- 10+ years of relevant experience in the areas of compensation and benefits, including solid experience in managing or directing the HRIS function. 5+ years of hands-on experience managing people, processes and policies.
- Bachelor’s in Human Resource Management, Finance, Business or other related field. Master’s Degreepreferred.
- Strong understanding of HR principles, laws and practices with significant knowledge of government regulations as they apply to HR areas, especially compensation, benefits and employment lawrequired.
- CCP (Certified Compensation Professional) or progress toward certification preferred.
- In-depth technical understanding of HR systems and processes and the cross-functional interactions and impacts with other enterprise systems.
- Ability to understand, balance, and articulate both tactical and strategic planning issues.
- Ability to effectively translate quantitative and qualitative data into actionable insights, strategies and plans and to articulate data visually and in an understandable manner. Effective at leading, and communicating with executive leadership, but with the ability and willingness to play a 'hands-on' role with key projects and work streams.
- Strong interpersonal skills in dealing proactively with all levels of internal and external individuals including, employees, senior leadership, fellow team members and vendor or agency personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to convince others, in a potentially adversarial environment, including stakeholder leadership, VPs, Directors, Managers, staff, and vendors with opposing views to accept/approve plans or project recommendations.
- The ability to plan, organize, and prioritize multiple and simultaneous compensation design and program performance simulation projects.
- The ability to write, read, interpret, and act on proper understanding of technical HR materials, contracts, or related documents based on corporate legal and customer applications and Human Resources professional standards and philosophy.
- The ability to make professional presentations and to communicate effectively in writing, through emails and reports, or orally, complex technical matters to an audience.
- The ability to lead and direct the activities of other employees in order to achieve objectives, project schedules, and team goals and to complete assignments within established time frames and specifications.
- The ability to develop tasks and work assignments, clearly define objectives, and give technical direction with applied knowledge of alternatives and decision-making experience to guide subordinates.
- Proficient in MS Office including Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
Demonstrates these competencies in the achievement of objectives:
- Strategic Thinking: Applies broad strategic direction, with university-wide impact, and in a distributed organization context. Anticipates beyond short term and thinks critically.
- Execution and Achieves Results: Focused on results, not just activity. Exceptional skill and demonstrated success in delivering and improving results in a higher education senior leadership role. Strong bias for, and practical experience in, measuring and improving studentexperience.
- Managerial Courage: Willing to tackle difficult topics and conventional thinking in a respectful and productive manner; doesn’t hold anything back that needs to be said.
- Thinks Big/Innovation: Formulates a bold vision, sees around corners, and inspires results. Fosters creative thinking, and brings innovation successfully to market. Continually challenges and sets new standards for the status quo.
- Fiscal Responsibility: Clear ownership and delivery of revenue and cost budgets.