- Lead Canadian and international tax planning with a focus on cash repatriation strategies, reorganizations, and optimization transactions.
- Lead and mentor Canadian tax staff; collaborate and coordinate with tax teams across Brookfield Renewable to facilitate consistency, best practices, and knowledge sharing.
- Lead Canadian tax aspects of corporate debt and equity offerings and internal corporate reorganizations.
- Lead Canadian tax structuring of investments in Brookfield Private Funds.
- Oversee Canadian compliance outsourcing, including domestic and international filings.
- Oversee application of Canadian transfer pricing rules, obtaining relevant reports and documentation as required.
- Oversee quarterly IFRS tax provision for the Canadian group.
- Perform and review tax technical analysis on various matters affecting the business.
- Review current Canadian tax basis, surplus and other account balances for BREG subsidiaries.
- Lead CRA and provincial audit processes, including oversite of responses to queries, use of in house and external counsel and assessment settlement.
• CPA/CA designation with completed In-depth tax program or Masters of Taxation;
• 10 years corporate tax experience in a firm or in industry with a multinational corporate group;
- Experience with Canadian foreign affiliate rules;
- Working knowledge of tax accounting principles.
- M&A experience is also desirable.
- General understanding of cross-border tax issues, transfer pricing and US tax concepts;
- Vast exposure to tax planning;
• Ability to multi-task and work in a very fast-paced environment;
- Ability to communicate complex tax matters and issues in a clear and concise manner;
- Strong presentation skills
- Ability to work in a team environment and gain cooperation of others;
- Demonstrated capability to make decisions and set a clear direction;
- Strong planning and organizational skills to ensure that corporate tax initiatives are implemented systematically and within set timelines across the organization;
- Ability to apply a pragmatic and efficient approach to handling complex assignments;
- Strong written communications skills.