The Vice President, Strategic Communications provides leadership, planning, and execution for all of RWJBarnabas Health s strategic communications, to both the general public and the RWJBH system, public relations, crisis communications, as well as social, digital, and traditional media strategies. The VP serves as chief spokesperson for the health system.
Working with the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer, and other members of the marketing and communications team, the Vice President, Strategic Communications will be responsible for conceiving, developing, implementing, and integrating a broad range of communications, public relations, and social/digital activities in support of RWJBH s mission. She/he/they will ensure these activities are effective in promoting RWJBH s mission, vision, values, and strategic business priorities. The Vice President, Strategic Communications will work to help devise appropriate thought leadership platforms for members of the Executive Leadership Team and develop and/or oversee the creation of all external and network communications products and materials online, print, and broadcast products and tactics.
This individual will be responsible for the overall development, management, and direction of RWJBH s communications (network, key audience, public relations, social/digital, and crisis) strategies to support both corporate and individual facilities within the system. She/he/they will develop, socialize, and ensure uniform delivery of appropriate messaging to all relevant stakeholders and audiences, providing quality control for all communications materials, as well as oversee communications strategy support for key organizational programs and initiatives. Proactively lead RWJBH storytelling, message development, and narration.
The Vice President, Strategic Communications serves as a senior member of the Marketing and Communications Leadership Team.
Leadership, Staff Management and Organizational Strategy
- Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan in alignment with associated marketing plans designed to more clearly define RWJBH among its key stakeholders, broaden awareness of its programs and priorities, and increase visibility of its programs across relevant audiences
- Establish and maintain relationships with relevant organizations and media outlets. Identify and secure key speaking opportunities. Draft speeches, op-eds, and articles for submission to relevant publications and outlets.
- Promotes and supports a working environment consistent with the values-based culture of RWJBarnabas Health
- Provides value-based supervision, support, and guidance to direct reports; identifies and creates leadership and professional development opportunities for direct reports
- Leads the department in planning, coordinating and executing policies, procedures and strategies within the department
- Partners with Executive Leadership and other stakeholders, at both the corporate and local facility level, to achieve strategic objectives through successful implementation/completion of strategic initiatives
Media Relations/Public Relations
- Oversee all aspects of media relations/public relations/social media functions
- Develop and implement a public relations strategy that gains positive exposure for the organization and its programs and initiatives in the community
- Leverage existing relationships and cultivate new ones with relevant journalists, editorial boards, and other appropriate outlets to generate broader coverage of RWJBH s mission, programs and priorities
- Respond to media requests for information and oversee development of press/information kits, news releases, news materials, and fact sheets on organizational programs and initiatives
- Seek pro-active media opportunities and op-ed placements
- Facilitate media interviews with appropriate spokespersons and prepare appropriate briefing memoranda, talking points and Q&A documents
- Provide media coaching and interview training to staff, as appropriate
- Manage relationships with all associated media and communications consultants
- Support development and management of all collateral communications materials, including annual reports, pamphlets, audio-visual presentations, etc.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor s Degree in Marketing and Communications or other related field required.
- Master s Degree preferred.
- Minimum of ten (10) years progressive leadership experience in strategic communications and media relations.
- Proven track record working in a complex academic medical center or multi-hospital system environment preferred.
- Demonstrated success in serving as primary spokesperson for complex, dynamic organizations.
- Knowledge and experience with digital communications, social media, and content marketing. Broad understanding of, and willingness to stay abreast of, digital and traditional technologies, applications, and processes.
- Proven experience in the design and execution of communications, media and public relations strategies and tactics.
- Outstanding communication, public speaking, and advocacy skills.
- Ability to function exceptionally and lead teams through times of crisis.
- Demonstrated success in crafting a substantive and cohesive set of messages for an organization, which has been successfully communicated to key audiences and resulted in a measurable difference (e.g., elevated profile, broader visibility, increased funding, or donor support) to the organization.
- Ability to communicate complex information effectively in writing to all levels of staff, management, and external audiences. Adept at forming and maintaining external partnerships and networks.
- Excellent writing and editing abilities with extensive experience in all forms of corporate and executive communication, from corporate news releases to executive talking points.
- Ability to quickly distill complex concepts into interesting and digestible pieces.
- Ability to actively and thoughtfully listen to and incorporate ideas to influence strategy and shape content. Creative and skilled at identifying and seizing opportunities for an organization to reach key audiences.
- A proven ability to develop compelling, insight-based strategic proposals and present them effectively and persuasively.
- Experience pitching issues, business, and corporate stories to top-tier and trade media outlets.
- Evidence of ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams with cross-functional interdependencies.
- Track record of effectively leading a performance- and outcomes-based staff.
- Experience leading a team through change is a plus.
- Entrepreneurial spirit who thrives in a fast-paced, high performing, world-class organization.
- Proven ability to manage large projects.
- A detail-oriented approach and the ability to meet deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- Must be able to thrive in an environment where ambiguity and change are the only constants.
- Ability to negotiate via networking and build strong relationships in the interest of progressing the work is a must.