The Vice President, State Government Affairs & Relations develops, directs, executes and oversees the University's relationships with key interest and support groups at the state level, including state legislators, governors, other internal and external executives, and higher education associations and regulatory agencies on behalf of the University. The individual develops political and regulatory strategy, advocacy groups as appropriate to political and regulatory goals, and serves as a liaison to these entities to develop, build and maintain positive relationships and contracts with these entities. Additionally, the individual coordinates, as necessary, with the University's government affairs team at the Federal level.
• Thorough knowledge of business and the educational environment as normally obtained through the completion of a Master's degree in education, business administration, political science, or related field
• A thorough knowledge of public policy, political campaigns, public affairs and community outreach, as well extensive knowledge and experience in Government Relations, the legislative and regulatory process at the state level, and national and trade media outlets.
• Eight (8) years of progressively responsible experience in state government affairs and regulatory environments performing at an executive or policy level
• Doctorate in Education or a related field, including law
• Prior experience in the higher education industry
• Proven experience in academic regulatory activity and political environments, including familiarity with using electronic communication tools and techniques for grass roots activities
• Significant level of interpersonal and communication skills, and able to lead, communicate and persuade others, and interact effectively with others in difficult situations.
• Able to professionally and effectively deliver presentations to small and large groups
• Ability to effectively present research findings and recommendations to executive management
• Results oriented and able to manage several projects or tasks independently