Vice President – Senior Portfolio Manager
The Carlisle Group has been retained to seek a talented VP-Senior Portfolio Manager for our client's organization. Our client is seeking an experienced CFA to oversee their more than $7.5 Billion in invested assets. Our client is rated "A+" (Superior) by A.M. Best and is a multi-line property casualty insurance organization that offers property, liability, auto, workers compensations, umbrella, life and disability income insurance to its commercial insurance customers and specializes in business insurance and risk management services for select industries.
Reporting directly to the First Vice President - Director of Investments the selected individual will be responsible for the Fixed income investment policy for the Company. This involves managing the fixed income portfolio within the investment policy's objectives and constraints while providing work direction and technical guidance.
Basic Functions and Responsibilities:
- Supervises assigned personnel to maximize productivity, teamwork, and results. This includes providing work direction, determining staffing levels, hiring, managing performance, supporting training and development, succession planning, administering Company policies, and fostering positive employee relations.
- Develops both the fixed income investment parameters (risk and diversification goals of the overall portfolio) and investment guidelines (specific goals relating to credit and concentration risks) that adhere to the Company's Board approved Investment Policy.
- Serves as an expert in multiple asset classes. Provides direction and technical guidance to Portfolio Managers, Analysts and Accountants. Selects and invests funds in accordance with the investment policy, parameters and guidelines of the specific company.
- Responsible for establishing new relationships with brokerage community. Maintains active contact with knowledgeable security brokers who take the time and effort to understand our investment goals and objectives, and who can adequately supply us with the appropriate securities.
- Manage a $200 million diversified portfolio of multi-family apartments and office real estate located primarily in the Midwestern United States.
- Responsible for the management of a $250 million alternative investment portfolio consisting of surplus notes, venture capital and private equityinvestments.
- Leads enterprise risk management (ERM) strategy for the Investment Department. Identifies, assesses, and prepares for potential risks that may interfere with the department's operations and objectives.
- Monitors and rebalances fixed income portfolio in response to significant changes in the Company's business profile, or in response to changes in the economy that could significantly impact the portfolio holdings.
- Prepares quarterly portfolio analytical reports for presentation to the Director of Investments.
- Works with others to insure all holdings are filed with the NAIC's Service Valuation Office as required, and with the Actuarial department to determine that the portfolio's duration and maturity account for the Company's liability characteristics.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university in finance or other related studies. A Master's degreepreferred.
- A Certified Financial Analyst (CFA) designation required.
- Minimum of 10 years work experience in fixed income investing demonstrating strong knowledge of investment markets required.
- Experience working for a property casualty insurance organization.
- Must have a broad generalist background in varying investment strategies relating to fixed income, credit, and private placements.
- Ability to multi-task and analyze a variety of investment strategies.
- 3 to 5 years of managing the investment activities of others with demonstrated ability to foster and build a dynamic, team-oriented, results-driven environment of accountability and growth.
- Goal-oriented and possesses the ability to prioritize on a consistent basis in an ever-changing environment.
- Strong leadership orientation with superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with many cross-functional internal and external partners.
- Collaborative problem-solving skills and a natural investigative mind set.
- Ability to think conceptually and strategically, while maintaining a results-driven approach.
- Unquestionable integrity and the ability to handle sensitive issues.
- Demonstrate a high degree of financial acumen.
- Demonstrated experience implementing "best-in-class" investment strategies with positive growth results.