We are seeking an experienced Vice President, Sales for its Renal portfolio, and will report directly to the Chief Commercial Officer. The Vice President, Sales is a key member of the Commercial Leadership team. This position will work closely with and maintain an effective, collaborative relationship with all internal stakeholders, including Marketing, Medical Affairs, Commercial Operations and Analytics, Government Affairs, and Market Access to drive brand strategies and tactics for success, as well as successfully drive business objectives and ensure patient access to Akebia’s therapies.
The Vice President, Sales will lead a highly effective commercial sales force and provide strategic vision in managing all aspects of the sales function. The incumbent will lead the efforts to create and drive our sales strategy, including hiring, training, launch execution, resource planning and allocation, data analysis and application, overall performance management of the sales force and effective collaboration across functions to meet the business needs. We are searching for an individual who has demonstrated the ability to lead, inspire and motivate a sales organization and consistently deliver results.
- Builds current and future competitive advantages by understanding and addressing customer needs and demonstrating a deep understanding of competitors' strategies
- Fosters a leadership culture, which attracts, develops and retains high caliber candidates, fosters a culture of diversity, innovation and teamwork that will drive the future success of the organization
- Develops and executes a comprehensive selling model, sales strategy, and national business plan to support the short and long-term revenue objectives.
- Directs sales forecasting activities and manage US Sales budget
- Analyzes both National and Regional trends; develop and implement strategies that align with a changing marketplace
- Effectively manages the Sales Training & Development Team; this function is responsible for new hire sales training, ongoing sales training, developing workshops and training content for sales meetings, and creating development opportunities for sales representatives and managers
- Partners with commercial counterparts as well as other functional leaders to effectively align sales objectives with brand and company goals.
- Coordinates and partners with Market Access to ensure the coordination of efforts and priorities between the payer and sales groups.
- Effectively communicates strategic direction to the field and fosters a culture of personal accountability for owning one’s territory/region/area.
- Ensures Sales teams have optimal organizational structure, process, and communication. In partnership with the Area Sales Director(s) leads and develops sales directors and effectively manages succession planning
- Works closely with all cross functional groups, providing input representing the field and ensuring any follow-on execution of sales program implementation.
- Understands and utilizes business analytics effectively assessing and diagnosing trends and behaviors to develop plans that support strategic sales objectives.
- Develops incentive compensation plans that drive performance and effective behaviors.
- Manages and adheres to all company policies and legal, compliance and regulatory guidelines.
- Bachelor’s degree and 12+ years of successful experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry.
- Minimum of three to five years’ experience in a senior sales management position(s).
- Proven ability to lead a US commercial organization and manage cross-functional teams, with demonstrated success in developing commercialization strategies and managing a P&L
- Broad cross-functional experience in additional functional areas such as marketing, market access, sales training, and operations and analytics required.
- Demonstrated abilities to attract, develop and retain talent and a motivational leadership style that inspires others
- Experience providing inspirational, large team leadership seasoned in managing and developing individuals and teams.
- Product launch experience, having successfully launched key products/brands and consistently achieving sales growth and market share objectives
- Well established commitment to and proven track record of successful customer interaction and orientation toward customer success.
- Experience in developing and managing budgets.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with the ability to communicate effectively in a clear and organized manner with all levels of the Company.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 60% of the time.