The Vice President of Research and Development heads the global efforts of product innovation for Teleflex's Surgical business. Products include ligation (manual/automatic), facial closure, percutaneous instruments, instruments (ENT, CVT and General), chest drainage, suture, stapling, cholangiography etc.. Innovation includes internally designed devices, targeted selection / integration of external innovators and design / cost improvement of current devices. As a member of the BU leadership team, this role has an ongoing active role to ensure the vision and strategies for the business are shared in clear and inspiring ways to all members of the R&D team. This position also is a positive embassador of the LT across the BU and across all of Teleflex.
Through engineering expertise, clarity of vision and strategy and authentic people leadership, this role ensures that R&D leaders and engineers work within a culture of innovation and collaboration. Further, in close partnerships across the organization, the VP R&D will support the team that deliver device design and creation that continue to meet current needs of clinicians, as well as exceed expectations through solving unmet clinician needs. At the core, this role inspires technical staff to innovate, and leaders across the business to partner with technical staff. The role also drives accountability through successful partnerships with Marketing on devices that meet clinician needs, with Project Management on gating devices throughout gating, with Regulatory Affairs on compliance, and with Quality Engineering and Operations to ensure smooth connection to manufacturing. From new product development, to device function / cost improvement and sustainability, this role provides the leadership needed to achieve these broad goals.
- Attract, retain and grow top-tier Engineering managerial and technical staff using exceptional leadership skills, while closely following Teleflex's key talent development programs. Ensure close partnership with Human Resources in all efforts related to talent management.
- Embody and expect all R&D staff to deliver "Exceptional Everyday" customer key drivers – CARE (Connect personally; Anticipate needs; Resolve quickly; Exceed expectations)
- Support the R&D elements of annual and long-term strategic plans per product category that collectively make up the BU's five-year strategic business plan.
- Through Engineering managers and team members, drive the planning, investigation, evaluation, selection, direction and control of scientific research and technological development projects that meet return-on-investment objectives.
- Direct subordinates to ensure new product development and applicable sustaining engineering projects are completed successfully to the committed schedule, product specifications and budgets established for the projects. Assure close partnerhip with the project management office and all involved teams (Marketing, Regulatory, Quality Enginnering, etc.)
- Coordinates the transfer and provides technical assistance in the introduction of new products and processes into manufacturing operations.
- Prepares and proposes research and development programs and budgets in cooperation with BU directors of Marketing and administers these within the limits of approved budgets and appropriations.
- Coordinate transfer of information and/or technical assistance in the introduction of new products and processes into manufacturing operations.
- Maintain contact with government agencies and scientific programs to determine feasibility of conducting contract research; aid in submission of proposals and provides technical manpower and facilities for such contract work if granted.
- Provide technical support and assistance to Manufacturing sites for Sustaining Engineering projects supporting existing product base.
- Implement various activities designed to promote Teleflex's culture and strive for continuous improvements.
- Closely partner with Regulatory Affairs in offering all necessary data / input for regulatory submissions for 510(k)'s and CE Technical Files.
- Plan, organize and direct comprehensive programs for global BU R&D projects.
Principal Responsibilities Long Description
- Generate and evaluate alternatives, analyze data, reach logical conclusions, formulate recommendations, and institute effective changes.
- Establish and maintain effective outside-BU internal and external working relationships, including those with other BU R&D leaders, broader Teleflex senior management, vendors, customers and other staff of the departments and branches.
- Leverage interpersonal strengths and talent management programs to inspire all members of R&D staff. Possess and apply strong interpersonal communications from one-on-ones with management, to consistent positive interactions with all individual contributors on R&D staff, to small and large-group presentations. Ensure open and active dialogue within and without the R&D team.
- Assess R&D skills to align to appropriate workstreams. Identify gaps and determine whether additional training is appropriate or skill should be recruited or contracted for.
Education / Experience Requirements
- A baccalaureate degree in biomedical or mechanical engineering is required. A master's degree in these fields is preferred; a PhD is a plus. Degrees in electrical engineering may be considered if medical device experience or emphasis is also evident.
- Prior medical device Engineering experience is a must. Experience level would be anticipated to be 15-20 years of overall Engineering experience, with progressively responsible, professional and successful innovation as noted above. Of those years of overall experience, ten would be anticipated to have been in Engineering management, and five or more would be expected to be in a director- or VP-level Engineering role.
- Concerning prior medical device experience, previous experience with market-leading, innovative single patient use, disposable products is expected. Prior direct experience in airway, emergency medicine and pain management products is strongly preferred, but other innovative medical device Engineering leadership may be considered.
- Experience working with external development firms.
- General and business economics and administration, as well as the special techniques for the planning, direction, and control of scientific and technical work. Proven track record of attracting, developing, motivating, and retaining world class R&D talent
- Demonstrated successful history of inspiring and visionary leadership to engineers and technical managers.
- Preparation, analysis, and interpretation of forecasts, technical feasibility studies, process and product evaluations, appropriations, and budgets.
- Office practices including full Microsoft Suite. Other areas of skill in engineering may include
- Basic research methods and elements of report writing; basic statistical
Specialized Skills / Other Requirements
- Experience and knowledge in working with international regulatory requirements and policies
- Excellent communication skills, to include verbal, written and presentation skills
- Excellent medical acumen
- Knowledge of financial principles and demonstrated experience managing department budgets
- Experience leveraging internal clinical & medical affairs teams, scientific advisory boards and/or key opinion leaders for strategic business success.
- Knows basic safe handling techniques and procedures for bio-hazardous materials.
- Renders technical aid and assistance to Sales and Marketing personnel as required.
- Supports complaint investigations as required with Customer Advocate group.
- Enhances growth and development through participation in education programs, current literature, training meetings and workshops.
- Participates actively in continuous quality improvement activities through compliance with safety standards.
- Demonstrates professional responsibilities by cooperating with other personnel to achieve department objectives and maintain good employee relations, interdepartmental objectives, and departmental goals and objectives.
- Maintains compliance with principles of accepted employee conduct as identified by Teleflex Medical and as specified within individual departmental policies and procedures as applicable.