The VP Operations manages the functional areas of Global Manufacturing (San Diego, CA; Tijuana, Mexico; Kelberg, Germany; and Israel), Process Engineering, Facilities Management, EH&S (Environmental Health and Safety) and Operations Program Managememt, local Procurement & Supply Management Materials Planning, and Global Inventory Management.
The VP Operations is a critical member of the WW Operations and Business Unit leadership team. Reporting dually to the VP EMI Cluster and WW President for Medication Management, he/she will work closely with peers in Quality, Regulatory, R&D, Finance, HR, Med Affairs, Marketing and commercial organizations. The VP Operations is expected to be a sparring partner for the business and the leadership team and to actively contribute to the broader success of the Business Unit strategy. He/ she is also expected to effectively work with the regional organizations in executing on this strategy.
Duties / Accountabilities:
- Integrates a number of broad operational processes, each focused on providing customer service, with overall responsibility for the direction of assigned groups. These key processes include Customer Order Fulfillment, Materials Management, Manufacturing, Quality Control, Engineering, Project Management, Business Process and Facilities Management.
- Responsible for ensuring operational excellence in functional areas: e.g., Demand Management, Supply Planning and Scheduling, Inventory Purchases, Stockroom/Inventory Management, Manufacturing, Quality QC&QA, Engineering, Safety, and Project Management. Position works closely with other BD Functional Leaders to develop both short and long term strategies.
- Develops and maintains an organizational design that is aligned with the achievement of overall business objectives and is responsive to customer needs. Creates an environment that is oriented to exceeding customer expectations with particular emphasis on quality and service.
- Demonstrates effective business leadership as part of the BD Leadership team and participates as a BD Worldwide Team member. Also serves as a member of ISCOC – Integrated Supply Chain Operating Committee and directly or through a delegate on the GSC – Global Supply Chain Council.
- Influences and approves the development of budgets and product/service cost goals for all activities within Logistics, Manufacturing Operations, Facilities, Supply Chain, Business Process and Safety. Monitors and controls budgets through the plan periods to ensure that goals are met and variances are controlled.
- Responsible to develop and oversee the execution of the capital budget for BD.
- Ensures that worldwide regulatory compliance for services and manufactured products is achieved, in order to maintain and enhance competitive advantage.
- Develops strategic operating plans and responds to changing business conditions, with an emphasis on customer satisfaction through continuous process improvement. Defines Operational Strategy including a review and plan for architecture and footprint that is aligned with the regional needs. Identifies and communicates key indicators of performance, results achieved and plans for improvement.
- Directs the development of the manufacturing build plan and associated supply chain management activities to support the achievement of the sales plan at or below planned costs.
- Establishes and maintains long-term cooperative relationships with key suppliers.
- Ensures application of manufacturing and customer supportprocesses and equipment necessary to achieve goals for quality, customer service cost and capacity.
- Committed to the implementation and use of BD tools and processes including Lean, Category Management, Six Sigma, Validation, and SAP.
- Collaborates with other functions to ensure that multi-functional plans and goals are developed. Measures and communicates progress to ensure that the desired results are achieved.
- Carries out Human Resource management responsibilities such as hiring, job assignments, terminations, transfers, promotion, salary actions, and performance reviews in a high quality, timely manner.
- Exercises responsibility for associate learning and development, motivation, recognition and reward. Builds strong diverse teams that demonstrate BD Values and strive for continuous improvement. Has a track record of developing talent and preparing them for broader roles in the company.
- Implements Affirmative Action Plan as it applies to Operations function. Monitors performance and relationships among associates supervised to prevent discriminatory acts or comments, and encourages diversity.
- Demonstrates an understanding of key US and foreign regulations affecting the business and assures compliance with those regulations. May recommend changes to practices and procedures to ensure compliance with the regulations. Demonstrates through actions and communicates the critical importance of regulatory compliance to Operations associates.
- Works closely with the regions to ensure product supply requirements are met and growth strategies are understood
- Establishes and monitors safety goals and objectives. Supports Corporate and Business Safety policies and procedures through communication with associates. Ensures implementation of a robust Environmental, Health and Safety (EH&S) program.
BD is looking for Operations leaders who bring along a proven track record in driving the development and delivery of efficient and effective operations organizations. He/she has experience operating in a regulated life sciences and technically complex product environment. The ability to act effectively in a complex, global organization, where skills of influence are equally as important as those of leadership is particularly important. The VP Operations position at BD requires an executive who is able to drive change and shape the future.
The successful candidate will be a senior Operations leader from a global life sciences (or other relevant industry) background, who has built best-in-class operations organizations. This includes a strong track record in delivering innovative initiatives in operational excellence, cost reductions and driving supply chain evolution. He/she has shown the ability to deliver results in larger matrix organizations and has acted across the full range of value chain activities; given the breadth of this end-to-end Operations role, a suitable candidate will need to have deep functional skills and master the different sub-functional areas in an integrated supply chain and operations environment. Required experience includes:
- 10+ years of progressive manufacturing leadership experience in a high volume low mix manufacturing environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Having acquired experiences in both process manufacturing and discrete manufacturing environments would be a significant advantage.
- Broad business knowledge of Manufacturing, Engineering, Customer Service, Human Resources, Environmental, Health, and Safety, Finance, Materials Management, Facilities, Project Management, Quality Systems, and ISO.
- Working knowledge of Operations, especially pertaining to customer expectations for service support and order fulfillment, both internal and external to the business.
- Working knowledge of Lean and Six Sigma methodologies. Lean/Six Sigma Certification preferred.
- Thorough understanding of MRP II and ERP systems. Knowledge of FDA Regulations and ISO is strongly desired. Must have working knowledge of SAP.
- Effective in developing and setting operational goals and metrics. Effective organization and planning skills.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in providing functional and business leadership. Effective interpersonal and collaboration skills and demonstrated ability to lead and manage a diverse, global workforce.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound decisions while coordinating multiple project, programs, variables and priorities. Requires strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Effective communications up/down and across the organization.
- Proven execution expertise.
- Must have influence skills to work across all levels of BD to gain support and drive team results.
Job ID R-316868