atai Life Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing innovative treatments and processes to treat mental health disorders for everyone, everywhere. We operate a decentralized model whereby atai incubates, acquires, and supports individual platform companies by providing them strategic and operational functions centrally, allowing our platform companies to stay lean and agile in their clinical pursuits, whilst also being able to leverage the expertise of a multibillion-dollar global biotechnology company. Atai is pursuing a world-first strategy to deploy our clinical compounds alongside a clinically validated digital ecosystem which aims utilizes cutting edge technology, clinical protocol, human-interaction psychology, and data science to enhance the clinical efficacy and engagement of our compounds.
- A fast-paced environment where you’ll work on a wide range of topics
- Be a major contributor to the success of a well-positioned, publicly traded, rapidly growing biotech company
- Become part of creating a radically new and impactful paradigm shift in drug development and patient care
- An open, results-driven, and meritocratic start-up culture
- To work from where you want when you want, and with the device and equipment you choose
- The opportunity to participate in the company's success via an option plan
Who you are:
- You have a demonstrated ability to attend to multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment without losing focus of the larger goal.
- You thrive in a global, dynamic, highly complex environment. You are comfortable working with a global team across time zones, different cultures, and various local rules and regulations.
- You have strong analytical and organizational skills to set strategy and translate strategy into tactics.
- You overcome obstacles collaboratively while respecting others’ points of view, and you empower your team to be creative and resourceful.
- You strive to be a thought-leader in your area of expertise. You are always learning and are always well informed on the state-of-the-art in your discipline.
- You are internally motivated to implement best practices in a continuous cycle of improvement.
- You can inspire, coach and lead project teams to meet project deadlines.
- Responsible for the timely filing and technical review of all U.S. federal, state, and local income tax returns, and sales tax returns; and ensuring that all international entity tax compliance is completed and filed timely.
- Manage all U.S. income tax audits with the IRS or state agencies including analysis of issues, responses, presentation of company position, and negotiations to arrive at an acceptable settlement.
- Oversee and assure compliance with all X-US tax return obligations and tax payments
- Oversee transfer pricing from tax perspective including tax provisions of MSA’s between atai entities
- VAT structure and compliance responsibilities
- Responsible for appropriate accounting for income taxes with both domestic and international operations.
- Involved in the calculations and analysis of the overall deferred tax position of the organization valuation allowance and effective tax rate.
- Establish and maintain all tax accounting methods.
- Prepare and collaborate with Finance and Accounting group to ensure completeness and accuracy of income tax disclosures and help establish and ensure appropriate controls over accounting for income taxes.
- Draft income tax disclosures for public filings.
- Manage general ledger tax account analyses including current/deferred tax, property, and sales tax accounts.
- Establish documents and maintain process flows and the applicable internal controls as required by Sarbanes Oxley 404 for tax financial reporting and income tax accounts.
- Evaluate corporate organizational structure, business transactions, and new initiatives. Recommend actions to optimize tax structures.
- Manage the tax aspects of acquisitions and dispositions.
- Establish and maintain tax risk management policies.
- Communicate significant tax matters to senior management, including the Audit Committee.
- Monitor proposed federal and state legislation and communicate key tax issues to senior management. Research federal, state, sales, use and property tax issues as required.
- Maintain and update internal reporting processes used to organize financial data from the general ledger and accounting systems into formats required for completing foreign and domestic income tax provisions and tax returns.
- Ensure appropriate level of staffing, skill sets and training/professional development. Manage department budget.
- Minimum of 15 years of leadership experience in corporate tax
- Must have a strong understanding and working knowledge of U.S. corporate tax law, and international tax laws by jurisdiction
- Requires strong skills in strategic planning, decision making, analysis, and use of judgment
- Requires strong negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Requires the ability to teach, coach, and develop staff
- Must be able to work with all levels of management, staff, consultants, attorneys, and taxing authorities
- Significant exposure to all the essential functions of the position
- Must have strong business and common sense in evaluation of tax planning opportunities
- Demonstrated track record of success with prior positions reflecting increasing responsibility
- A combination of public accounting (Big 4) and previous global manufacturing industry experience preferred
- In words and actions always working transparently and communicating clearly with the view of what’s best for the atai employees and shareholders.
- Strategic Agility. Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; can articulately create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans.
- Financial Acumen. Strong financial tax analysis skills and the ability to convert analysis into tactical actions and recommendations.
- Judgment/Continuous Improvement. Ability to demonstrate sound business judgment with a keen eye for continuous innovation and improvement.
- Leadership and Team Building. Able to motivate and inspire a diverse group of employees and stakeholders by translating corporate tax objectives into something meaningful and tangible.
- Driving for Results. Ability to thrive in a very high growth, entrepreneurial atmosphere and achieve results by understanding and managing the key levers of the business.
- Communication and Influence. Must communicate confidently with people at all levels of the organization. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, capturing and expressing reasoning behind recommendations and assumptions. Successfully lead consensus building at all levels.