The Vice President of Nursing has the authority and responsibility for Nursing and designated patient care services, is accountable for the clinical practice of nursing (Chief Nurse Executive) within the entity operations, ensures the development, implementation, and evaluation of policies, programs, and services consistent with the mission, philosophy, goals and objectives of the SSM Health Care System.
Reports to: President of St. Mary's Hospital, Indirect reporting to Regional Vice President, Nursing CNO
Supervises: Nursing Directors and Clinical Staff
Interrelationships: Interacts with entity, regional and system personnel; entity presidents; other system local entity Presidents; hospital board and other local groups; local and regional medical staff members; employees and a variety of other publics.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Mission, Values and Standards of Ethical Conduct
- Demonstrates and imparts the mission, philosophy, values and vision of SSM Health Care in daily activities and provides leadership to respective departments, programs and services and is accountable to the Regional Vice President of Nursing for the effective operation of same.
- Works effectively as a team member in a dynamic executive environment where collegiality, subsidiary and sharing responsibility is required and highly valued within a matrix organization. Promotes teamwork within and across the network by maintaining positive and productive intra-entity and intradepartmental relationships and utilizing effective problem solving skills.
- Adheres to the SSM Health Care Standards of Ethical Conduct, displaying, as applicable, ethical behavior in the areas of business ethics, legal compliance, confidentiality, conflicts of interest, vendor relationships and the reporting of questionable activities.
- Customer Relations
- Maintains close liaison with the Chief of Medical Staff on a formal and informal basis; communicates physician related problems to the Vice President of Medical Affairs; attends Medical Staff meetings as needed.
- Advises the Regional Vice President of Nursing on problems related to the operation of the nursing areas.
- Assures premier customer satisfaction. Implements mechanisms and feedback processed to determine customer satisfaction levels.
- Identifies, develops, implements and promotes patient services to consumers and other health care providers.
- Strategic Planning
- Participates in strategic planning for the facilities, working with the Regional Planning Staff and other administrative personnel.
- Establishes yearly goals and assists departmental managers in establishing annual goals, reviews progress towards goals quarterly.
- Plans for, implements and evaluates Network initiatives for patient care in conjunction with Network team members.
- Assumes fiscal responsibility through budgetary planning and implementation.
- Performance Improvement
- Incorporates CQI principles into daily activities focusing on process improvements, patient safety and premier patient satisfaction.
- Initiates, develops and supports organizational processes and systems that ensure the effective and efficient delivery of patient care.
- Establishes standards of patient care and mechanisms for review and evaluation of care rendered; reviews performance improvement plans and progress quarterly; makes recommendations regarding proposed actions to be taken to improve the quality of care.
- Promotes the development of institutional education and research policies and programs.
- Human Resources
- Responsible for the oversight of effective human resource management for the assigned departments and teams.
- Ensures human resource policies are enforced and administered consistently without favoritism or discriminatory influence.
- Assures engagement, satisfaction and alignment of employees, physicians and executives to assure effective implementation of strategic and operational plans within the assigned entity.
- Utilizes timely and effective means of informing and updating staff on organizational, system-wide and industry issues. Provides opportunity for staff input and encourages staff feedback regarding improvement opportunities.
- Facilitates an environment that promotes team building and collaboration. Motivates, encourages and empowers staff to achieve personal, team, departmental and organizational goals. Recognizes individual and team accomplishments.
- Mentors leaders and management in career growth and actively cooperates in succession planning efforts at the System level with special emphasis on retaining and recruiting a diverse work force while supporting diversity initiatives and goals.
- Knowledge and Application of Policies and Regulatory/Accreditation Requirements
- Assures that nursing care objectives, policies and procedures are established with nursing ethics and standards of care and practice.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures that address hospital and service line functions with review and revision as needed.
- Maintains knowledge and achieves compliance with federal, state and local regulatory requirements, licensure, accreditation requirements, record procedures and internal controls.
- Information Management
- Develops and assure compliance of confidentiality policies and procedures.
- Utilizes information to support timely and effective decision-making processes.
- Position Specific Accountabilities
- Collaborates and partners with physicians, hospital executives and network executives to implement effective business plans.
- Implements and assures adherence to policy decisions of SSM Health Care.
- Effectively communicates at all levels within the organization including but not limited to employees, physicians, Franciscan Sisters of Mary, advisory board members, Regional Vice President of Nursing, Vice President of Operations and Vice President – Medical Affairs.
- Develops and enhances relationships with community, other publics, organizations and groups that expand the effectiveness of the mission.
- Participates in developing regional policies, procedures and directives as requested and communicates appropriately to ensure compliance is achieved.
- Effectively collaborates with regional support functions of nursing, finance, planning, quality and human resources to achieve successful outcomes for the hospitals, service lines, network and system.
- Assures that nursing care objectives, policies and procedures are established consistent with nursing ethics and standards of care and practice; assures consistency with the medical staff.
- Creates an organizational framework that optimizes the delivery of patient care and the development of excellence within health care workers.
- Participates in a multidisciplinary palliative care team.
- Masters Degree, Graduate from an Accredited School of Nursing
- Current registration in the State of Missouri
- Three to Five years experience as an accomplished senior healthcare executive within a large healthcare institution.
- Professional affiliations preferred include American Organization Nurse Executives (AONE), Missouri Organization Nurse Executives (MONE), American College Health Care Executives (ACHE) and CHA.