Design Automation Associates (DAA) is seeking a Vice President of Marketing to add to our team in Windsor Locks, Connecticut. We are ... Engineers Helping Engineers! For more than 20 years, Design Automation Associates has specialized in providing automation solutions for difficult engineering problems. Utilizing the latest technology, our team of engineers work on diverse engineering solutions spanning many industries and markets.
The ideal candidate is an expert in customer marketing, professional services marketing, product marketing, market research, and strategic planning. Candidate will have 15+ years of proven success fully integrating those functions to achieve revenue growth goals. This is an executive position ultimately responsible for implementing a fully-integrated marketing strategy in support of achieving DAA's annual revenue objectives - and directly and indirectly managing the associated marketing staff and functions to achieve the plans. This role and its team have a domestic and international focus.
The candidate should thrive when working with people and be open to a highly interactive relationship with the President & CEO, managing in an unstructured environment, leading groups to solve difficult and ambiguous problems, and must embrace eclectic personalities.
The candidate will need to provide strong skills covering leadership, management, and development of Marketing staff. Critical to success will be a willingness to learn, strong interpersonal skills, and an ability to set an example of dedication and cooperation – along with encouraging team members to do the same.
This is a new role at DAA so flexibility in terms of developing the details of the role with VP of Sales & Business Development is important as the position develops.
Provide leadership and/or support to design, develop, and implement a marketing strategy in support of DAA's product and service lines.
Create an institutional and system-wide marketing reporting function that can track, measure and analyze performance.
Ensure all marketing communications are coordinated, support marketing plan objectives and are an effective expenditure of resources.
Evolve the marketing efforts for our current offerings into a cohesive marketing strategy that increases leads and realized revenue.
Partner with VP Sales & BD and VP Engineering & Consulting to develop the go-to-market strategy for our future solutions.
Collaborate with Sales & BD to develop and manage our trade show and event calendar, select appropriate industry events, track / manage participation levels to measure and evaluate success.
Develop and execute channel marketing initiatives that will further awareness of our solutions and increase the selling opportunities from our channel.
Assist leadership with product and services feature prioritization through competitive analysis and analyzing data from multiple other sources.
Establish clear, analytical goals for the marketing department in close collaboration with our sales and finance departments. Direct implementation and execution of marketing and service policies and practices.
Specific responsibilities include market development; market research and planning; strategic direction for promotion and advertising; coordination with Sales & Business Development; and hiring and directing the day-to-day activities of marketing staff.
Distribution Planning: Develop and Implement 1 and 3 Year Plans by 10/01 of Each Year (50% of time):
Assess prior period results vs. plan, including:
- Bookings: existing and new client revenue vs. goal.
- Marketing: success of lead generation events, digital marketing, presentations, new messaging, etc.
- Product: sales and earnings by product/service line.
- Pricing: profit margin achieved vs. plan.
- Competitive Actions & Analysis: new products/services, business model, client wins/losses, marketing and sales campaigns.
- Client / Industry Needs: feedback on DAA performance, new opportunities to grow.
- Segment view: All results segregated by A&D, Energy, Consumer Products, Automotive, and new markets.
- Market research
Use knowledge from prior period assessment, develop and manage plan to support Sales to meet booking goals over 1 and 3 year periods:
- Bookings Support: identify new prospects / lists and new service offerings, improve quote format / e-presentation to meet to and exceed revenue goals across all customer segments 1) strategic accounts; 2) existing customers; 3) new customers by working closely with Sales & Business Development Team.
- Marketing: create lead generation actions to support booking activity – events, campaigns, case studies, etc.
- Product: develop new features and services to sell client-specific solutions and standard products.
- Pricing: identify margin required to meet bookings and financial goals.
- Distribution operations: Work with Sales & BD to support training, sales comp, RFPs, contract process, HR, and other actions to meet revenue goals.
- Management process: establish weekly meetings to review balanced scorecard which assesses plan progress and take corrective actions when needed.
- Vertical industry view: All plans segregated by A&D, Energy, Consumer Products, Automotive, and new markets.
Lead Actions to Achieve Plan (45% of time)
- Customer Marketing- help DAA communicate, both internally and externally, our ability to connect our customers' greatest needs and challenges to DAA's greatest capabilities and solutions, by segment and industry, resulting in a world-class customer experience for our customers and strategic revenue growth for DAA.
- Lead generation: development of communication materials (digital and paper), events, case studies, websites, etc.
- New market entry: develop business cases for entering new industries and geographies.
- Develop the annual marketing plan and the strategies, tactics and resources necessary to achieve system and goals.
- Transform our website from an information repository into a powerful selling tool that generates leads.
- Development and distribution of all marketing collateral.
Support Sales & Business Development
- Relationship management: Attend networking events and training seminars. Expand and identify current and new business projects by strengthening client relationships.
- Sales enablement- ensure that sales tools, competitive matrices, white papers, brochures and collateral are up to date and easy to share both physically and electronically.
- Customer experience & satisfaction- Monitor client expectations on scope and delivery. Ensure quality of engagement team's work.
- Process improvements: Sales quotation process within SFDC, contract and RFP process, and other improvements defined by planning process.
- Provide leadership support in the business development of joint ventures, affiliations and partnership arrangements.
People Leadership & Management
- Performance – annual goals, recruiting, input on raises, team building, and ensuring adherence to policies.
- Training – quarterly update to team on new services and approaches.
- Client-specific solutions: participate in definition, approach, and build to ensue objectives and timelines are met.
- Standard products: define client needs, product design, build plan, and go-to-market approach.
Consultative and collaborative management with President/CEO (5% as requested by CEO. Will possibly grow over time)
- Collaborate on Distribution Strategy and Planning Committee which includes CEO, Managing Partner, and peers.
- Assessment of DAA strategic opportunities, plans, and company direction as requested by CEO.
- Participate in company financial reviews and planning (cash flow, A/R, etc.).
- Member of Performance Review committee.
- Ensure long term financial goals of managing partners are met.
- Input to DAA West decisions and other strategic initiatives.
Behaviors & Competencies Required
Leadership and People Management
- Provide guidance during difficult situations and when deadlines are in jeopardy.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in periodic high-pressure situations.
- Lead direct reports by example and apply a reasonable level of extra effort to meet hurdles.
- Create a harmonious and upbeat attitude within Consulting Services group.
- Push staff to improve performance and meet hurdles every year.
- Ability to assume a larger role over time.
- Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) industry experience is required.
- Strong customer service orientation & passion for execution.
- High standard and expectation of quality with attention to detail.
- Ensure DAA is always up to date with latest tools, technologies, and methodologies to meet customer needs.
- Maintain an open and interactive dialog and communication with DAA President, Managing Partner, and peers.
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Ability to present ideas and solutions in user-friendly language.
- Adept at reading, writing, and interpreting technical documentation & procedure manuals.
- Ability to work with eclectic personalities.
- Desire and ability to work within a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Analytical and Research Focused
- Ability to conduct research into hardware and software issues and products as required.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- A "can do" disposition - not afraid to put in extra effort when needed, and not afraid to expect that same of others.
- Flexible work habits.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Ability to work in a rapidly changing work environment and requirements.
- Can-do attitude to support Sales and other peer positions.
- Ability to balance longer-term development with short-term results.
- Strategic Thinking.
- Project & Financial Management.
- Organizational Skills & Teamwork Orientation.
- Problem Solving/Analysis.
- Presentation Skills
- Bachelor of Science in Business (Marketing, Management, Accounting, Finance, Operations)
- Master's in Business Administration (MBA) strongly preferred