Objective / Purpose / Summary:
As a member of the corporate leadership team, the Corporate Vice President of Human Resources is responsible for creating and maintaining a world-class HR strategy in order to establish a healthy culture and safe work environment, in support of the mission, core values, standards and goals established by the company.
Standards & Culture
Exhibit behaviors and genuine sentiments reflective of our Core Values and Standards.
Core Values: Teamwork, Integrity, Profitability, Enriching, Relentless
Image & Presence Standards: Bohemian. Our team is sophisticated and purposeful in their communication and body language.
- 50% Classical European, 35% Colorful Gypsy Lifestyle, 15% Funky California Free Spirit
Service Standards: Intuitive. Our team inspires the guest (and Grand Performer) experience with warmth and deliberate elegance.
- Greet, Undivided Attention, Enthusiastic Response, Smile, Thank You
- Listen, Empathize, Accept Responsibility, Do Something About it, Exceed Expectations, Recover Loyalty
Performance Standards: Extraordinary. Our team rises to outperform and consistently beat our best for even better.
- Be Engaged: Enthusiastically share knowledge, experience and talent with others. Get involved!
- Be Aligned: Collaborate effectively to accomplish goals and achieve results the Kessler way.
- Be Accountable: Have courage, accept responsibility for actions and/or inactions and expect others to do the same.
Areas of Responsibility / Tasks
Performance must reflect appropriate level of expertise and achievement of the desired results for the items listed below. In particular, the Corporate VP of HR will support and enforce the company culture that is founded on developing inspiring places, delivering intuitive service, and creating exuberant guests. The core tasks involve strategic HR planning, and overseeing all policies, procedures, and systems associated with attracting, developing, and retaining high-quality Grand Performers who flourish in our unique concept.
- Strategic Advisor / Cultural Ambassador
- Translate business priorities into company wide HR strategies, plans and actions
- Develop strategic initiatives and programs designed to support and enforce the mission and desired culture
- Develop appropriate HRbudgets to ensure proper alignment with business and cultural objectives
- Workforce Planning
- Advise on company policies and strategic operating decisions
- Monitor external and internal environments to assess trends, industry benchmarks and identify implications for the overall business strategy
- Monitor and plan for the needs of the business and proactively assist with staffing guidelines and development plans.
- Assess organizational readiness for growth to include; strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. Consider current state vs future Human Capital needs for openings, risk management, disaster recovery, etc.
- Legal and Administrative Compliance
- Monitor and enforce compliance with all federal, state, and local employment laws and regulatory requirements
- Monitor, update and enforce all company HR policies and practices
- Ensure timely response to all claims, court-issued documentation, and other reports requiring HR approval, action, or input
- Ensure accurate, up to date and complete records are kept for all compliance and personnel-related decisions and actions
- Employer Branding / Selection & Staffing
- Create templates, maintain and enforce up-to-date job descriptions, recruiting strategies, and staffing guides and policies
- Oversee recruitment strategy and lead recruiting support efforts for corporate and all properties; utilize various sources to assist in this process
- Recommend and maintain an organizational structure and staffing levels that accomplish company goals and objectives
- Oversee succession plans for corporate staff and property-level executive committees; monitor and support property-level succession and development plans
- Develop recruiting plans and resources for corporate needs and to assist the property level HRD’s
- Training and Development
- Oversee and monitor strategic training and organizational development plans; recommend and implement improvements and new programs as necessary
- Ensure property HR staff are properly trained in all major tasks, duties, and responsibilities
- Provide on-going development support for all corporate staff
- Develop or oversee development of program for testing and certification to assess effectiveness of training
- Performance Management
- Oversee and monitor the company-wide performance evaluation system; recommend and implement improvements as necessary, including a balanced scorecard system
- Evaluate the performance of all corporate HR staff and all property HR
- Directors and provide on-going performance improvement support
- Participate in the performance management of all senior corporate and property-level EC staff
- Counsel and advise corporate- and property-level management staff to respond effectively to HR-related complaints and concerns
- Monitor discipline, suspension, and termination documentation and procedures
- Review exit interviews with terminating employees; chart trends and develop solutions
- Compensation and Benefits
- Conduct annual wage and salary surveys for corporate staff to establish competitive compensation plans, including variable and incentive-based programs
- Oversee the development and administration of all employee benefits
- Oversee the administration and resolution of all workers’ compensationclaims
- Oversee the administration of unemployment insurance tax management, including all responses, appeals, and hearings
- Develop and implement employee incentive and recognition programs including bonus programs; recommend and implement improvements as necessary that provide return on investment, incent desired behavior and drive desired results
- Functional Efficiency and Effectiveness
- Develops and implements employee opinion surveys, evaluates results, and develops solutions
- Prepare monthly reports for all key HR efficiency and effectiveness indicators; chart trends and develop solutions
- Evaluate procedures and technology solutions to improve human resources data management
- Other duties as assigned
An inspiring leader selects the best possible candidate for each position, provides structure, direction, feedback, recognition and accountability; in addition to facilitating team processes, on-going training and delegation for the following Grand Performers within the culture and policies.
- HRGeneralist / Benefits Specialist
- Corporate Director of Training
- Corporate Director of Human Resources
- Property Level HR Directors
- Savannah Area VP of Human Resources
- Corporate Recruiting Manager
A team player must cultivate successful relationships with the following individuals to achieve alignment and support.
- Chief Operations Officer
- Chief Marketing and Revenue Officer
- Chief Financial Officer
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities (KSA) & Experience
To perform this role successfully, an individual must have experience achieving desired result(s) in their areas of responsibility. The requirements listed below are representative of observable behaviors and essential knowledge, skill, and abilities required of a successful incumbent within our culture.
- Experience in strategic planning and execution
- Experience in analyzing, drafting and implementing all major HR policies, procedures, and systems
- Knowledge and successful experience with employment related laws and ability to interpret and apply them through business processes.
- Knowledge and successful experience with Wage & Hour, DOL, EEOC, ERISA laws and how to ensure compliance through system applications & best practices.
- Strong communication skills, keen listener, sophisticated verbal and written skills.
- Emotionally intelligent, self-aware & solution oriented.
- Flexible. Able to cope with multiple/changing priorities and deadlines with a high degree of optimism, professionalism, and collaboration.
- Ability to build strong relationships with employees at all levels of the organization to inspire trust and communication
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to participate in and effectively facilitate group meetings
- Ability to serve as key change manager for location and company initiatives.
- Career Experience:
- Experience with employment related legal claims: best practices for prevention, handling (responding on behalf of employer), resolving - required
- Cultural Experience:
- Hospitality industry experience – preferred
- Luxury brand experience – preferred
- Similar size organization – preferred
- Fast paced / entrepreneurial / high change / growing company – required
Minimum Qualifications / Education / Certifications
- Bachelor's degree or related training equivalent - required
- Master’s degree - preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience in similar title and scope of responsibility - required
- Licenses / Certifications:
- Valid driver’s license – required
- Accredited HR related certification - required