Vice President of Global Supplier Management
What began in Nick Tacony’s basement as a post-war, start-up company 70 years ago has since grown into an internationally recognized global products company with 11 offices, 500+ employees, and, successful sales in over 100 countries. Now operating under experienced 3rd generation family leadership, the Tacony Corporation (“Tacony”) is ready to write its next chapter as a distributor, manufacturer, wholesaler, and, marketer of diverse and innovative products in the sewing, home floor care, and, commercial cleaning marketplace. For more information on Tacony and its range of retail and commercial product offerings, please visit tacony.com.
Piloting a new chapter of growth, Tacony is excited to announce its search for a Vice President of Global Supplier Management (“VP-GSM”). This key leadership position will focus on developing and maintaining Tacony’s long-standing relationships with global suppliers across all product lines while ensuring competitive cost management, and, leading a high-performing team of buyers. Tacony’s VP-GSM will also partner closely with Tacony’s product development team, ensuring that continued innovation and R&D efforts yield high-quality products that meet the dynamic needs and evolving expectations of retailers and consumer end-users.
Reporting directly to Tacony’s Chief Operating Officer, the ideal candidate will bring prior senior team leadership experience, proven supplier strategy and supplier management expertise, P&L ownership, and, exceptional team leadership skills. Tacony is seeking a strategic leader with growth-oriented mindset, an owner’s mentality, and, a passion for building relationships in a complex multi-channel CPG landscape. We welcome your application at csiapply.com.
- SENIOR OPERATIONS LEADERSHIP – Serve as a key member Tacony’s senior-level Global Operations Team. Partner with Tacony’s COO and executive leadership team on product procurement, supplier strategy, supplier relations, cost reduction efforts, quality assurance, and, the development of long-term goals to ensure customer-centric R&D and innovative product line growth. Partner closely and cross-functionally alongside executive colleagues while modeling Tacony’s core values and entrepreneurial leadership.
- GLOBAL SUPPLIER STRATEGY & EXECUTION – Serve as Tacony’s key liaison with its most critical suppliers and factories based in Japan and across Europe to foster strategic relationships that deliver cost reduction, supply assurance, quality improvement, and consumer-centric R&D and innovation. Develop procurement strategies by engaging cross-functional teams to understand consumer demand and market factors. Optimize total purchasing costs based on competitive research, manufacturing trend analysis, import logistics, currency rates, and, an understanding of international markets.
- PRICING, NEGOTIATION, & QUALITY ASSURANCE – Negotiate with Japanese and European suppliers to optimize win-win solutions for Tacony’s North American product distribution. Manage total costs while developing and leveraging vendor rebate programs. Prepare, negotiate, and, execute all multi-year contracts and vendor agreements. Develop, implement, and evaluate supplier performance based on key metrics as well as clear and consistent communication with all suppliers. Manage all quality concerns and track issues through resolution. Direct, evaluate, and, interpret all related purchasing analytics.
- GUIDE SUPPLIERS IN PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT – Manage product roadmap, track product trends, and guide suppliers with a consumer-centric vision consistent with Tacony’s engineering, R&D, and, product development input. Drive collaboration and serve as a liaison between suppliers and internal Tacony partners in marketing, product, sales, operations, and, finance. Align purchasing with sales projections to properly meet both short and long-term goals and product demand.
- TEAM LEADERSHIP & EMPLOYEE DEVELOPMENT – Inspire, motivate, evaluate, and develop team of experienced buyers. Foster a culture of accountability, continuous improvement, professional development, and, cultural sensitivity. Measure performance and provide meaningful feedback. Resolve issues by communicating and partnering with the appropriate internal resources to meet customer needs and to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Minimum of 10+ years progressive experience in international purchasing, procurement and supplier relations, ideally in European and Japanese markets.
- Fluency in Japanese is highly desired, but not required. Multi-lingual a plus.
- Prior leadership experience on senior management team and/or as a leader of a procurement division within larger organization.
- Demonstrated success in negotiating win-win supplier agreements, prioritizing cost-containment and evidencing long-term relationships.
- Experience in product development and related marketing initiatives.
- Prior experience in managing international sales and distribution a plus.
- Strong financial acumen, including prior P&L management experience.
- 4-year degree required; MBA and/or related graduate degree strongly preferred.
- Willingness to travel internationally (30-50%). Travel includes international visits to supplier locations, factories, and, production sites.
Other Skills & Abilities include:
- Must excel in entrepreneurial environment with an appreciation for family values.
- Proven experience in developing relationships across diverse cultures and organizations as well as across all levels within an organization is key.
- Well-honed negotiation skills and strong business acumen required.
- Customer-service oriented with a high level of integrity and character.
- Strong interpersonal skills, good listening, and coaching skills desired.
- A collaborative, yet, competitive and resilient attitude with a strong work ethic is desired.
- Solid strategic planning, organizational, and project management skills with the ability to multi-task and assimilate new information quickly.
- Solid technology skills, including a proficiency with Salesforce, MS Excel, Word, Project and PowerPoint.
- A personable, approachable, and, hands-on leadership style, coupled with a good sense of humor, is a must.
- Please do not contact Tacony directly as this is a retained search. Candidates from contingent recruiters will not be considered.
This position must be based in St. Louis, Missouri. Relocation is expected upon hire and a relocation stipend is available.
International travel will be required several times a year to meet with and to develop relationships with Tacony’s strategic suppliers in both Europe and Japan.
Joining the company means joining our family! Tacony is proud to have been recognized as a great place to work. Compensation for this position includes a base salary with bonus based on annual goals. Tacony offer an excellent benefits package, including health, dental, vision, life, STD, LTD, and AD&D insurance along with retirement, profit-sharing, and PTO programs.