Marcus Hotels & Resorts is seeking an entrepreneurial leader to assume the role of Vice President, Food and Beverage. This individual must be a passionate, hands-on service and brand champion who lives to delight, please and exceed expectations.
A division of The Marcus Corporation, Marcus Hotels & Resorts has a rich history of operational and service excellence. We are “People Pleasing People” who strive daily to create extraordinary experiences for guests and associates alike. Focused on expanding our U.S. based portfolio of 19 hotels and resorts our properties and their upscale food and beverage offerings are well known for their character and style. Our approach to food and beverage is different from the average hotel or resort operator. It is our passion as evidenced by the more than 50 unique and successful food and beverage outlets we operate, including the spy and espionage themed SafeHouse Restaurants in Milwaukee and Chicago.
Reporting directly to our Senior Vice President of Operations, the Vice President, Food and Beverage is responsible for providing support and strategic direction to the overall food and beverage function of our hotels, resorts and restaurants. Duties include the development and implementation of models for operational excellence and profit maximization. Additionally, this role partners at a strategic and operational level with marketing, restaurant and hotel associates to expand brand awareness and reputation while driving revenues and market penetration. This position will also partner with organizational leadership to determine growth strategies for the SafeHouse Restaurants brand.
Based in Milwaukee, this leader will need to “roll up their sleeves” and immerse themselves in attacking every opportunity to improve service, develop distinction and create a road map for future success.
Additional Essential Functions Include:
- Provide the necessary leadership to drive food and beverage results and attain strategic milestones while improving the financial performance at department and property levels as well as across the broader organization
- Manage and drive change via divisional, property and outlet business development programming
- Own oversight of food and beverage concepts to include; design, branding, physical layouts, proposed capital expenditures and initiative development/deployment
- Develop inter-departmental relationships to ensure areas of oversight receive the necessary attention and focus from key partners and stakeholders
- Work in conjunction with Corporate Marketing, Sales and Catering to help develop universal marketing materials for food and beverage promotions.
- Maintain and strengthen vendor relationships; partnering with vendors to grow food and beverage revenue while ensuring relationships remain positive, productive and profitable
- Review budgets and financials; monitor P&L drivers and overhead for opportunities, take corrective action when needed
- Create a vision and strategic growth plan for SafeHouse Restaurants that aligns with the company’s overall objectives.
- Research and make recommendations on potential new markets with goal of expanding the “footprint” of SafeHouse Restaurant operations
- Partner with Sales and Events to ensure effective banquet and catering strategies are in place, including those focused on the optimization of revenues and profits
- Present creative and market driven menu items and concepts to ensure brands and operations are kept “fresh” and on the leading edge of industry standards, direction and trends
- Develop appropriate standard operating procedures for current and future operations
- Act as inspirational and motivational leader that models our culture and brand, while applying a continuous improvement philosophy
- Effectively recruit, hire, train and develop appropriate talent who embrace culture, brand and service delivery expectations
- Interact effectively at all levels of the organization as well as with community and civic leaders to drive brand initiatives and create positive partnerships
- Other duties as assigned
- Reputation as a recognized and respected team leader with proven ability to successfully develop, manage, motivate and engage teams at all levels
- 10+ years of progressive food and beverage experience at a senior level in the hotel industry with experience directing complex operations, including responsibility in the areas of banquets and catering.
- Prior experience preferred in the successful creation and/or growth of independent restaurant concepts/brands
- Previous experience in a franchise leadership role could prove beneficial
- Understanding of industry business cycles, demands and their impact on financial results
- Track record of managing profitability including the ability to analyze and discuss financial impact, status and process for improvement
- Proven ability to drive revenues in large hotel and/or hospitality environments featuring significant meeting space
- Strong collaborator and negotiator capable of excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills
- Exemplary ethics, moral standards and integrity
- Ability to read and understand P&L Statements, financials, etc.
- Adept at use of systems such as Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.
- Willingness and ability to travel in the field as necessary, up to 50%
Marcus Hotels & Resorts is an Equal Opportunity Employer