This Vice President of Engineering will oversee the unified engineering and product development of ConnectWise products and platform to include the shared services utilized by the product teams: cloud infrastructure, database administration, API, enterprise architecture, and centralized services.
The Vice President of Engineering leads architectural direction for the development efforts of the product teams. They must also direct and manage the execution of development directly or indirectly through standards and methodology. Additionally, this role works closely with Chief Product Officer to ensure development execution is aligned to the unified roadmap and needs of the market.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Company Level Responsibilities
- Serve on the Senior Leadership Team, "co-owning" product strategy with the Chief Product Officer
- Management of development projects for operational maturity, such as buying and trial processes, centralized product administration, and distribution
Product Team Responsibilities
- Colleague management through direct supervision of technical responsibilities and contributing engineering
- Program management and engineering execution to ensure the platform vision is realized through execution
- Develop and execute on an overall program plan with all inter-dependencies of product engineering functions that aligns to the corporate strategy
- Technical leadership for the entire product team through the development and execution of a technical strategy that will continue to innovate the platform
- Recruit, develop, and retain top product and engineering talent
- Assist the product leadership teams to evolve product management process
- Assist the product leadership teams in delivering product improvements and features on time, with high- quality, and with high customer acceptance and delight
- Overall responsible and fully accountable for end-to-end product lifecycle management for all products, from conception, to launch and adoption, through to product retirement/sunset
- Responsible for managing significant capital investments and leading a product strategy designed to support significant business growth
- Manage the financial performance of the portfolio to achieve business goals; performance measured on total revenue plus CAPEX/OPEX spend mix for the portfolio
- Manage the entire portfolio lifecycle from strategic planning to tactical activities
- Lead prioritization of portfolio investments and continuously practice portfolio management to maximize opportunity and return on investment
- Subject matter expert inputting into the product delivery process
- Define product performance expectations to measure, guide and improve product performance
- Identify leading and lagging indicators which will help measure product impact
- Test and validate new product ideas (R&D, rapid prototyping, )
- Interacts directly with the commercial teams to understand customer needs and manage R&D projects
Product Engineering Responsibilities
- Oversee's all shared services utilized by the product teams – e cloud infrastructure, DBA, API's, Enterprise Architecture and the Dev standards to be used across the Business Units
- Execute on development of all product roadmaps directly or indirectly through development standards and methodology
- Works closely with digital marketing and the internal development for alignment of product and the web properties of com and the trial experience
- Creates, provides oversight and is responsible for centralized services to include responsibility for unifying all product teams engineering to architectural standards
- Leads architectural direction of product, code and development methodology
Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities Required:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Proven track record of successful change management; experience of devising and implementing new organizational structures and ways of working
- Proven ability to operate and succeed in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment
- Experience with Agile development methodologies is advantageous
- Strong commercial acumen, gravitas and business leadership qualities; Customer-centric thinking and acting
- Proven ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority
- Outstanding communications skills for internal and external audiences
- Excellent relationship building skills with a good understanding of different cultures and how to work with them to deliver results, in a global organization
- Ability to scale high performance organizations to meet the needs of a rapidly growing business
- Skilled at achieving shared vision and driving execution
- Expertise in determining the right path when faced with ambiguous situations, lack of complete data, and the need to prioritize among multiple possible paths in a time sensitive manner
- Ability to hire, manage, coach and inspire highly talented colleagues across all levels to work effectively as a cohesive team; Ability to articulate a coherent mission, focus the team, and delegate effectively
- Knows and demonstrates how to build great (workable and winning) strategy and then lead world-class extraordinary execution based on analysis, processes and date-driven decision making
- Demonstrate the ability to field both quantitative and qualitative customer research to acquire data as an aid to judgment
- Ability to build systems, processes, and organizations from the ground up and not just be a caretaker
- Demonstrate experience working well with functional partners, especially product development (aka, software engineering)
Personal Qualities/Core Competencies:
- Has Personal Integrity: Has a deep moral compass that guides personal action, regardless of Uses values and principles to make decisions. Always strives to "do the right thing." Yearns to work at a company where the organization's values reflect personal ones.
- Is Open-Minded: Though possessing strong personal convictions and morals, this individual is accepting of the wide-range of human experience, orientation and expression (so long as they don't hurt anyone). ConnectWise is proud to attract many different kinds of people from all over the world, helping them to find one another, and the product leader must embrace and advocate for this
- Is a Team Player: Understands that success is only achievable as a Treats others fairly and with respect. Listens well and communicates well. Is a role model for cooperative behavior within the company.
- Is Fiercely Customer Focused: Has a real love of understanding customer behavior, and has personal experience using a variety of research and A-B testing techniques. Seeks to understand what customers want/need from both functional and emotional Will embrace both the user and developer communities of LabTech, becoming a "hands on," active user of the service.
- Has a Vision: Envisions long-term market potential and business opportunity and positions the business to capitalize on Communicates the vision in bold and persuasive terms. Anticipates future business opportunities or problems and develops strategies to address them.
- Drives Results: Sets dramatic, compelling goals and aggressive schedules for Has a demonstrated record of delivering both short-term results and long-term results. Translates the vision/mission of the organization into actionable, quantitative plans. Conveys a sense of urgency, and drives issues to closure. Seeks to build a great company for the long haul, not merely optimize for short-term gains.
- Thrives on Challenge: Is attracted to challenging or "first-time" assignments where he/she can stretch his/her Embraces BHAG goals with enthusiasm; is relentlessly optimistic while being grounded in reality. Has supreme confidence in own ability to succeed ("can-do" attitude).
- Manages Performance: Translates over-arching business goals into specific objectives for each member of the Holds people accountable for agreed-to results. Identifies and keeps others focused on the most important metrics that drive the business.
- Develops and Leverages Relationships: Has a strong network of internal and external relationships at high Builds and sustains excellent relationships at multiple levels in the workplace. Uses relationship networks strategically to accomplish objectives. Is able to "get things done" behind the scenes without compromising principles.
Educational/Vocational/Previous Experience Recommendations:
- 10+ years' experience as a Engineering or Technical Manager; commercial engineering management experience preferred to strong technical product understanding
- 5+ years' experience in a job commercially managing product development; experience in a software product management role in a global organization is essential
- Graduate Bachelor's degree (MBA preferred) or equivalently qualified by experience
- Professional office environment
- 10-25% travel required