Our client is a mid-sized 3PL serving retail, e-commerce and CPG industries with warehousing and transportation services, including freight brokerage and dedicated and expedited trucking. The company has experienced rapid growth in recent years and is reaching a transition point as founding members transfer operational leadership to a new group of executives. One such leadership position is the Vice President of Dedicated Fleet Operations.
The fleet is comprised of 200 tractors, 500 dry vans and 330 drivers. The VP of Fleet Operations will supervise 7 direct reports in charge of daily fleet operations, customer service, driver recruitment and retention, safety and compliance. This role is based in the Reno NV headquarters and is responsible for managing and expanding western regional fleet operations.
- Oversee dedicated and expedited trucking operations, including personnel, assets and budgeting.
- Participate in strategic planning and corporate leadership.
- Supervise 7 direct reports in charge of daily fleet operations, customer service, driver recruitment and retention, safety and compliance, including training and performance management.
- Provide leadership, training and a positive and productive work environment to fleet operations personnel.
- Emphasize effective driver recruitment, management and retention.
- Implement state-of-the-market transportation management systems and customer visibility tools.
- Ensure company delivers on the service promise to its customers.
- Maintain fleet assets in safe and efficient working order.
- Ensure robust processes and systems are developed and reinforced with SOPs and metrics to drive continual process improvement and cost reduction.
- Guide managers to achieve goals through planning, measurement, analysis and teamwork.
- At least 15 years of fleet operations experience, especially with dedicated and expedited.
- At least 5 years of fleet operations leadership in the capacity of Director or Vice President.
- Demonstrated success in operating profitable fleets more than 200 tractors, especially dedicated 3PL.
- Proficiency with state-of-the-market TMS, especially McLeod, fleet tracking technology, and customer visibility tools.
- Expert knowledge of trucking industry trends, emerging technology and regulatory compliance.
- Organizational skills and ability to prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- Past responsibility for financial management, capacity planning and organizational design.
- Ability to motivate, train, lead and evaluate the performance of managers, drivers and support personnel.
- Bachelor's degree in Management (e.g. Supply Chain, Logistics, Transportation or Operations Management) and/or substantial expertise demonstrated through career success.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirement for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.