At BMO, we are PURPOSEfully different and proud of it. To meet our goal as the fastest growing retail bank in Canada we need passionate leaders to inspire, grow and coach our talented team of Mortgage Specialists. If you are looking to take your career to the next level this is the time to join our team. At BMO we offer a range of new initiatives and exclusive external partnerships to help you and your team achieve your very best. You’ll get to know our business quickly, working with incredible leadership support to help you realize your maximum potential. As a Vice President, Mortgage Specialists (VPMS) you will be an ambassador for BMO in your marketplace establishing and enhancing the Bank’s presence and profile in an effort to optimize opportunities and maximize overall area growth and profitability.
Our leaders are expert coaches with a keen eye for talent. Working closely with their Mortgage Specialists the VPMS helps solidify strong partner relationships while helping remove barriers to achieving maximum financial results. Our growth ambitions are clear. To be the fasting growing retail bank in Canada we need ambitious and entrepreneurial Mortgage Specialists in market meeting with customers every day. The VPMS at BMO is a talent magnet, building talent pipelines and dedicating time every week to maintaining external relationships. The industry is changing and we would love to talk to you about how we are differentiating ourselves and strengthening our value proposition to ensure we are well positioned to achieve our goals.
At BMO you will be rewarded with an industry leading progressive pay for performance compensation structure which includes competitive benefits and bonus opportunities. You will work collaboratively with our credit team to ensure your team is informed of decisions quickly and be a part of a bank with an exciting “open for business” mindset. Together we can boldly grow the good in business and life.
Cultivates, builds, and manages relationships with a third-party network of referral sources to build a pipeline of new mortgage business and increase BMO’s share of the home financing market. Actively identifies sales opportunities and refers to BMO colleagues as appropriate. Develops and executes effective marketing and sales programs to drive business results. Adheres to audit, regulatory, and compliance policies and follows all standard processes/procedures.
- Manages people and leads a team capable of delivering the desired business results.
- Assesses marketplace and competition opportunities to identify strengths, opportunities, and weaknesses and create plans that address gaps and opportunities.
- Works effectively with other senior leaders to leverage sales and referral opportunities, improve wallet share, and acquire new customers.
- Develops, maintains, and executes a business plan, including sales strategies, to achieve sales objectives and acquire new clients.
- Acts as a key BMO representative for local community activities in the market.
- Addresses customer service issues according to established parameters, escalating persistent or complex matters to more senior staff or other departments for resolution.
- Manages risk to minimize losses by monitoring and controlling reports to meet compliance requirements within established risk guidelines.
- Identifies and shares best practices across a network of divisional leaders.
- Provides strategic input into business decisions as a trusted advisor.
- Makes recommendations to senior leaders on strategy and new initiatives based on an in-depth understanding of the business/group.
- Acts as a subject matter expert on relevant regulations and policies.
- Manages resources and leads the execution of strategic initiatives to deliver on business and financial goals.
- Develops the business case by identifying needs, analysing potential options and assessing expected return on investment.
- Recommends business priorities, advises on resource requirements, and develops roadmap for strategic execution.
- Acts as the prime subject matter expert for internal/external stakeholders.
- Defines business requirements for analytics and reporting to ensure data insights inform business decision making.
- Develops and applies the framework for databases; oversees database management in adherence with data governance standards.
- Leads change management programs of varying scope and type, including readiness assessments, planning, stakeholder management, execution, evaluation, and sustainment of initiatives.
- Leads the development of the communication strategy focusing on positively influencing or changing behaviour.
- Identifies performance enhancement opportunities to significantly improve employee productivity, reduce costs, and manage risks.
- Leads the execution of operational programs; assesses and adapts as needed to ensure quality of execution.
- Leads / participates in the design, implementation and management of core business / group processes.
- Engages with third party realtors, lawyers, and related referral sources to create strong relationships that generate referrals for clients requiring real estate lending solutions.
- Sells real estate lending and insurance products and identifies and initiates cross-sell opportunities and referrals in the best interest of the customer.
- Verifies mortgage approvals for compliance with regulatory requirements and operational and credit policies.
- Participates in projects and other activities designed to improve the customer experience.
- Liaises between clients and various departments across the organization to discuss issues and procedures, and provides mortgage and insurance product support and expertise.
- Completes all necessary transactional documentation in compliance with security measures.
- Ensures adherence to all aspects of First Principles our code of Business Conduct and Ethics which deals with individual accountability as it relates to potential conflicts of interest, safeguarding of client information, trading in securities, anti-money laundering, privacy and disclosure of outside business activities.
- Acts in accordance with regulatory and compliance requirements that include, but are not limited to, Anti-Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing Reporting requirements, FCAC consumer provision requirements, and Privacy Act provisions in accordance with Bank Policies & Procedures.
- Follows security and safeguarding procedures and apply appropriate due diligence in accordance with Bank policy for the prevention of loss due to fraud, robbery, counterfeiting, money laundering or defalcation.
- Protects the Bank’s assets by adhering to all everyday banking, business banking, investment and lending regulations (as appropriate), Policies and Procedures, legal and ethical requirements, process requirements and established risk guidelines.
- Understands risks and takes appropriate actions as they relate to personal banking, deposit and investment products, including all documentation, and any other requirements to maintain operational integrity.
- Maintains the confidentiality of both customer and Bank information ensuring compliance with Bank Policies & Procedures.
- Operates at a group/enterprise-wide level and serves as a specialist resource to senior leaders and stakeholders.
- Applies expertise and thinks creatively to address unique or ambiguous situations and to find solutions to problems that can be complex and non-routine.
- Implements changes in response to shifting trends.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed.
- Typically 7+ years of relevant experience and post-secondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- In-depth/Expert knowledge of mortgage and credit portfolio management.
- In-depth understanding of the real estate and mortgage lending process, investment and insurance products, and applicable regulatory requirements.
- In-depth/Expert knowledge of the competitive marketplace and trends in mortgage sales.
- In-depth/Expert project and time management.
- In-depth/Expert experience with change management.
- U.S. Only: This position will act as an originator of consumer loans as defined by Regulation Z, Regulation G, and the Secure and Fair Enforcement for Mortgage Licensing Act (the S.A.F.E. Act). This position will require a Federal registration with the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System and Registry. The Bank will instruct you on the registration requirements needed to comply with this requirement. A criminal background review and credit history evaluation will be required for this position as well as restrictions on performing in a real estate agent capacity.
- Seasoned professional with a combination of education, experience and industry knowledge.
- Verbal & written communication skills - In-depth / Expert.
- Analytical and problem solving skills - In-depth / Expert.
- Influence skills - In-depth / Expert.
- Collaboration & team skills; with a focus on cross-group collaboration - In-depth / Expert.
- Able to manage ambiguity.
- Data driven decision making - In-depth / Expert.
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset