The VP Marketing is responsible for leading development and execution of commercial strategy for the entire portfolio of products from Seres Therapeutics, the leading microbiome company.
One of the first commercial hires for the company, this individual’s primary focus will be on preparing for the successful US launch of our SER-109 oral capsule in recurrent C. difficile infection while ensuring pipeline strategies and development plans are optimized to support successful commercialization.
Reporting directly to the Chief Commercial and Strategy Officer, this key leader will have the opportunity to design and build a world class organization to support commercialization for all Seres products. Remit includes but may not be limited to: providing leadership and direction of all marketing and commercial strategies; ensuring strong strategic plans are developed and executed to support appropriate adoption of Seres’ novel therapeutics; developing cross-functional launch plans; partner with program teams in assessment of data generation and label expansion plans in support of enhancing commercial value; identification of innovative go-to-market models; determination of optimal size and structure of commercial organization including sales force and commercial operations team (e.g. business insights and analytics).
As a member of the commercial leadership team, this position will work across the organization to ensure external stakeholder perspectives are reflected in key deliverables and decisions supporting commercial launch plans and clinical development.
Seres Therapeutics, Inc., (Nasdaq: MCRB) is a leading microbiome therapeutics platform company developing a novel class of multifunctional bacterial consortia that are designed to functionally interact with host cells and tissues to treat disease. Seres’ SER-109 program achieved the first-ever positive pivotal clinical results for a targeted microbiome drug candidate and has obtained Breakthrough Therapy and Orphan Drug designations from the FDA. The SER-109 program is being advanced for the treatment of recurrent C. difficile infection and has potential to become a first-in-class FDA-approved microbiome therapeutic. Seres’ SER-287 program has obtained Fast Track and Orphan Drug designations from the FDA and is being evaluated in a Phase 2b study in patients with active mild-to-moderate ulcerative colitis. Seres is developing SER-401 in a Phase 1b study in patients with metastatic melanoma, SER-301 for ulcerative colitis and SER-155 to prevent mortality due to gastrointestinal infections, bacteremia and graft versus host disease.
Seres Therapeutics is a member of the Flagship Pioneering family of companies, affording this individual broad exposure and access to other industry leaders in the Flagship fold.
Seres is based in Cambridge, MA. We recognize the complexities introduced by COVID-19 on travel, necessity for office-based work, and increased value of remote working. This position will require a mix of Seres corporate office and external stakeholder interfaces therefore we are affording the right candidate flexibility with respect to their East Coast location. Post-COVID travel will be required to support these critical interfaces.
- Lead commercial teams in developing go to market strategy and launch plans (positioning, messaging, distribution, pricing, launch sequence, etc.)
- Design and build optimal sales and marketing organization to support the launch of SER-109
- As different teams are onboarded, ensure activities and resource planning of the Market Access, Market Research, Patient Advocacy, Sales, Marketing, and Medical Affairs groups are in alignment with commercial strategy
- Build strong relationships with KOLs, patient advocacy groups, and key customers to establish mutually beneficial partnerships that advance standard of patient care and understanding of the role of microbiome therapeutics in key diseases of interest
- Create revenue and unit forecasts for pipeline products to provide an assessment of asset value to product development teams and to support the portfolio planning initiatives including production forecasts
- Ensure development of market and opportunity assessments and target product profiles to establish roadmap for pipeline product development; ensure optimized LCM plans are developed to maximize value of each Seres asset
- Infuse commercial perspective to internal portfolio strategic reviews, making well-supported recommendations to maximize portfolio value
- Point of liaison for current and potential future external partners (e.g. with ex-North American partner Nestle Health Sciences for SER-109 and SER-287) to integrate commercial strategy, where appropriate for partnered assets
- Attract, develop, and retain staff members; Inspire and elevate capabilities of others
- Provide prompt and objective feedback and coaching to enhance or improve performance by setting expectations and holding individuals accountable for performance and behavior
- Ensure compliance with corporate policies and procedures, as well as US healthcare laws and regulations
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree; advanced degree preferred
- 15+ years of broad and progressive experience within commercial roles ideally spanning marketing, new product planning, access, and sales
- Recent experience running US P&Ls and recent US product launch experience
- Demonstrated leadership ability and track record; building high-performing commercial teams; strong talent assessment capability and the ability to attract, retain and effectively coach top industry talent to superior performance. Strong ability to effectively engage and motivate people and lead change
- Superb strategist / visionary who can originate competitive and creative strategies. Independent thinker with analytical savvy. Ability to quickly manipulate numbers, draw conclusions and exhibit solid problem solving. High level of financial business acumen
- Prior experience with strategic alliances (establishing and managing strategic relationships such as joint ventures, co-marketing agreements and development partnerships) a plus
- This hire will be in a role of significant visibility within and outside the company and will possess superb communications skills, the comportment of a professional and the skill of a diplomat. Strong customer orientation
- Resourceful, flexible, adaptable, diplomatic, and able to effectively deal with ambiguity
- Possesses a good blend of strategic and operational experience with the ability to see the big picture and strong attention to detail
- Fit with Seres culture and values, especially encouraging candidates with diverse backgrounds and those who are inclined to listen as much as they are to decide/lead. Seres is a highly collaborative environment and, therefore, consensus building will be a critical skill to ensure success in this role