The VP Marketing is responsible for planning, directing, and coordinating the company’s marketing efforts. The VP will use market insights to inform and direct the company’s brand and marketing agenda. He/she will work collaboratively across the organization to ensure the insights drive awareness, affinity, and loyalty, which all lead to greater revenue. The VP Marketing is a unifier, storyteller, and demand generator.
Brand Management and Communication
- Lead company’s brand communications and messaging strategy and execution, both internally and externally.
- Develop the essential, differentiated value proposition for the company and create foundational content to communicate this message in an engaging and inspiring way.
- Prioritize the customer and their experience in order to build an authentic brand and create better, more individualized marketing tailored to the customer. This includes owning the brand messaging as it relates to attracting the best talent in the marketplace.
- Increase engagement and build a community around marketing efforts.
- Provide clear and authentic communication and education to all levels of the company. Develop various communication strategies to generate enthusiasm, implement change, and maintain accountability.
- Consult regularly with the senior and executive team to thoroughly understand the marketing needs to successfully deliver against the organization’s vision, long term strategy, and annual goals.
- Develop online/offline marketing communications campaigns to target specific customers segments and drive improved lead generation, resulting in increased sales.
- Actively seek creative ways to secure new and profitable business through brand awareness, new customer relationships, expanding on existing relationships, development of partnerships, or other marketing strategies.
- Identify new markets/products that will allow us to continue to grow the business in both traditional and nontraditional ways.
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of the customer, including their needs, expectations, and behaviors at every stage of the customer journey. Anticipate customer needs and behaviors.
- Listen to customers and utilize technology to scale the listening process. Then translate the information into specific strategies and action items.
- Develop, deliver, and communicate value propositions to customers.
- Marry data with creativity to find new ways to engage, entertain, and delight customers.
- Lead market research, VOC, data analysis, results orientation and the regular use of metrics in daily management.
- Optimize marketing expertise and leverage best practice models/processes, tools, technology, and partners to drive marketing decisions and the customer experience.
- Use analytics to create value for internal customers and to clearly communicate the impact that various marketing programs are having.
- Continuously acquire new knowledge and share intelligence across the organization.
- Use data and analytics tools to gather real-time insights to inform marketing strategies and programs. Synthesize and turn those data points into actionable insights and stories that will resonate with the business. Then take that data to drive the necessary changes internally to provide greater value and better experiences to both internal and external customers.
- Create clear metrics and a marketing performance scorecard for internal communication within the marketing function and to other internal customers.
- Develop and execute comprehensive product marketing strategy to support the company’s strategic plan
- Thoroughly and proactively lead the organization toward its strategic goals through marketing efforts.
- Develop, plan, and execute marketing strategies based on market knowledge, experience, and customer feedback.
- Provide that information to cross-functional teams to ensure our products align with our customers’ needs.
- Analyze market trends, research competition, review company data, identify opportunities for growth, and define evolving organization-wide standards and goals.
- Develop strategies to shift with market and customer changes.
- Develop marketing plans to support the overall company strategy and build adoption and followership from stakeholders by clearly articulating optimistic expectations for the future and defining the importance of each person’s involvement in the marketing efforts.
- Demonstrate a visionary and open mindset in search of new strategies for providing innovative marketing solutions to tell the company’s story.
Impactful Functional Leadership
- Build, coach, and manage marketing team through contagious leadership by example.
- Develop and align high performing teams with a shared commitment to high-quality customer service, problem solving, and collaboration. Cultivate healthy relationships and trust among internal teams and company stakeholders.
- Partner closely and frequently with internal customers to proactively understand marketing needs and develop appropriate action plans. Provide consultative advice and demonstrate the ability to influence outcomes.
- Communicate and educate internal customers to create alignment across the company on marketing strategy.
- Develop and empower teams to competitively strive for improved customer solutions and sustainable growth.
- Cultivate buy-in, commitment, and teamwork by holding teams accountable and rewarding team accomplishments. Take calculated risks and empower the team to be innovative in its efforts.
- Cultivate an authentic culture by being inclusive and engaging employees, setting the cultural tone for the organization, and modeling right behaviors.
Soft Skill Requirements
- Team player with empowering and inclusive approach to management.
- Strategic business partnership mentality.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Ability to build, grow, and mentor a team.
- Great communicator and organizationally agile.
- Must possess a high degree of confidence grounded by personal humility. Must also lead by example and consistent with company values.
- Flexible and able to react to change in a positive, constructive manner.
- Self-directed and organized with superb analytical skills.
- Skillful at cross-functional collaboration; a team player.
- Maintain the presence and confidence to influence decision-making at executive management levels.
- Ability to demonstrate dependability and initiative.
Education/Training/Minimum Required Experience
- At least 5 years as a leader in a marketing function in a B2C company.
- Solid experience developing integrated marketing, business development, and communication programs with a strong focus on data and analytics.
- 5+ years of experience in business generation management experience.
- An undergraduate degree is required.
- Thorough knowledge of marketing principles, brand, product, and service management.
- Must have experience being a collaborative leader who enjoys working cross-functionally.
- Expert ability to think strategically and execute tactically.
- Well-developed business acumen and ability to understand how marketing strategy can influence business objectives.