Job Description :
I. GENERAL OVERVIEW:
Responsible for the financial operations and financial oversight of a Highmark business segment. Appraise operating results in terms of costs, budgets, operational policies, trends and increased profit opportunities. Partner with segment and matrix partner leaders to drive achievement of current year and multi-yearfinancial commitments for the business segment.
II. ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Function as member of the team responsible for developing vision and strategy. Provide detailed guidance on the preparation of all financial components of the strategic plans across the segment product lines. Oversee communication of strategy and vision to management and staff and to representatives of Highmark Inc.
2. Accountable for activities required to maintain financial records, the preparation of financial statements, the preparation of Board of Director statements, and the preparation of statutory reports for submission to the Department of Insurance in various states.
3. Lead Health Plan Operating Expense oversight, including maintenance of budget development processes and assessment of operating effectiveness for each of Highmark’s Health Plan functions.
4. Oversight of detailed, multi-year earnings improvement initiatives under the direct and indirect control of the segment leadership, including measurable initiatives across all P&L categories.
5. Partner with Actuarial functions, enabling effective product pricing, in-year claim analysis, and IBNR reserve decision making.
6. Oversee compliance matters including product filings, resolution of regulatory issues, responses to regulatory inquires, for a variety of products and programs marketed across the United States. Provide counseling/advice with respect to regulatory developments in the external environment, product development issues, and the interpretation and administration of market segment products.
7. Oversight of Highmark’s Health Plan Financial Planning & Analysis and Operational Accounting & Reporting departments, with responsibility for overall Health Planfinancialreporting (actuals, budget, and projection) and coordination across all Health Plan business segments and with Enterprise Financial Planning & Analysis.
8. Lead a highly effective team, focusing on talent development that is based on robust performance management, rewards and recognition, and succession planning.
• Bachelor’s degree
• MBA or CPA
• 10 years progressive management experience in finance or accounting in the health care payer sector
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Financial analysis/modeling
• Executive communication
• Direct report development/talent management
• Collaboration across matrix organizational structure