Vice President, Global Head of Total Rewards and Talent Analytics
W.W. Grainger, Inc., (NYSE: GWW) with 2020 sales of $11.8 billion, is North America's leading broad line supplier of maintenance, repair and operating products (MRO) and services, with operations also in Europe, Asia and Latin America. We are determined to keep the world working through innovative technology, solutions and deep customer relationships. More than 5 million businesses and institutions worldwide rely on Grainger for products in categories such as safety, material handling and metalworking, along with services like inventory management and technical support. These customers represent a broad collection of industries including commercial, government, healthcare and manufacturing. They place orders online, on mobile devices, through sales representatives, over the phone and at local branches. With over 75% of Grainger's sales coming from digitalchannels, the company was ranked 11th in eCommerce in North America by Digital Commerce 360. More than 4,500 suppliers provide Grainger with 1.5 million products stocked in the company's distribution centers (DC's) and branches worldwide
As a market-leading Fortune 300 company, Grainger is seeking a business savvy, accomplished Vice President, Total Rewards to help us redefine our human capital vision and craft the compensation and benefits philosophy in support of our continued business growth.
Reporting to the SVP & Chief Human Resources Officer, and as part of a team of 250+ HR professionals supporting approximately 25,000 colleagues, the Vice President, Total Rewards and Talent Analytics is responsible for the design, development, implementation, communication and maintenance of Grainger's rewards programs, including executive and broad-based compensation, equity, benefits and wellbeing. The VP will also be responsible for the Talent Analytics function. In addition, as part of the HR Leadership Team, you will be a key partner and strategic advisor in delivery our overall human capital vision. The Vice President, Total Rewards and Talent Analytics will work closely with the CHRO, CEO, CFO, General Counsel and will be expected to interact regularly with the Board of Directors Compensation Committee.
This is an ideal role for experienced and business savvy leader who is looking for their next opportunity in building a premier total rewards function in an environment where we are investing in our people and people practices.
- Lead and craft the vision for Total Rewards, working in partnership with other members of the business and HR leadership teams.
- Help reshape, establish and drive the Total Rewards operating model moving forward.
- Lead and run all compensation and benefits programs to attract, retain and motivate a high-performing workforce, and continuously improve incentive and bonus plan designs that support our culture, priorities and business model.
- Partner with executive leadership to ensure that all programs support the organization's strategic objectives and are competitive, cost effective and in compliance with legal requirements.
- Continue to evolve the use of Talent Analytics.
- Lead, develop and mentor a team in the functional areas of Executive Compensation, Broad-Based Compensation, Benefits and Wellbeing, Global Mobility, and Talent Analytics.
- Support M&A and reorganization activities as required.
- Specific responsibilities by functional area
- Work with external compensation consultant and Compensation Committee on the strategy, design and implementation of executive compensation programs.
- Serve as Secretary of Compensation Committee of the Board ("CCOB"). Prepare materials and actively participate in CCOB meetings.
- Lead the preparation and the Company's Annual Proxy Statement. Responsible for the development of the Compensation Discussion and Analysis and related tables.
- Own plan documents, plan design, implementation, administration and compliance of equity programs.
- Forecast, monitor and report ongoing share utilization and stock compensation.
- Direct the design and development of our broad-based wage and salary programs and structures including short and long-term incentive plans for management, frontline and sales team members as appropriate per business unit and/or at corporate level.
- Lead job evaluation and the application of existing job classifications, job grade assignment, salary ranges and FLSA status to positions.
- Ensure that compensation plans stay in sync with federal, state and local laws and regulations. Partner with Finance and Legal organizations on SEC filing related matters.
- Identify and develop electronic compensation tools for efficient program management.
Benefits and Wellbeing
- Design, implement and routinely assess our benefits competitiveness relative to market and ensure program compliance. Develop population wellbeing programs to encourage a focus on holistic healthy lifestyles.
- Monitor the changing healthcare landscape and assess benefit design with an eye toward ensuring market competitive plans that drive a wellness culture.
- Responsible for guiding the strategic direction of Talent Analytics function, including ensuring clear governance structure, aligning data practices and delivering on analytics projects to support both the business and HR team.
- Bring experience in leveraging data science, analytics and visualization to provide insights and inform decision making related to people and talent practices.
- Support the development of data literacy and analytical thinking in the HR function.
- A minimum of 15 years of executive, broad-based and dynamic experience crafting and leading compensation, benefits and equity programs.
- Bachelor's degree in business-related major required, master's degree preferred.
- Validated experience in working closely with Board of Directors' Compensation Committee on all matters related to Board and Executive Compensation in a public company, including overall competitive compensation positioning, short and long-term incentive design, equity management, tax compliance, SEC regulations, executive agreement design and compliance.
- Strong leadership, people and organizational skills to lead, build and develop a highly effective team and elevate the total rewards delivery model.
- Demonstrated history designing, developing, communicating and administering compensation strategies and plans, including bonuses, equity, incentives, profit sharing and other compensation vehicles.
- Creative state of the art thinking and practices in total rewards and HRIS with ability and willingness to roll up one's sleeves and dive deep.
- Ability to achieve goals through influencing, partnering and developing productive relationships with leaders across the company.
- Well-developed analytical skills and problem-solving skills to ensure our programs are meeting the needs of the business.
- Advanced interpersonal, listening and communication skills, including presentation and facilitation skills, and a track record of effectively communicating with and influencing at all levels, including providing critical feedback and the ability to help our executives, managers and employees navigate through difficult situations.