The General Manager drives consistency of the Bloomingdale’s brand as it is expressed through people, guaranteeing both an outstanding shopping experience for our upscale clientele as well as an outstanding employment experience for our workforce. Capitalizing on the excitement and ambience inherent to the Bloomingdale’s brand, he/she builds and cultivates a motivated, skilled and equipped management team. The General Manager’s leadership inspires alignment to the b-Bloomingdale’s vision of a selling culture, driving volume growth and profitable business relationships. The General Manager is responsible for effectively prioritizing, strategizing and leading the unique blend of our business: driving a day in day out regular price business versus, at times, maximizing a high-powered promotional marketing calendar.
The critical responsibilities of the General Manager are: Drive Fashion Leadership, Build Omni-channel Competency, Grow Our People, Deliver Our Financials, Engender Customer Loyalty. DEVELOP THE PEOPLE AND THE TEAM
• Recruit top quality executives and staff with appropriate diversity. Spend time shopping the competition specifically looking at people and strategizing who should join the Bloomindale’s team. Observe and get to know the capabilities of the best managers and associates in the competition. Develop relationships with these individuals that will give them the desire and the confidence to come to Bloomindale’s when the appropriate opportunity is available.
• Develop and retain a strong team; ensure that new hires -- both executives and staff – are guided properly and completely through the “on-boarding” process and are transitioned into the Bloomingdale’s culture with consistent communication and coaching.
• Capitalize on a strategic succession plan that anticipates job openings and develops internal talent.
• Cultivate strong and collaborative business partnerships with and amongst the Assistant Store Manager of Operations, Human Resources Manager, Group Manager, Senior Merchandise Manager and Visual Manager; serve as a role model for Sales and merchandise Managers and their associates.
• Leverage business relationships with the store organization: Invite honest feedback from these business partners in order to improve people and performance.
• Develop a strong business partnership with the Senior Vice President, Director of Stores and Executive Committee members.
• Drive accountability and discipline at the executive and staff levels. BUILD REPUTATION OF BLOOMINGDALE’S AS “THE BEST PLACE TO WORK”
• Build a team with sensitivity to Diversity and Bloomingdale’s commitment to an environment free from hostility, harassment or discrimination of any kind.
• Recognize performance above standard and celebrate with the individual and the team;
• Provide an Open Door to receive coworker concerns and resolve issues;
• Consistently work to reduce friction in the workplace by proactively addressing any/all issues and conflict;
• Ensure fair and consistent application of all policies and procedures.
CULTIVATE A SERVICE AND CLIENT FOCUSED ENVIRONMENT
• Serve as the ultimate role model of outstanding service. Consistently demonstrate the urgency of engaging the customer in a professional, polished and knowledgeable manner;
• Ensure that brand strategy initiatives are fully embraced by the store with the right communication, recognition and alignment;
• Drive Service and achieve success as measured by the NPS (Net Promoter Score) standard;
• Inspire and empower a cohesive management and selling team to own and guarantee the outstanding service experience. Visibly support the clienteling culture and maximize the use of clienteling tools (b-connected, customer outreach, Loyallist) as a method to drive loyal relationships. Balance the emphasis on regular relationship selling versus high traffic promotional events.
• Know the top 100 clients in the store.
ACHIEVE NEW ACCOUNT ACQUISITION STANDARDS AND LOYALTY STANDARDS
• Be a strong and consistent voice leading and supporting all aspects of loyalty: new account acquisition, participation and loyalty sales growth;
• Ensure that management team executes loyalty education and programs in compliance with Central directives and appropriately follows up to drive performance;
• Achieve standard for new account acquisition, participation, and loyalty sales growth DRIVE SALES VOLUME
• Ensure that store team works to maximize sales opportunity by leveraging our core values - Drive Fashion Leadership, Build Omni-channel Competency, Grow Our People, Deliver Our Financials, Engender Customer Loyalty.
• Achieve sales volume success compared to plan, last year and established store trend and ensure that store team reacts appropriately to selling reports.
• Ensure that store team capitalizes on key business opportunities (trends, vendors, classifications, items) and identifies stock concerns
• Drive store initiated strategies (transition, seasonal, etc.) working with the senior team and regional partners.
• Maximize both corporate and store initiated events to drive volume, client relationships, and service reputation.
ACHIEVE EBIT AND EXPENSE
• Achieve shortage objectives
• Meet expense and flex performance objectives
• Responsibly manage elements of profitability: shortage, expense, adherence to audit standards, and gross markdown rates.
• Bachelor's Degree preferred
• Minimum of 10 years of retail management experience in a department store with direct P & L responsibility