Fort Worth, TX
8 - 10 years
Posted 397 days ago
UNTHSC is one of the nation's distinguished graduate academic health science centers, dedicated to education, research, clinical care and community engagement. In the heart of Fort Worth's Cultural District on a 33-acre campus, the UNTHSC is located immediately adjacent to several museums (Amon Carter Museum of American Art, Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth Museum of Science and History, Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, National Cowgirl Museum, and others) and the Will Rogers Coliseum. The UNTHSC campus consists of 1.4 million square feet of facilities housing lecture halls, training rooms, patient care facilities and research labs. UNTHSC is composed of Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, School of Health Professions, School of Public Health, College of Pharmacy, Health Institutes - multi-disciplinary research Centers and Institutes, UNT Health, a faculty group practice. UNTHSC has partnered with Texas Christian University to create a joint MD medical school. The inaugural class of 60 students is expected to matriculate in Fall of 2019.
UNTHSC is committed to a remarkable continued growth trajectory as a high performing health science center that provides quality research that will impact the health and well-being of the citizens of Texas and beyond. Over the past decade, the growth in external research funding has doubled from $25M to nearly $50M. UNTHSC has established interdisciplinary/translational research Institutes and Centers that promote research collaborations in 2-3 existing areas of strengths among the six schools at UNTHSC and local, regional and national/international institutions. It is expected that the external research funding will exceed $55M by 2020.
The UNTHSC is governed by the University of North Texas (UNT) System Board of Regents, and is a state-supported institution. Other system institutions include UNT-Denton, and UNT-Dallas. The UNTHSC is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Each school or program also has professional accreditations.
UNTHSC has put into words and action the values that define how its team acts and works together to reach its goals, purpose, mission and vision.
SERVE OTHERS FIRST - Encourage growth, well-being and success of each other and people we serve.
INTEGRITY - Uphold the highest ethical standards.
RESPECT - Treat everyone with dignity and compassion.
COLLABORATION - Work together to achieve shared goals.
BE VISIONARY - Create innovative solutions in the pursuit of excellence.
Our purpose: Transform lives in order to improve the lives of others.
Our mission: Create solutions for a healthier community.
Our vision: One university, built on values, defining and producing the providers of the future.
The VPR serves as chief research officer and provides executive and administrative leadership over research areas, including Infrastructure & Compliance, Grant & Contract Management, Development & Commercialization, Interdisciplinary Research (Institutes/Centers), and Laboratory Animal Medicine. Reports directly to President.
Responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to:
* (STRATEGY) Develop and implement institutional research strategic plan to include priorities, goals, tactical initiatives, and performance measures supported by resource allocation.
* Provide recommendations and execute decisions on priorities, opportunities, strategies and utilization of resources to support expansion of institutional research.
* Guide and monitor research programs development; work closely with faculty, administrative offices, government relations staff, federal and state funding agencies, industrial partners and philanthropic organizations.
* (EXECUTIVE LEADERSHIP)
* Serves on President's Cabinet. Works closely to build consensus with other Cabinet members on major decisions affecting HSC.
* Leads President's Council on Research to develop recommendations for decisions delegated by President.
* Takes courageous, consistent and appropriate leadership actions to overcome barriers to achieving HSC's visionary and strategic goals.
* Makes timely decisions rather than delaying them to avoid difficult or politically risky choices.
* Models Our Values and HSC culture; holds self and others accountable while recognizing those who go above and beyond to live Our Values.
* Holds supervisors accountable for all missions and objectives; makes timely decisions regarding marginally performing managers.
* (COMPLIANCE) Continuous oversight, development and implementation of research policies, procedures and compliance.
* Clarifies and updates policies and procedures, monitors implementation and evaluates their efficacy.
*Responds to all UNTHSC policies and their potential impact on research.
* Provides comprehensive reports and official data on research and development activities with outside agencies and within UNTHSC.
* Assures research compliance including use of human subjects (Institutional Review Board), laboratory animals (Institutional Animal Care & Use Committee) and Lab Animal Medicine, research integrity and conflicts of interest.
*Work closely with Chief Compliance Officer to ensure ongoing review of governmental, regulatory and internal policies.
* Serve as Research Compliance Oversight Committee co-chair.
* Assist with implementation and management of effective export compliance programs under International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR).
*Work with institutional committees and officials to ensure research accountability and compliance.
* (PUBLIC INTERFACE) Represent research programs, life science businesses to civic leaders, donors, research-sponsoring agencies, government agencies and partner institutions.
* (BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS) Assists interdisciplinary/translational research development and oversight among UNTHSC schools and inter-institutional collaborative research efforts between UNTHSC and other entities including other academic institutions, hospitals, research institutes, companies and foundations.
* (OPERATIONAL MANAGEMENT) Oversees all operational research activities.
* Oversees grants and contracts including pre-award, post-award, accounting, and research compliance in basic, clinical, and translational research, public health, clinical trials, outcomes and educational research.
* Oversees intellectual property activities including validating and protecting discoveries and technology transfer issues relating to licensing and partnerships for developing and commercializing discoveries.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Progressive responsibilities in a comprehensive research program, preferably in an academic medical center or health science center setting, and an understanding of the complexities and operational processes associated with a large and complex research portfolio.
*Experience in leading and developing areas related to clinical, basic, social science and translational research.
* National recognition as evidenced by involvement in academic societies at national level.
* Possesses a record of vision execution and leadership around
The successful candidate will possess the following requiredqualifications:
Terminal degree (M.D., D.O., and/or Ph.D.) in a discipline relevant to the UNTHSC and ten (10) years of progressive research administration/management experience.