Thrivent’s Purpose: Why we exist
We believe humanity thrives when people make the most of all they’ve been given.
Thrivent’s Promise: What we exist to do
We help people achieve financial clarity, enabling lives full of meaning and gratitude
Purpose-Based Advice supports our strategic bets and customer-centric approach of becoming a leader in financial advisory, delivered by our Financial Professionals
Thrivent Financial, a Fortune 500 diversified financial services firm, seeks a Vice President for Thrivent Advisor Groups (8 executives who lead geographic regions focused on growing new advisors and enabling practices who provide advice and solutions to Thrivent clients).
The Vice President for Thrivent Advisor Groups will partner closely with our COEs focused on Advisor Growth, Practice Growth, and Advice Adoption to ensure Thrivent drives productive capacity growth by attracting, selecting, onboarding and launching new financial professionals (FP) into Thrivent. This Leader will also work closely with the Leader of the National Practice Group to ensure our top practices stay connected geographically with regions. Thrivent aims to achieve our One Big Goal to significantly grow its businesses and client base. This role is responsible for achieving Thrivent’s growth goals for protection sales (ANBP), investment revenues (RFOB), and clients across our geographic markets.
A successful Vice President for Thrivent Advisor Groups will:
•Inspire others with Thrivent’s purpose, promise and principles. The Leader will grow exceptional leaders, connect across regional communities, build relationships and identify and go after opportunities.
•Lead the execution for advice adoption and solutions across all geographic groups for Thrivent. The Leader will be accountable for delivering growth in ANBP, New clients, and RFOB.
•Lead advisor capacity growth across all geographic groups. She/he will possess “woo” for recruiting and developing top diverse leaders and FP talent including women and BIPOC.
•Encourages experienced advisors to grow teams, create professional practices, and grow their practice capacity with new FPs. The Leader will collaborate well with National Practice Group leaders to leverage advanced practices in their geographic markets.
•Collaborates across Thrivent COEs, National Practice Group, and our advisor continuum and channels (e.g. remote advice, Thrivent Advisor Network (TAN)). The Leader forges a culture that represents the Thrivent purpose, promise and values.
•Collaborate across Thrivent advisor continuum and channels including Guidance Team and TAN. Operate successfully in a hybrid world of in-person and virtual connections.
•Work with FP Compensation and Incentives to ensure the appropriate competitive rewards are in place to retain and motivate GVPs, field leaders, and FPs, while providing economic returns to Thrivent
•Work with Supervision and Compliance to ensure Thrivent’s brand trustworthiness is upheld to the highest levels and Thrivent complies with all regulatory and legal requirements.
•Scope for the Leader role includes 8 GVPs, 130+ Field Leaders and 2000+ Financial Representatives serving 2,300,000 clients.
We are open to the VP, Thrivent Advisor Group being a remote/virtual position (within the US).
As an enterprise leader, The Vice President for Thrivent Advisor Groups must accomplish the following.
- The Leader is responsible for providing strategic leadership and accountability to deliver missional performance of Groups, field leadership and Financial Professionals. Additionally, the Leader is accountable for setting strategies to achieve Thrivent’s results in these areas:
- Member-Facing Capacity Growth of Financial Professionals, Ops, and Leaders
- Growth of Practices
- Balanced Sales for ANBP (Life, Health and Annuities) and RFOB (Investments and other business)
- Client Growth
- Advice Adoption
The Vice President for Thrivent Advisor Groups will be accountable for:
Leadership: The Vice President for Thrivent Advisor Groups will attract, develop and lead exceptional GVPs and help them build exceptional field leadership teams who recruit and launch new advisors as well as support experienced practices:
- The Leader will work with GVPs to identify key markets and ensure high talent regional leaders are in place to grow our Financial Professionals at the region and market levels.
- Drive strong accountability so market leaders and practice leaders deliver on advice adoption and solution sales, advisor capacity growth, and practice growth, in an economically viable manner for Thrivent
- Focus resources in key markets with the most opportunity for Thrivent.
Culture of Courage, Collaboration and Commitment: The Leader will create a culture that embodies Thrivent’s leadership competencies – courage, collaboration, and commitment.
- The Leader forges a culture that represents the Thrivent purpose, promise and values, ensuring that Thrivent’s trust and reputation remain strong with its clients and across Christian communities. The Leader will protect Thrivent’s brand through strong “tone from the top” around our compliance and supervision culture.
- The Leader will partner with our Centers of Excellence, help identify and spread best practices, and execute on COE playbooks/systems for advice adoption, capacity growth, and practice growth including
- The leader will establish and foster an environment in which Thrivent employees and colleagues are focused on continuous improvement, exceptional workforce engagement, and an unwavering commitment to our clients.
- The Leader will connect with Thrivent Member Networks and their boards to help achieve the TMN and Thrivent’s goals.
Given their focus on leadership and culture, The Leader leads Thrivent’s execution on three crucial outcomes to serve our clients:
Advice Adoption: The Vice President for Thrivent Advisor Groups leads nationally the execution for advice adoption and solutions across groups for Thrivent. The Leader will:
- Collaborate with the Advice COE to ensure her/his Group Vice Presidents (and their Leaders and Advisors) adopts Thrivent’s advice offerings. New advisors will be trained on and coached around providing advice to their clients. Experienced advisors/practices will be encouraged to adopt Thrivent’s advice offerings. All leaders will be expected to be competent and committed to ensuring they lead their advisors with advice.
- Ensure strong solutions (both ANBP and investments) are recommended in line with advice recommendations.
- Is expected to deliver strong ANBP and investment results in their Group.
Advisor Growth: The Vice President for Thrivent Advisor Groups will lead advisor capacity growth across all key geographic markets. The Leader will:
- Work with GVPs to focus on 30+ key markets in which to grow advisor capacity and build a plan to deliver on Thrivent’s capacity growth goals.
- Holds GVPs accountable for region goals through weekly accountability sessions and coaching 1:1s.
- Attracts high quality, diverse talent into financial professional (FP) roles, partnering with the Advisor Growth COE for licensing and training; Encourages new FPs are placed onto FP practices in markets
- Ensures all new Financial Professionals are given the advice, solutions and business tools, resources and knowledge needed in order to be successful; Works to ensure new FPs are connected into Thrivent’s unique affinity marketplace and Christian connections.
Practice Growth: The Vice President for Thrivent Advisor Groups encourages experienced advisors to grow teams and create professional practices, with the goal of 80% of advisors working in teams/practices by 2025. The Leader:
- Ensures strong Practice Director talent is in place across Thrivent while collaborating with the Practice COE and National Practice Group
- Helps advisors build new practices and Professionalize practices and Facilitates matchmaking between advisors to form new joint practices
- Encourages the Recruitment of new FPs into practices by helping practices recruit and launch independently and matching new FPs with existing practices
- Collaborates with the Practice CEO to provide Best-in-class practice management for mature existing practices
- Works closely with National Practice Group leadership to leverage the strengths of advanced NPG practices into their Groups
- Demonstrated experience (15+ years) leading in the financial services industry or related industry at a senior operating level.
- Strategic enterprise-level leadership skills along with strong influence and collaboration; able to work across both corporate environment and field to influence and impact results.
- Experience with effectively leading through change; Passionate about leading on a large scale, collaborating through others, and leveraging Centers of Excellence and systems to engage people and drive results
- Passionate about providing advice to clients and possesses In-depth knowledge of advice, insurance products, asset/wealth management, fee-based planning, mutual funds and securities; Ideally will possess CFP, CLF, ChFC or CLU designation
- Talent magnet who is able to size up every opportunity to draw talent to key markets and communities. Capable of attracting, selecting, developing, and leading GVPs and their leadership teams. Demonstrated track record of attracting, selecting and developing a diverse leadership team. Extensive record of success in growing Financial Professionals, field leaders, and office teams.
- Knowledgeable and strong influencer with experienced FPs and practices; able to lead through teaming, practice management, and succession planning. For advanced teams, willing and able to connect them with advanced practice capabilities (e.g. NPG)
- Effectively able to represent Thrivent to its clients, TMN boards, and in communities; partner closely with Engagement Team
- Ability to travel as needed to cover geographic area, Thrivent and industry functions.
- Must reside within the assigned geographic area and effectively serve assigned markets.
- College Degree in business, management, or related business field or equivalent
- FINRA Series 7, 24, 63 & 65 or 66 required or obtained within 90 days of hire; work closely with centralized supervision
- State insurance licensed and appointed for life, health, accident and variable products in all states in which RFO’s FRs transact business or attained within 90 days of hire
- Insurable under both the Society’s applicable fidelity bond and errors and omissions coverage
- Ability to effectively travel around the assigned geographic area; occasional commercial travel for meetings, conferences and training
- Must have satisfactory Form U-4 disclosures