We are looking for a Vice President, Engineering for leading and setting the direction of the DDN RED next generation storage software solutions reporting directly to the EVP, Global Engineering Operations. As a VP of Engineering, you should be comfortable with growing a geo-dispersed team and managing groups of between 50-150 people. You should have demonstrated ability to extend teams into new geographies and with low cost geography partners. This is a hands-on position so in-depth knowledge of storage is required. The incumbent of this position is a planner, motivator and mentor: a position of senior leadership.
- Lead the team responsible for all new technology evaluations, ensuring comprehensive industry evaluation and testing occurs and results are distributed to the appropriate teams
- Lead a multi-site team ensuring employee performance, workload management, and on-time delivery of projects and products and execution of DDN RED roadmaps
- Collaborate with other executives, product management and marketing on release requirements and roadmaps for DDN RED storage products
- Have a very aggressive roadmap of product feature evolution and find creative cost effective ways to implement it. Avail yourself of industry available/open source software for inclusion in the product.
- Set internal sustainability goals and manage team to meet these goals
- Plan project budgets and manage to approved budgets
- Recruit, mentor, motivate and retain engineering personnel
- Mentor front line managers to help them grow their knowledge and experience
- Interface with customers on new features and issues
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (computer science, computer engineering or electrical engineering or related discipline) or comparable experience is required; master’s degree in relevant field or MBA a plus or equivalent experience
- 15+ years of management of software development teams, with mid-size to large companies – we are expecting to see company growth and evidence of product innovation throughout tenure in the ideal candidate.
- Experience with all phases of the development life cycle.
- Comfortable in handling all aspects of budget management up to $5M.
- Experience with cross-site development including low cost geographies.
- Focused, flexible and creative thinker with proven leadership skills.
- Previous experience with Filesystems - parallel, NAS, enterprise directories, e.g., CEPH, ZFS, Lustre, GPFS, SMB, NFS, PNFS, S3.
- Previous experience with Directory Services e.g., Active Directory, LDAP, NIS.
- Desirable to have experience with frameworks such as VMWare, OpenStack, Docker, Kubernetes and KVM and associated microservices
- Desirable to have experience with networking (Ethernet, Infiniband, FibreChannel)