About Marathon Health
Marathon Health ( is one of the nation’s leading providers of employer-based health services. We serve businesses throughout the United States, providing a different kind of healthcare program that focuses on total population health management and health risk reduction.
Marathon Health promotes a culture of health and wellness in everything we do. It is for this reason we seek to hire individuals who embrace wellness and model healthy behaviors in their own lives. We are proud to be a drug and tobacco free company. We value the richness diversity brings to our workforce and are committed to being an equal opportunity employer and provider (EOE). We are proud to be a drug and tobacco free company and the selected candidate must pass a criminal background check and drug test.
Vice President, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Marathon Health strives to be the healthcare model of fostering respect for the dignity of all people, including those who have historically been overlooked or denied justice and equality. Marathon Nation (ambassadors, customers, patients) truly reflects and resembles the diverse make-up of the nation in which we live. ‘Embracing Differences’ is a core Marathon Health value and our commitment to inclusion is not only in our words but in our actions as well. Therefore, this newly created Vice President Diversity, Equity & Inclusion role will be responsible for driving Marathon Health’s mission to ignite an environment of inclusion in both corporate and clinical settings. He/She/They will ensure that Marathon Health promotes human dignity and celebrates diversity to foster innovative ideas and solutions that will benefit our patients, customers and company while strengthening our standing as a leading provider of employer-based healthcare. The VP Diversity, Equity & Inclusion will be responsible for initiatives regarding diversity, equity and inclusion strategy throughout Marathon Health nation. The position will report directly to our Chief People Experience Officer.
The VP Diversity, Equity & Inclusion will be responsible for working with our leaders, providers, business & clinical ambassadors, and the community to provide leadership in developing and implementing strategic initiatives to support an organizational workforce and culture that is inclusive and respectful of the various backgrounds and cultures that are reflected in our patients and the communities we serve. Additionally, the VP Diversity, Equity & Inclusion will serve as an advisor, bridge builder, strategic leader and partner, enabling leaders across the system to identify and execute initiatives to effect lasting organizational changes.
- Develop, implement, and lead a multi-year tactical action plan for enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion to support Marathon Health’s Quadruple Aim.
- Execute the diversity, equity & inclusion approach by creating goals and action plans that align with priorities based on employee feedback and strategic business goals. Ensure effective and timely implementation of the diversity, equity and inclusion action plan.
- Utilize quantitative and qualitative data to establish processes and to monitor progress and impact of diversity, equity & inclusion
- Develop and lead internal Inclusion Groups focused on creating and executing inclusion initiatives throughout the organization to support employee development, mentoring, sense of community, well-being and business objectives.
- Promote organization-wide awareness of diversity, equity, and inclusion in both the corporate and clinical areas through training and education opportunities
- Partner closely with Talent Acquisition on inclusion strategies in attracting, sourcing, interviewing, and hiring diverse talent.
- Partner with People Experience leadership to create plans for internal professional development leading to a more diverse leadership team.
- Partner with Organizational Development to create and implement an inclusion learning and awareness strategy for all employees.
- Partner with the Marketing and Communications team on effective internal and external branding and communication that showcases Marathon Health’s commitment to diversity, equity & inclusion.
- Work cross functionally with all other departments (IT, Data Analytics, Customer Care, Operations, etc.) to identify gaps and develop action plans to address them.
- Foster and cultivate external relationships with networks and partnerships for best practice awareness.
- Stay current on diversity, equity & inclusion best practices, programs, and metrics outside of Marathon Health to optimize and integrate within our company’s goals and strategic approach.
- Ensure compliance with equal employment opportunity (EEO) requirements and affirmative action programs to promote a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace.
- Mitigate diversity-based disputes and accusations of discrimination against the company or other employees.
- Be a leader who will be able to engage others, build strong relationships, and provide leadership and direction around diversity, equity & inclusion initiatives.
- Master’s degree preferred (Bachelor’s degree required) in a field related (but not limited) to public affairs, public health, social justice, human resources, psychology, or management.
- At least 5 years’ experience in diversity, equity and inclusion leadership and/or other community health related experience at the senior level. Healthcare and/or service industry experience highly preferred.
- In-depth understanding of the nationally recognized diversity, equity & inclusion landscape in corporate and clinical areas.
- Experience creating internal and external diversity, equity & inclusion strategies, especially around customer relations, vendor relations and clinical settings.
- Strong facilitation skills and experience with a proven ability to facilitate difficult conversations around race, gender, sexual identities, as well as other experiences of injustice, inequity, and oppression.
- Experience in interpreting HR analytic data (e.g., engagement, new hire, and/or exit surveys) within a diversity, equity & inclusion lens.
- Experience in motivating, coaching, empowering, and managing a matrix team to deliver organizational goals, while also delivering value back to employees.
- Proven ability to create frameworks around undefined and unstructured topics, to enable colleagues and clients with executable, practical solutions to diversity, equity & inclusion challenges.
- Demonstrated ability to make informed decisions that reveal a broader scope of contextual and business understanding, rather than just an HR focus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong presentation abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to be creative, resourceful and visionary balanced with strong business acumen.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team environment and build successful and effective relationships with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to hear varying viewpoints and synthesize into Marathon Health priorities that will be most meaningful for employees and support business objectives.
- Ability to implement change strategies in partnership with senior leadership and across functions.
- Ability to articulate ideas clearly and persuasively.
- Ability to multi-task and work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to thrive in an innovative, flexible, rapidly changing work environment.
- Intellectually curious about diversity, equity & inclusion & the business landscape, with a passion for continuous learning.
- Thinks beyond the confines of traditional models to generate insights, recognize opportunities and find new and better ways to achieve goals.
- Collaborative, with superior listening, critical thinking, and writing skills.
- Strong project and time management skills.
- Worldview of diversity, equity & inclusion that is grounded in anti-oppressive practice, going beyond compliance.
- Sound judgment, high integrity and ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Certified Diversity Professional designation (preferred)
- SPHR certification (preferred)
- Other certifications or licenses related to diversity, equity, and inclusion