Sentara Healthcare is seeking an innovative, entrepreneurial-minded leader with a deep technology background to lead the digital platform team/strategy. This opportunity allows for a seasoned executive to join one of the premier health systems in the country.
Directly reporting to Tim Skeen, Senior Vice President and Chief Information Officer of Sentara Healthcare, the new Vice President will be a crucial change agent in the company’s continued transformation to a digital-first organization by guiding, inspiring and building a “best in class” digital platform & digital products for the communities we serve. This individual will lead the:
- Technology strategy;
- Create and drive the digital platform/product development roadmap;
- Build an overarching virtual care ecosystem; and
- Prioritize the effort to transform customer, patient, and member engagement activities through digital channels.
- Design & manage an advanced digital marketing & digital experience platform by integrating the appropriate data and platforms that manage and deliver communications and expereinces across the marketing and patient/member lifecycle.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of ten years of experience in innovation, transformation, healthcare technology, digital product development, and/or related expertise with a strong understanding of the business needs and competitive challenges of the health care industry. A Master’s degree is strongly preferred in a related discipline and/or significant depth and breadth of corporate experience with information technology.
The Vice President, Digital Transformation will be a crucial change agent in the company’s continued transformation towards a consumer health solutions organization by guiding, inspiring, and building a “best in class” digital platform for the communities we serve. As a trusted advisor to the executive team, this individual will lead the development of the technology strategy, roadmap, and execution, transforming customer, patient, and member engagement through digital channels. This leader will oversee and optimize both platforms and products that deliver valuable solutions for a range of end-users to ensure that business objectives are achieved more efficiently and effectively.
Additionally, this leader will bring extensive experience leading teams in digital technology
and omni-channels, as well as knowledge of digital operations, that are integral to maturing Sentara’s technology-enabled business processes. This experience and knowledge will be essential to support our provider and patient/member digital tools. The Vice President, Digital Transformation will be a strong cross-functional leader who can liaise with other C-suite executives and work harmoniously with different business verticals to orchestrate a federated approach to digital innovation. The selected person should have deep experience with aligning multiple stakeholders, generating enthusiasm and endorsement from leadership teams, and broadening our workforce understanding towards organizational change. She/he will be a motivating and respected leader across all levels of the organization and play an integral role in managing our best-in-class teams.
The digital transformation priorities include:
- The development of digital products, in partnership with the Vice President, Digital Experience, for recruitment and retention of lives connected with Sentara; for our physicians; and for our team members.
- Collaborating with external partners, vendors, and Sentara leadership to develop a technology roadmap and strategy to improve our care coordination solutions and ignite digital support for virtual and value-based care.
- Development of a wearables and biosensors evaluation and adoption strategy.
- Optimization of an omni-channel platform that maximizes cross journey impacts and value for provider, patient, member adoption and engagement.
- Automation of processes that improve quality and efficiency while driving an AXD (Automation Experience Design) framework for continuous change and enhanced value creation.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
The following represent essential functions and responsibilities of the Vice President. They are not listed in any particular order of priority.
- Lead overall digital IT assessments, ideation and roadmap planning, new technology implementation and scale; maintain an understanding of industry best practices to continuously identify areas of IT improvement
- Utilizing a multi-channel approach, create a multi-experience digital platform strategy encompassing web, mobile, chat, voice, augmented reality, wearable technologies, and IoT (Internet of Things) endpoints
- Introduce automation, artificial intelligence, and predictive learning initiatives that drive the future of sustainable and quality healthcare delivery
- Review technology innovation opportunities and investments and ensure that Sentara is prioritizing its solutions against its strategic plan
- Serve as a bidirectional conduit with the entrepreneurial community to facilitate piloting and collaborating on promising new business ventures and ideas
- Identify potential strategic partners and negotiate to close high-value deals with those partners
- Assess and identify innovative patient engagement tools and digital health technology that can be applied to the organization’s needs
- Support better health outcomes through the creation of digital experiences and digital platforms
- Directly accountable for the overall planning, leadership, and direction of the digital platform strategy and deliverables for the health system and health plan
- Partner across the business and with the marketing organization
- Ensure capabilities, solutions and tools are built in a consumer-centric manner to leverage the voice of the customer as defined by the marketing organization
- Provide strategic analysis and insights to drive the strategic planning process and the evolution of a short- and long-term strategic plan to support the digital platform
- Support high priority, high impact strategic, digital/innovation, operational, and organizational projects
- Foster an internal culture of teamwork and integration that drives excellent service, quality, diversity of thought, an engaging work environment, and overall performance improvement
- Understand the use of new and emerging digital technologies. Stay up to date with the latest digital technologies and trends
- Engage and lead cross-functional expert teams to identify digital execution priorities to be included in the digital technology roadmap
Master’s Level Degree
Minimum of 10 years of experience in innovation, transformation, healthcare technology, digital product development or related with a strong understanding of the business needs and competitive challenges of the health care industry required
Minimum of 5 years in management and leadership roles at previous organizations